PDA

View Full Version : Lumber framing hardware ?

Doug Shepard
09-15-2006, 5:32 PM
I'm getting to the point where I need to re-frame the closet around the cyclone DC I'm installing. The LH wall, prehung door, and door header all need to be removable should I ever need to remove the DC for motor problems. Some portions of this will be screwed into place but for others I'd like to use nuts and bolts. I'm looking for some metal splice plates and some L-brackets to bolt or screw through but can't seem to find anything (at least online). I'm picturing something maybe 1/16"-1/8" thick. I could probably make something, but I have to believe there's some off the shelf framing plates that would do the trick. The big problem stems from the fact that I'm not even sure what to call these, but I'm sure they exist. Anybody have a clue where to look and what these are called? Hopefully something available at HD, Lowes, etc.?

Jon Eckels
09-15-2006, 5:41 PM
L-Brackets is fine. Also called corner brackets, and then mending plates. Any hardware store / Deep Homo will stock them. Walmart too.

I don't know what dimensions of lumber you might be using, but if you're using 2x material, you'd be better of with framing plates, ala Simpson Strong-Tie or the like. all the angle bracket models start with an A - (i.e. A5, A35) etc. You might be better off with these. But they're thinner than the regular corner brackets and mending plates that you'd find in the hardware aisle. any Big Box will stock these as well.

If you want something nicer and heavier, Con-fast makes some excellent braces and angles... they're not cheap, but they're very strong and powder coated. They sell them in the local lumberyard here, but you might be able to find them elsewhere. I doubt they'd have something as nice in a big box. http://www.confastinc.com/

Cecil Arnold
09-15-2006, 5:55 PM
Doug, don't know what they have in the big box stores in MI, but we have all the 3X metal brackets you would need in the Borgs here.

Doug Shepard
09-15-2006, 5:58 PM
Thanks guys. I think maybe I need to go to the Borgs around here to see what they have. I think maybe they just dont have this stuff listed on their websites. I also emailed Confast to see if there are dealers close by. They definitely have some stuff shown on their site that would work.
Muchos gracias.

Mike Null
09-15-2006, 6:12 PM
If the other items are too hard to come by you can use hinges.