PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly Buffer H4380

Dave Lehnert
09-16-2006, 11:19 PM
Looking to pick up a buffer to polish metal items. Anyone own the grizzly H4380 and have an opinion of it? $79.99 http://www.grizzly.com/products/h4380

Also was looking at the Harbor Freight model 40668. $59.99 I know all about HF quality but it’s just a buffer (or is it?)

lou sansone
09-17-2006, 5:46 AM
dave it is only a buffer, but I have in the past had a HF type of grinder ( not a buffer, but close) and it was a real piece of junk. it supposedly had a 1/2hp motor, but even a mouse could stop it. I now have an older Rockwell buffer ( pretty sure it is a baldor motor ) that is about the same hp, but there is now way you can stop it. I have no experience with the green machine. There are nice used american made baldor buffers that come up for sale if you can wait.

lou

tod evans
09-17-2006, 12:26 PM
dave, polishing metal takes torque and due to the design of buffers, with the shafts extended out from the casing there is far more stress put on the bearings than on a conventional grinder. i use a buffer to sharpen my edge tools on a homemade wheel and have found that i perfer a 1750 motor over the 3450 ones as they seem to have more torque for a given amp draw. once again lou offers sage advice.....02 tod