PDA

View Full Version : Gross Stabil clamps in the longer lengths

Dan McLaughlin
10-11-2003, 9:14 PM
Has anyone used the longer length Gross Stabil clamps (60", 80" 100")? Are they as effective at the longer length as they are in the shorter ones or is one better off using Ponys with either 1/2" or 3/4" black pipe. Is the reduction in weight offset by a reduction in stability and strength? And then there is the economics........ I'm looking at the longer length clamps after the last couple of "Jorgie feeding frenzies" have at least started my clamp inventory in the shorter end. One can never have too many clamps :) or too many routers :D Thanks

Ted Shrader
10-12-2003, 10:15 AM
Don -

See <a href="http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?threadid=4294">this thread</a> for some pictures.

I have up to 50" Besseys. For longer set ups, pipe clamps get used. I have call for long (72" or better) maybe once every two years. It is also easy to "gang" pipe clamps by turning the heads 90° to each other or by using couplers to make them longer.

If somebody gave me long Besseys or GSs, I wouldn't refuse them. :D :D :D

Ted

Steve Clardy
10-12-2003, 4:20 PM
I have lots of clamps. I use mostly 6" through 36" clamps. Very seldom do I use anything much longer. I have 4' I bar clamps that get used maybe 1-2 times a year. Like Ted, if I go over 4', I dig out the pipe clamps, and with couplers, can go to 12' if needed.
I just bought a load of Jorgys, 24" and 36". Very nice clamps. Personally, if they hadn't been on sale I would have never considered buying them as I think they all are overpriced for my use.
It just depends on your needs and your budget as to what you get for clamps. I am about clamped out, but still trying to catch the next Jorgy sale. Tool Nut Steve