PDA

View Full Version : Questions for sliding table owners.

Matt Meiser
10-11-2003, 10:32 PM
I'm rethinking the panel saw idea after seeing the flip top panel cart posted by Jerry Todd. Instead, I'm thinking of building a cart like this and getting a sliding table. I've read Terry Hatfield's review of the Exactor and read a few reviews of the Delta (I have a Delta contractor saw BTW.) The Exactor looks very nice and most people seem to like the Delta as well. The big question in my mind is how much crosscut capacity do I need? The Exactor EX26X can crosscut a full 4' while most of the others (Delta, Excalibur, Exactor EX26) are 24-36". The Excalibur seems the same as the Exactor EX26 for about the same price-$500. The Delta is considerably less, about $300

For those who have sliding tables, is the 4' crosscut worth the space and money or would 24" be enough for most use?

I'd also aprreciate comments on the various brands.

Terry Hatfield
10-12-2003, 12:22 PM
Matt,

I really did a bunch or research before making my decision.

I saw the Rockler (same as the Mule) when I was at Ray's this spring. Ray was not impresssed with it and after seeing it in person, I ruled that one off the list.

I looked at the Grizzly sliding table the last time I was in Springield. It did not impress me. The Grizzly is exactly the same as the Delta. It just seemed kinda cheesy to me and I did not like the round bars protruding out the front of the saw, so I ruled that one off the list as well.

I really wanted the capability to crosscut a full sheet of plywood. The Exaktor EX26X fit the bill and took up the least amont of space. The X means you get the longer rails and the narrower (18") table. One thing about the Exaktor that I really liked was it can be positioned on the saw so you can crosscut 27" with the fence at the front of the table. I really like the fence at the front much better than at the rear. After speaking with Phil at Exaktor, I was convinced that the EX26X was the right choice. I have been totally satisfied with my purchase. I had a tough time justifing the cost of the table, but I believe that it was a good purchase and I would not want to be without it now that I am used to it.

What I did to try and get a feel for how much room I was going to give up was to put a 18" wide cardboard box on the floor next to the saw for a few weeks prior to actually purchasing the table. I did the same with the box moved out to 36" and decided that the 18" table would be fine, but the 36" table was just to big.

Terry

Kirk (KC) Constable
10-13-2003, 7:00 AM
I've not studied up on the sliding tables, but I probably should have before we bought the JET add-on for the mesquite outfit. I have no idea what the Grizzly/Delta looks like, but what Terry mentions about tube(s) sticking out at the front of the saw is a definite issue with the JET as well. The JET also requires removal of the left wing of the table top because it attaches to the cabinet...I'm not sure other types do. There isn't any support at the outside end of the JET...no feet on the floor, and the heavy tube swing-arm design sags under weight. I've seen an Excalibur in person now, and like it better. I've also found that the whole sliding table affair (and particularly the fence) get in the way much more often than I would've thought. Does it cut square? Yes, it does. Is it easier or more useful than a panel saw? I don't think so.

KC

Bart Leetch
10-13-2003, 11:50 AM
If you have a small shop a panel saw makes more sense. Of course getting my Dewalt for $100 without a saw did make the decision easier.

The problem is I just don't have Terrie's shop.

The Panel-saw has helped to make more floor space in my shop. Now my 50"deep out feed table/bench will be replaced by a nice bench 36"deep x 5' or 6' long across the back side of the table saw. In a small shop you measure things in inches instead of feet. Also I don't very often need 8' on each end of the table-saw(because of the panel-saw) so I have 6' or maybe a little less on the in-feed side & way over 8' on the out-feed side, this allowed me a little more floor space. A13'5" x 24'5" shop is small when your a tool collector.

Matt Meiser
10-13-2003, 4:30 PM
Kirk, Are you saying that you wouldn't buy the slider again? Or just not the Jet?

My impression of sliders is that I can use it to essentially replace my miter guage. Is this a fair impression?

Terry, how did you order the EX-26X? I only see the regular EX-26 listed on the order form. They don't have pricing on it either.

Terry Hatfield
10-13-2003, 8:12 PM
Matt,

The "X" is not listed on their website. Just give Phil a call at Exaktor and he can fill you in on all the details.

Terry

Matt Meiser
10-14-2003, 2:34 PM
Thanks all. I just ordered the EX26X. Hopefully it will be here by Friday so I can install over the weekend.

Terry Hatfield
10-14-2003, 7:50 PM
Matt,

Cool...I think you will really like it. Let me know if I can answer any questions.

Terry