PDA

View Full Version : OT Ground squriels

Steve Roxberg
10-11-2003, 10:39 PM
I have some (how about a dozen) of the little rodents around my house. The dog is spending his day trying to dig them out of the ground.

Instead of trying to teach my dog not to dig, I would prefer to remove the attraction.

Has anyone had luck trapping, or killing the little ground squirels?

Please give me advice, posion probably isn't an option.

Kevin Gerstenecker
10-11-2003, 11:09 PM
Steve, a couple of years ago my Folks had a pretty good "Collection" of Ground Squirrels, or Chipmunks as we call them. The little rascals are cute to look at and it's fun to watch their antics, but they can do some damage if left unchecked. Dad had good luck trapping them in a live trap. He just used in-the-shell peanuts for bait, and they fell for it everytime. He would take them for a ride a few miles away and turn them loose. I don't think poison is a good idea, because your, or a neighbors dog, could ingest that stuff and be harmed or killed. Check with the local Animal Control, Humane Society, or Wildlife Rescue Organization. Many times these organizations will have live traps that you can borrow for free. If not, a small live trap is relatively inexpensive. Good Luck with your new friends! :D