PDA

View Full Version : EBay Cyclone

Jim Chilenski
09-15-2006, 8:59 PM
Does anyone know anything about this unit? I realize that it's not a Clear Vue and it probably doesn't follow Bill Pentz's design specs, but it is priced very attractively if it improves the performance of a dust collector that you already own even marginally.

Moderator removed direct link to E-bay -- TOS violation

Thanks,
Jim

Steve Clardy
09-15-2006, 9:08 PM
Posting a direct link to an auction is a no-no around here Jim.:)

Now posting the auction # is fine though.

If the TOS ever gets changed, to reflect this rule, then maybe everyone will know this hidden rule here.:rolleyes: :) ;) :D

Interesting small collecter there. Don't know what to tell ya.

Andy Howard
09-15-2006, 10:12 PM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=26867

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=22907

I think those two will give you enough reading.

Andy

Justin Dreier
09-15-2006, 11:46 PM
Jim - I purchased and am using this cyclone now. Good overall quality build, but the design has some shortcomings. To make it the best it can be, I needed to add the nuetral vane and shorten the exit tube in the center of the unit. The central exit tube goes too far down into the cyclone (all of this based on the info on Bill Pents website). Although, when I say shortcomings, this still was the best solution for me.

Anyway, the good thing about the e-bay cyclone is that it's shorter than the Bill Pentz design. That is also the bad thing, becuase the shorter cyclone has dynamics that reduce it's efficiency to separate fine dust.

For me, this minor loss in fine dust efficiency was ok, since I required a shorter cyclone due to low ceiling height. Since I added two Wynn Environmental canister filters, I new I would just need to clean them more often.

I powered this unit with a home built 3HP motor and 14" impeller. With this setup, it really "SUCKS" air. A huge lift over the single stage 2HP HF that I had. Of course the power change is the result of the motor and impeller and not the cyclone. Any cyclone itself reduces the airflow/power. The goal of the cyclone is the separate wood chips and dust before it gets to the filter material.

Feel free to ask any specific questions you have about this cyclone and a homebuilt setup. There will be other great suggestions from other members as well. Regards, Justin