PDA

View Full Version : please help

leu WAy
09-16-2006, 4:56 PM
Hello,
It may sound stupid
I started a project and I mess up at the end. I installed laminate floor and I was in the process in doing the shoe molding and assumed that glueing is more easier than nailing is I purchased a bottle of Gorilla Glue and started working...
I had no problem and day later I noticed that there was several drops on the floor. I couldn't remove it and went to Home Depot and they recommended an adhesive remover "747 plus" this did not work for me so please help me . The spots are noticeable easily.
Please help I am at your mercy.

:o :mad:
thank you.

Jesse Cloud
09-16-2006, 6:20 PM
Hey Leu,
Congrats on your first post.

I don't know of a solvent for gorilla glue (polyurethane glue), but it comes off easily by mechanical methods. I would try a razor blade or scraper - very gently so as not to gouge the flooring. If there is any residue left, maybe a little elbow grease with a wet scotch pad in the grey or purple color.

By the way, too late now, but gorilla glue is not great for applying trim. It needs firm clamping pressure, but if it starts to come loose, try a nail;) .

Good luck and let us know how it came out.

scott spencer
09-16-2006, 6:24 PM
Jesse's advice is right on the money...just scrape it off with a sharp blade.

leu WAy
09-16-2006, 7:22 PM
Jesse,
I tried a sharp tool to scrape it, but there is some grey residue left over that will not come off.
Do you think staining will help?
Thank you.

Cliff Rohrabacher
09-16-2006, 7:37 PM
the grey residue will come off in the normal course of things just by walking on it and using the floor.
Do not go further with a blade.
You could just pick at with a piece of plastic so as not to cut to flooring. Then just let it wear off.

Jesse Cloud
09-16-2006, 8:00 PM
Leu,
I'm with Cliff, lets see if it doesn't just wear off. Less is better here.

By the way, we love pictures on this board. We have a saying - No pics - then it didn't happen.

Hope you can post a pic of that new laminate floor some time.

Jesse

leu WAy
09-16-2006, 10:06 PM
I'll be more than happy to post my pics.

I am planning to do my stairs also do you gents have any recommendation? Before I do another mess.

BTW. some of you might think why I don't hire a professional to do it but believe me I would like to hire some one but ...$$$$ is the problem.:)

Mike Wenzloff
09-16-2006, 10:17 PM
Hi Leu--welcome to SMC.

Nah, we'd be the first to suggest you do it yourself even if you were rolling in money!

For trim, I prefer to use Elmer's ProBond and a few well placed brad nails. After each main run or before I change rooms/areas, I then go back and fill the very small hole with an appropriate solvent based filler. I throw on a latexe glove unless I am in a hurry so as not to get it all over. Heck, sometimes I just use snack-sized Baggies.

Then I go back with a sanding sponge and hit the little bit of filler protruding.

Take care, Mike

Ellen Benkin
09-17-2006, 1:32 PM
Don't use glue. Rent or buy a small compressor and a nail gun. You can rent them at Home Depot and Lowes, I'm sure. You will be MUCH HAPPIER with the results, and you can remove the molding when you want to re-do the floors/stairs.