PDA

View Full Version : Sealing a Rainbow Playset

Rob Bodenschatz
09-15-2006, 7:34 PM
We have a Rainbow brand playset made of redwood. It's about 1 1/2 years old and I'd like to keep it in good condition for the next decade or so. Does anyone have a recommendation for a sealant to keep it in good shape? It came with a tiny sample of something but it only covered a board or two and I tossed the bottle.

Jon Eckels
09-15-2006, 8:03 PM
Penofin is the best stuff I know of - I don't know what the rainbow playset comes finished with, but if it's been weathering for a year and a half you should be fine to re-finish with the Penofin. it's not cheap stuff, but it's very durable.

Ben Grunow
09-15-2006, 8:43 PM
Cabots australian timber oil, soaks in to feel dry after a day or so and weathers away over a year or so. Just clean with bleach and re apply.

JayStPeter
09-16-2006, 11:25 AM
Rainbow probably sells their stuff in larger doses. Might want to give them a call.

Jay

Jim Becker
09-16-2006, 12:20 PM
When I bought our Rainbow play set earlier this year, the installer did recommend re-sealing every two years or so, but didn't specify and product. I'm thinking that even something relatively inexpensive and clear that can be sprayed on would do the job, but am looking forward to the commentary from folks with "experience".

Jay, I doubt I'd buy something like this direct from the Rainbow distributor...even with their "special discounts", things are still pretty "gold-plated". And there are so many more easily accessible products on the market.

JayStPeter
09-16-2006, 1:19 PM
Jay, I doubt I'd buy something like this direct from the Rainbow distributor...even with their "special discounts", things are still pretty "gold-plated". And there are so many more easily accessible products on the market.

While I agree in theory, our Creative Playthings version is fading from kid wear and a few years in direct sunlight. The stuff CP offers is a stain/sealer. To keep everything color matched, it seems to be the easiest thing to do. Since I'd rather be kicked in the groin than having to stain/seal the swingset, I'll take easy and slightly expensive :D :rolleyes: Too bad the swingset isn't plastic like the rest of my house exterior :cool: .

Jim Becker
09-16-2006, 1:54 PM
Since I'd rather be kicked in the groin than having to stain/seal the swingset, I'll take easy and slightly expensive

Please do take note of my signature relative to this concept...

JayStPeter
09-16-2006, 3:25 PM
Please do take note of my signature relative to this concept...

It's true, my 3 year old is just at the right height that you have to watch it when he comes running up for the power hug :eek:

Gary Herrmann
09-17-2006, 2:17 AM
When you're tall, its always a danger. Just twist your hips a bit, so the morning hug doesn't drop you to your knees.