PDA

View Full Version : The verdict, Universal or Epilog.

Carlos Chiossone
09-15-2006, 7:54 PM
I find in this bord, one issue after another issue with Epilog's lasers. I don't see many about Universal. Does that tell us something. Or perhaps is just the month for Epilog issues and next will be ULS?

I saw a demo today of the Universal 360. I am convinced and now bias for ULS.

Your opinion?

Dave Fifield
09-15-2006, 8:03 PM
I think what it means is that most people on SMC have an Epilog laser engraver....not that they are unreliable! What you need to make your decision are the hard statistics that give the failure rate of each brand. That information is not available to the general public as far as I can tell.

:Dave F.

Bruce Volden
09-15-2006, 8:56 PM
Epilog, Trotec, ULS, GCC, LMI, Mercuries, Spirits........and the multitude of others, they will ALL eventually cause you to part with some cash! Hopefully it will be later rather than sooner. These are, after all, machines. All machines have a life expectancy. Some have limitations with bed size, wattages available, weight of objects on the table......

After thinking about this it's like fishing, it's a lot cheaper going to the fish store and buying some fillets. Owning a boat, buying bait, gas, licenses, rods,reels....is a lot more expensive than just buying some walleye fillets at the fish store!!!

Anyone need some lasers, I'm subbing out :) :) :)

Bruce

Joe Pelonio
09-16-2006, 1:42 PM
At the risk of sounding like an advertisement, I rec'd a card from Epilog, they are offering the Helix until 10/6/06 with a 2 YEAR warranty.It's not just the tube but "bumper to bumper". Encouraging...

Mike Hood
09-16-2006, 9:06 PM
My Pinnacle ZX 40W came with a 2 year warranty as well. Covers everything but the mirrors and lens. I was able to get a much better package deal quote through Sign Warehouse on the ZX than I was on an Epilog or Universal.

I've been really happy with everything overall so far.

Ed Lang
09-16-2006, 9:36 PM
My ULS M-30 is cranking out more product right now for us to take tomorrow, the last day of a three day show. I am happy with my 50w unit but sure could use a larger table and a second machine!! My second machine will be a USL.

All of this is of coures my opinion and nothing more.

Good luck with whatever you get.
ed