PDA

View Full Version : David Marks

Robert Mickley
09-17-2006, 12:19 AM
Any one watch him turn that vase tonight? I almost cried when he took the finished one to the bandsaw and cut it in half length wise

Cecil Arnold
09-17-2006, 12:23 AM
As he said when he made the cut, he does sacrifice for his show.

Bernie Weishapl
09-17-2006, 12:31 AM
Yep caught that Robert. Boy that does want to make a grown man cry.

Robert Mickley
09-17-2006, 12:51 AM
Got to admit one thing, his walls where pretty uniform for using nothing but a pair of figure eight calipers.

Cecitl, I did like that line

Ernie Nyvall
09-17-2006, 6:41 AM
Any one watch him turn that vase tonight? I almost cried when he took the finished one to the bandsaw and cut it in half length wise

Don't tell me that was on the DIY channel.I didn't even look to see what was turning this weekend.

Dennis Peacock
09-17-2006, 7:32 AM
Yea, that does make one wanna cry....but Raffin does the same things on some of his video's to show thickness consistency. Just not sure I could to that on something I made. :rolleyes:

Jim Dunn
09-17-2006, 8:31 AM
It'd be like cutting up one of my dogs:eek:;) He's just an artist with wood.

John Shuk
09-17-2006, 9:12 AM
I guess when you can do it again and again you can do such things.

George Conklin
09-17-2006, 11:01 AM
As he said when he made the cut, he does sacrifice for his show.

You could tell he hated to do it.

He is a man of incredible talents. I'd love to meet him in person. I could see myself pulling a "We're not worthy" Wayne's World, in front of him:rolleyes: .

Lee DeRaud
09-17-2006, 11:11 AM
Yea, that does make one wanna cry....but Raffin does the same things on some of his video's to show thickness consistency. Just not sure I could to that on something I made. :rolleyes:At least not on purpose. :eek:
But I doubt Marks gets many "accidental cross-sections".:cool:

Mark Marzluf
09-17-2006, 6:04 PM
I'd love to meet him in person. I could see myself pulling a "We're not worthy" Wayne's World, in front of him:rolleyes: .

Been there, done that....... :D

Well........ ok, so I didn't actually say the words, but sure felt like it at first. Then, the more you talk to him, you realize he's nothing more then another woodworker that's had more years of practice. His skills are high, but not unobtainable.

One thing's for sure, he's not stuck on himslef like some other artist seem to get. He's really down to earth and easy to talk to.... I really felt for him though as he ever so politely answered some of the silliest questions you'd ever heard.. THAT takes patience...

If any of you ever have a chance to take one of his classes or meet him at a show, I strongly urge you to do so.

Joe Mioux
09-17-2006, 6:07 PM
Hopefully, he stuck a piece of "something" (copper comes to mind) between the two segments and glued it back together.

Joe

Steve Clardy
09-17-2006, 6:22 PM
Been there, done that....... :D

Well........ ok, so I didn't actually say the words, but sure felt like it at first. Then, the more you talk to him, you realize he's nothing more then another woodworker that's had more years of practice. His skills are high, but not obtainable.

One thing's for sure, he's not stuck on himslef like some other artist seem to get. He's really down to earth and easy to talk to.... I really felt for him though as he ever so politely answered some of the silliest questions you'd ever heard.. THAT takes patience...

If any of you ever have a chance to take one of his classes or meet him at a show, I strongly urge you to do so.

:confused: :confused: :confused: Fill me in here Mark. His skills are not obtainable?
Steve:)

Mark Marzluf
09-17-2006, 8:54 PM
Sorry... Meant UN-obtainable. Fixed now in the thread.

A few years ago, I really went through a phase of "I'll never be that good" and seriously considered selling off all the tools.

After about a week of self pitty, I had a relevation. Everything in woodworking is a matter of steps. That's it......

No one has a magic wand.... Some have more of an "artistic eye" than others, but that doesn't mean you can't produce something just as nice. Remember, art is in the eye of the beholder.

I'm now much more focused and try to work on one of three things each time I woodwork. The things I try to work on are three important principals in ww'ing.

Patience, Precision, Perfection.... I'm no where NEAR meeting all three 100% yet. But working on at least one each time I'm out in the shop gets me closer every day. Not only that, but they're all related to one another.... Patience will bring precision.. Precision will bring perfection.

I almost hate to even talk about it, cause there's TONS of people out there that are way better than me. BUT..... I refuse to fall back on "I'll never be that good" because that just holds you back.

If you haven't seen any of David's personal DVD's yet, go get one. The shows that he's now producing on his own are WAY more informative than DIY could have ever made it in the 1/2 hour time slot. After seeing one of his pieces come together with every step explained, you may quickly realize the same thing I did.... It wasn't that I wasn't that good, it was that I wasn't allowing myself to be that good. The extra steps that he takes and the attention to detail is what sets his work aside.

Steve Clardy
09-17-2006, 9:22 PM
Hmmm.

Well. Trying to type out something here without sounding like a butt.:)

There's no one better than David, nor can attain his skills?

Or----------

Are you saying David's the best in your mind?

Jim A. Smith
09-17-2006, 9:33 PM
[quote=Mark Marzluf]Nope...... they're not.

Where does Sam Maloof fit in.
Below
Above

He's my woodworker Idol;) :)

Joe Mioux
09-17-2006, 10:12 PM
:confused: :confused: :confused: Fill me in here Mark. His skills are not obtainable?
Steve:)

hmmmm....

I wonder....

"His skills are not obtainable" or maybe "His skills are not unobtainable."

just thinking..

Joe

Steve Clardy
09-17-2006, 10:14 PM
hmmmm....

I wonder....

just thinking..

Joe

Yes. Has me mumbling. Which one? Hmmm:confused: :)

Alan Simpson
09-17-2006, 10:29 PM
Nope...... they're not.

Wow... that's a depressing outlook you have. If I didn't think I could attain ANYTHING I put my mind to, I might as well just lay on the couch all day.

Mark Marzluf
09-17-2006, 10:46 PM
hmmmm....

I wonder....

just thinking..

Joe

OOPS !! Joe's right..... I wondered why everyone was getting my message mixed up.. Turns out, cause my message WAS mixed up. :o

Sorry guys..... I meant UN-obtainable. If you read the rest of my message and the second reply I made, you'll see that I obviously meant the later..

Sorry for the oops...

Alan Simpson
09-17-2006, 10:49 PM
OK. I can get off the couch now. ;)

Lee DeRaud
09-18-2006, 12:42 AM
Where does Sam Maloof fit in.
Below
Above

He's my woodworker Idol;) :)Sideways. Maloof's body of work is obviously much larger: Marks has about 40 years of catching up to do there.

In terms of design chops? I think Marks is showing slightly more range so far. Whether his stuff is better is somewhat a matter of taste, since they're not really doing comparable pieces. A side effect of that wider range is that his stuff isn't as instantly recognizable as Maloof's: it remains to be seen whether his style develops a distinct "signature" as he gets older.