PDA

View Full Version : Trip around the shop - maintenance

Mitchell Andrus
09-15-2006, 4:45 PM
With all the talk of stuff blowing up/breaking down.... I'll share my preventative maintenance routine with you. Pretty simple, and it has the potential to save money and prevent injury. I run a furniture shop and the hazzards are all around me.

When the clocks change (Spring foward, Fall behind) I take a few hours and go over every tool in the shop. Lubrication, check for stress cracks, tighten loose nut and bolts, clean, inspect, frayed wires, etc.... When in doubt, fix it or toss it out.

If something falls apart, at least I can say I tried, and twice a year may not be enough, but is better than nothing at all.

Mitch

Bruce Volden
09-15-2006, 6:12 PM
Mitchell,

Are you available this weekend?? I always have good intentions of tidying up the shop, but alas, it seems something always comes up. When I DO get to sprucing things up, I find my leaf blower works down and dirty FAST!! On the other hand, my machinery I'm quite picky about and often virtually disassemble things. Checking belts, lubing, cleaning the plexiglas....don't want anymore down time than I get anyway!

Bruce

Mike Hood
09-16-2006, 12:03 AM
And I thought I was the only one who used a leaf blower. :)

I usually herd the dust into the back yard and call it mulch. :)

Phyllis Meyer
09-16-2006, 12:58 PM
Hi everyone,

Until we purchaed the laser, I honestly could not identify the tools in my husband's shop. We have a building on our property and my husband comes out of it with wonderful tables, bird houses,...other beautiful creations. I now proudly say I can name and tell you what each machine does. I really can appreciate you wood-workers out there that create beauty from a tree standing in the woods!

I had to laugh reading about the leaf-blowers...I have also discovered the air-compressor works great for sweeping:)

Have a great weekend everyone!

Sincerely,

Phyllis

Leigh Costello
09-17-2006, 12:22 PM
After reading this thread I had to share this little story...we have three outside cats who are always wanting in. Yesterday after our first dismal craft show, I cleaned up some stuff. I knew I would be finishing up today, so I left a few spots untouched. Well, one of the cats came into our shop and went right to one of the piles of dusty debris and rolled in it. The whole pile stuck to the cat! So I shushed her outside. Now, if I can just get her to finish up the job for me!
:D :D :D