PDA

View Full Version : Veritus bevel up plane - old review questions

Robert Trotter
09-16-2006, 11:01 AM
Hi people.

I am unable to see the Veritas planes in person so have to go from what I read and see on the net. I have read a few older reviews about the Veritus LA jack and LA smoother . So I would appreciate some updated info on them.

One point was about how much (or little) room there was between the handle (tote) and the depth adjuster knob. Is this still the case or has it been fixed?

I was also wondering if anyone has had trouble with the mouth adjuster coming loose in use because of accidentally loosening the front knob (??). This was on a pretty old article or post, can't quite remember now.

I would think that all these little problems would have been worked by now as the articles were from near to when they were first released, but an update would be nice.

Also having not used a noris style adjuster since I was a wee grasshopper (when a plane was a great thing with lots of things to twist and turn) is it hard to adjust? Does it get put out of lateral adjustment when you adjust for depth or the other way around?

Thanks.
Still trying to decide:o

Mike Wenzloff
09-16-2006, 11:25 AM
Hi Robert,

I can only speak to the LA smoother. I find no room issues between the tote and adjuster. Mine is several years old, so if they have changed it, I wouldn't know.

I have never accidently loosened the front knob.

The Norris-style adjuster works great. I have noticed no movement of the lateral adjustment when depthing the blade--but that's not something I do very often either. After honing I may readjust, but otherwise it just goes back in and back to work.

If you are referring to Alice's [Alf] review or Derek's, try emailing them in case they do not see this thread.

Take care, Mike

Brad Olson
09-16-2006, 1:39 PM
Lee Valley will take a plane back unconditionally if you are unhappy and even pay shipping. They understand that you can't see the plane in person and don't want to to have a plane from them that you don't like.

I never had problem with room between the adjuster

It would be very difficult to accidentially loosen the knob on the tote. Combined with this, there is a set screw to position the ajustable mouth that further stabilizes it. I've never had a problem, or even felt like it could be a problem.

Wiktor Kuc
09-16-2006, 10:37 PM
Robert,

I am not sure if you have seen Derek's reviews, but all his stuff is here now, in one place:

http://www.wkfinetools.com/contrib/dCohen/index.asp

Good Luck,

Gary Herrmann
09-17-2006, 2:12 AM
Read the reviews Wiktor posted by Derek.

I've got the LA jointer, jack and BU smoother. I've got fairly big hands. I have no problems using the planes or adjusting the irons. Unless you have hands the size of catcher's mitts, you won't have a problem.

Mark Singer
09-17-2006, 9:09 AM
I have all 3 bevel up planes from veritas.....they are excellent and I have no problem holding and using them. The adjusters are great also. The jointer plane with the fence is excellent! I am using it on 12 foot long boards that are too long to run through my power jointer...

Robert Trotter
09-18-2006, 3:27 AM
Thanks everyone for your info.

Roger Nixon
09-19-2006, 12:52 PM
Lots of room from tote to adjuster knob.

http://www.traditionaltools.us/cms/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/10002-lvgrip1.jpg

There is no problem with the front knob messing up the mouth opening. If you have the stop screw set, the mouth can't get tighter and, unless you are pulling the plane :confused: , you won't open it up. I haven't had any problem with the knob coming loose in any case.

You shouldn't crank hard enough on the depth adjustment to knock the lateral adjustment off. I don't like using the adjuster for fine lateral adjustment. A light mallet tap or two is more precise.

Robert Trotter
09-19-2006, 7:36 PM
Thanks a lot Roger. A picture is worth a thousand words. Very clear.:)

Rob.

Alice Frampton
09-20-2006, 3:03 AM
The room between tote and adjuster on the jack was never a problem though...

I have a feeling something was done about the low angle smoother (possibly just the change of rear tote design did enough), but I'm not 100% sure, so rather than provide inaccurate info I suggest a quick line to LV direct should provide an answer.

Cheers, Alf