PDA

View Full Version : Is it traffic or have I messed something up?

David Rose
10-11-2003, 9:54 PM
When I post a response on the Creek the past three days, I can type a whole sentence before any shows on the screen. That is a pain for a sloppy typist like this one. :D

If it is traffic, I will live with it. I just want to make sure I haven't messed up something. It doesn't occur anywhere else I venture.

David

Bobby Hatfield
10-11-2003, 10:04 PM
When I post a response on the Creek the past three days, I can type a whole sentence before any shows on the screen. That is a pain for a sloppy typist like this one. :D

If it is traffic, I will live with it. I just want to make sure I haven't messed up something. It doesn't occur anywhere else I venture.

David

Anyone heard from David Rose, haven't seen him around for days.

Hope you ain't broke sumptin.

Rob Glynn
10-11-2003, 10:27 PM
Defrag you computer. It may be nothing worse than a mess on you hard disk.

My grandkids play games online on this one and clog it up regularly. It slows down to snail pace, I give them a clout round the ears and then I defrag. Problem goes away, until next time.

Some viruses will slow things down. Get your virus scanner right up to date and then run a complete scan.

What do you have running in the background. Things like automatic updates will take up a lot of the processing power and slow everything down.

One other thing. Are you on a broadband connection? People with broadband tend to leave their computers on 24/7. Turning a computer off and then rebooting it will often resolve internal problems. We poor suckers stuck with 56K modems and telephone line connections don't have that problem because we put our computers to bed each night.

David Rose
10-11-2003, 10:32 PM
H Grouchy! I'm still here. Just wrestling with termites and the guys sent to repair their lunches. Man! It's been over a month since I have cut anything besides a few scabs for the pest guys. I don't know if I will remember how to cut a board for real. C'mon! Feel sorry for me! ;)

This typing thing is the pits. Also sometimes when I relaod the screen I get text only. Anyone have any ideas where to start trouble shooting this?

David

David Rose
10-12-2003, 1:38 AM
Rob, thanks for the suggestions. Most of these were the first things I tried, though I don't get much fragmenting.

Wouldn't most of these effect all programs though? I posted to a couple of other groups and all was normal. None of my personal programs seem effected either. I am still dialup by the way. And nothing new is running in the background. I don't run anything that doesn't need to be open normally.

I've been running an older Mcaffee virus scan version and they recently quit supporting it with updates. That does concern me. I should be at least a couple of updates behind.

Am I the only one having this problem?

David

Defrag you computer. It may be nothing worse than a mess on you hard disk.

My grandkids play games online on this one and clog it up regularly. It slows down to snail pace, I give them a clout round the ears and then I defrag. Problem goes away, until next time.

Some viruses will slow things down. Get your virus scanner right up to date and then run a complete scan.

What do you have running in the background. Things like automatic updates will take up a lot of the processing power and slow everything down.

One other thing. Are you on a broadband connection? People with broadband tend to leave their computers on 24/7. Turning a computer off and then rebooting it will often resolve internal problems. We poor suckers stuck with 56K modems and telephone line connections don't have that problem because we put our computers to bed each night.

Joe Suelter
10-12-2003, 7:11 PM
Hi David...I had this very thing happen to me a couple weeks ago. I thought the whole computer was toast. A good friend of mine is a Network Technician, and he came by to take a look. He suggested I use a tool made by LavaSoft, called AdAware 6.0. This program removes all Spyware and data-miners from your computer. I had version 5.83, but the newer version found over 53 "bugs" on my machine. This is a free download from their website, other versions are for pay only. I've used 5.83 for about three years, with very good luck. Also, 6.0 is fully upgradeable. I upgrade mine about once a week to get new files, just like Norton. To make a long story short, these data-miners and Spyware were making my computer slow to a grinding halt, once cleared, everything was good as new. When I went to say E-Bay before, just like you said I could type what I was looking for and about 10 seconds later it would show up in the field...very annoying. Try this software, it's free, and it does work! No affilitaion, blah, blah, blah.

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

Bob Lasley
10-12-2003, 9:35 PM
David,

I have been having the same problem and only on the Creek. I just ran my Ad-aware and it didn't help. If you come up with a fix, please let me know.

Bob

David Rose
10-12-2003, 11:18 PM
Joe, I'll download that right now. As Bob said, it may not catch it but it will likley do some needed house cleaning.

I finally found an update for my old virus scanner last night. It found a virus, my first I guess in 10 years of computing. It is called Reg/seeker and can do such with browser speeds as that is what it goes after. McAfee found it, couldn't clean it then couldn't find it to delete it. I should have tried delete first, but it likely wouldn't have done it. So now it has changed its name and moved to another location. I have searched for files with known text or file names and searched the Regristry. It's well hidden now. I thought it might have deleted itself but it keeps setting my browser to unknown default search and home pages. It's an interesting though frustrating "game". I'm so glad it is not a more serious program.

Thanks

David

Hi David...I had this very thing happen to me a couple weeks ago. I thought the whole computer was toast. A good friend of mine is a Network Technician, and he came by to take a look. He suggested I use a tool made by LavaSoft, called AdAware 6.0. This program removes all Spyware and data-miners from your computer. I had version 5.83, but the newer version found over 53 "bugs" on my machine. This is a free download from their website, other versions are for pay only. I've used 5.83 for about three years, with very good luck. Also, 6.0 is fully upgradeable. I upgrade mine about once a week to get new files, just like Norton. To make a long story short, these data-miners and Spyware were making my computer slow to a grinding halt, once cleared, everything was good as new. When I went to say E-Bay before, just like you said I could type what I was looking for and about 10 seconds later it would show up in the field...very annoying. Try this software, it's free, and it does work! No affilitaion, blah, blah, blah.

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

David Rose
10-12-2003, 11:27 PM
Bob, I don't know if Reg/seeker virus is causing my problem, but I found out that most virus software will not clean it out of the registry. In fact it sounds like (from posts on virus forums) that once it is found or files for it discovered that it is very hard to eliminate. I was lead to believe that with a few exceptions virus software would get them. This is suppose to be a very common virus for about two years, but Mcafee didn't catch it until this update. And it won't eliminate it this time. Reports from many folks say their virus programs do no better. Hmmm...

I'll let you know if I find anything that helps with the typing speed. You really have to want to say somthing to put up with this don't you?

David

David,

I have been having the same problem and only on the Creek. I just ran my Ad-aware and it didn't help. If you come up with a fix, please let me know.

Bob

Joe Suelter
10-13-2003, 12:02 AM
David...let us know what you find...sounds interesting to see what the problem is with your system. Also, as a side note about AdAware, I delete everything that it finds, all those files are usually garbage, I haven't saved one yet, and I scan a couple times a week. Also, look for updates very frequently for this as well as your virus protection! I run Norton, and I have it set up to automatically download updates daily at 3:00 A.M. Good luck!

David Rose
10-13-2003, 12:16 AM
Joe, a new glitch with Ad-Aware for my system is that it is designed to run on Win98 and later. I have some old software who's last update was for Win95 that we use in our business, so I can't upgrade at this point. Do you know if it will run at all on Win95? I wrote asking Lavasoft.

Hey! This is printing to screen AS I TYPE!!!! I downloaded a program called Cool Web Shredder that was recommended on their site. It searches for and removes the "Cool Web" browser virus. I didn't know if I had that one but thought I'd run it and see. Hopefully I didn't damage anything else as I just let it do it's thing. Nice to see myself type again! :cool:

Bob, I got it from a place that is no telling where. Found it recommended in one of their forums by a moderator. If you want it... Phooey! Check your email and the zip will be attached. Use it at your own risk or just trash it. I'll send right after I get off here.

David

David...let us know what you find...sounds interesting to see what the problem is with your system. Also, as a side note about AdAware, I delete everything that it finds, all those files are usually garbage, I haven't saved one yet, and I scan a couple times a week. Also, look for updates very frequently for this as well as your virus protection! I run Norton, and I have it set up to automatically download updates daily at 3:00 A.M. Good luck!

Lee Schierer
10-13-2003, 8:10 AM
I like Spybot as a junk ad remover. It is also free and is really easy to use. It does not seem to be wiondows version sensitive. It found lots of things on every computer I've run it on.

Just don't ever click on those ads that you see the promise to speed up your internet connection. Some of those actually make things worse and will redirect you to their sponsored sites.

Jim Becker
10-13-2003, 8:52 AM
One of my fellow forum hosts at WOOD ONLINE reported to me that his computer was performing similar to what you describe. He found an older virus, isas.exe, (missed by both McAfee and AVG) that was just calling DLLs to run the CPU up to about 90% constantly. This bugger circumvented ZoneAlarm, too! It was a pain to remove as it was a totally manual process...

With your need to stay with early versions of Windows (Win95 is unsupported and Win98 about to be so...that was delayed a few months by Microsoft) it's going to become difficult to find protective programs and fixes. It may be time to press your business software provider for a new version that runs on an operating system that isn't almost 7-8 years old!

Aaron Koehl
10-13-2003, 9:00 AM

DavidDavid,

There are several occurances where this can occur-- but it's not
related to the SawmillCreek software. If the computer is running low on
any resources, frequent writes to the hard drive can slow things down--
that is, running low on RAM due to a virus (like Jim said) or memory leaks
(typical for both IE and Netscape).

What I think we have, however, is a horsepower problem- The fancy new
reply box (with colors and all) requires more resources than the standard
text box.

Try turning it off and seeing if everything returns to normal.
In your User Control Panel > Use vBCode quick links on your message input screens?: Turn off the WYSIWYG Toolbar.

There is also a known bug in IE6 that cause certain versions to have
delayed form entry--but if it's only happening here at SMC, it's probably
because your browser ver. or setup doesn't like the nice WYSIWYG
toolbar. An upgrade is usually the answer.

Cheers,

_Aaron_

Bob Lasley
10-13-2003, 1:22 PM
David,

Whoopee!! That did it. Everything is back to normal. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Bob

David Rose
10-14-2003, 12:02 AM
Bob, glad your system is working right again. But I'll take no credit. In fact that one was an unusual thing for me to try. I ususally get several recommendations before trying anything. But desperation was setting in. :(

My system resources have been in the high 70s most of the time. I don't think that was the problem.

I downloaded Spybot. It searched for and couldn't find a Win98 file. The file was on my drive so I copied it to the Windows directory and Spybot loaded. I hope it is not treating me like a Win 98 machine. At any rate, I let it search. It found 24 system threats! I looked at each one and am pretty convinced that they files were all what Spybot thinks. I let it do it's job. I've only checked mail and come here since. Hopefully, nothing was important that was cleaned/deleted.

For nearly all my 10 years of computing, I've run virus software. I've kept it up to date until the past couple of weeks. I've used it fairly regularly and NEVER found a viurs. A couple of days ago it found a virus. It wouldn't clean or delete it. Since then I've searched for Trojans and several other system threats with various tools. As of tonight I've found 30! I've still not found a way to deal with them all, but most are now off the system. What a deal!

Thanks everyone for all the help. I'll let you know if anything more shows up. I still haven't heard from the one company that deals with the ad popups. Hopefully their software will work on Win 95. Yes, it is probably time to upgrade, but I have several slow machines... And I don't relish upgrading a lot of software. I did that for years and enjoyed a lot of it. I'm tired...

David

Lia Taft
06-18-2004, 2:25 AM
Hi guys,
i hope i'm in the right place :)
Before I start, shud mention that i don't know that much about computers functioning, i know applications but not the hardware stuff so pls bare w/me.
I've been having problems with my comp recently, I think there is a virus, but my dad have rebooted it, changed the hardware and all that quiet a few times already but whenever I go on the comp everything get's messed up. I tried the elimination process to see if it's any particular site that I go to or the yahoo messenger but still i haven't figured the stie.
The only site that I haven't avoided each time is hotmail which it hardly gets into it anyway and keeps giving me the page not found error and I can't see what could be about hotmail that could have virus either.

Here's what happens:
1. Keeps giving the error of page not find when I go on the net.
2. Sometimes can't get to msn to sign up either.
3. When I go to msconfig it closes it in a few seconds.
4. Same thing with Norton, when i try to run norton suddenly it just closes and won't run.
5. When I want to turn of the computer or restart it doesn't give me the shut down and restart option sometimes, instead it's just change user and log off option.
6. Oh and once in a while i get a messege saying the comp will shut down (which usually it doesn't), it has a timer too and the messege starts like this:
C:\ wondow\system32\Isass.exe (i can't remember if it was isas.exe or isass.exe, from this german site apparently isas.exe is a virus but the translated site wasn't clear enough so i didn't understand it that well)

If anyone could help me it would be great it will prevent me from being banned from the computer :) as my dad is coming to conclusion i'm the virus myself :D

Tnx in advance

Aaron Koehl
06-19-2004, 8:36 PM
Sasser virus:

Download the removal tool from securityresponse.symantec.com.