PDA

View Full Version : Coated Knife Blade

Leigh Costello
09-17-2006, 12:16 PM
Hi everyone. I have a customer who would like his pocket knife blade lasered. The blade is stainless steel with some type of black coating or paint. My question is this, will lasering through this coating of unknown properties be like using Cermark? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Joe Pelonio
09-17-2006, 1:11 PM
No, cermark is a chemical that turns black under laser power. What you would be doing is more like engraving on annodized aluminum, laser etching off the paint to reveal the bare metal underneath in the form of the lettering/graphics. I would suggest keeping the engraving to an area of the blade that is not likely to get rubbed when the knife is used (away from the edge).

Mike Null
09-17-2006, 2:01 PM
It is likely an oxidized blade. I have not had success with that finish. Maybe somebody else has.

Joe Pelonio
09-17-2006, 3:31 PM
If that's what it is I have not tried it either. Best make no guarantees and warn him that you will try it but it may not work.

George M. Perzel
09-17-2006, 5:25 PM
Hi;
Probably black oxide-will laser off at fairly low power and leave bright silver lettering-looks great-have done a number of them.
George

Leigh Costello
09-17-2006, 11:17 PM
Thanks for all of the replies. I had already told my customer no guarantees on this knife. I will give it a shot tomorrow. Thanks again.

Mike Null
09-18-2006, 11:14 AM
Leigh:

Let us know how it worked out.