PDA

View Full Version : Never tempt fate

Fred Voorhees
09-15-2006, 1:07 PM
Yesterday (Thu) coming home from work, my mind wandered to the vacation trip coming up in two weeks. For some reason, I thought "just don't get into an accident in the next two weeks." The thought process being that I need my Dodge pickup to tow our camper the roughly 250 miles to Syracuse,NY as we always do every late September/early October. Well, shouldn't have thought of that.

This morning, about five miles from home on the way to work, I'm stopped at a red light, first one in line at the intersection and minding my own bees wax. Because it was still somewhat dark at 6:10AM, I guess that caused me to look up to my rear view mirror to see some quickly oncoming headlights. Had what seemed like a millisecond to comprehend what was in the offing. Before I knew it, you got it - I was rear ended. Non-license holding foreigner wasn't paying attention I guess and plowed right into the back of my truck. Coffee all over the inside of my cab, snapped my head back against the seat, crap flew all over the place inside the cab, general mayhem for a second. Knocked the hat right off of my head (and I didn't even know that at the time until I was talking to the officer). When it was over, one of the first thoughts that crossed my mind was to go back and check the hitch area to see if there was any damage (refer to the thought the day before).:(

Surprisingly, the only damage I noticed right away was that the step bumper was turned under the body and the way it looks, the hitch actually stopped the progress of the turning inwards of the bumper. As far as I can tell, no hitch damage. The blow pushed my truck about ten feet into the intersection, which luckily, had no vehicle traffic in it at the time. Foreigner didn't want me to call the "policia", but I wasn't taking any chances, especially since I knew this one was by no means my fault. Truck was still driveable and I needed to go to work because being a foreman at this one, I needed to put together a material list for delivery for next week, and to call the mens time in for the week. Upon further inspection in the job parking lot, I noticed that the tailgate did get a bit of a dent in it and some "brushburns", so I stopped at the police station on the way home after an abreviated stay at work to take care of the essentials and informed them of the extra damage that wasn't noticed at the time of the incident.

SWMBO was concerned about maybe visiting the doctor, but I feel fine. The highback seat in the truck absolutely stopped my neck from any kind of whiplash kind of deal, though I will pay attention to it for the next day or so just in case. Dang :mad: I guess fate stepped in and played off of my thoughts of yesterday.

On the good side, I feel fine, the truck is driveable and it looks as if the trip will not be affected at all by this. I have always given the inside and outside of the truck a good cleaning before our trip so I used today as an excuse to do the interior - heck, with the Dunkin Donuts Dunkachino all over the seat and rug on the floor, it smelled real good in there so I really needed to clean either way. Out came the wifes rug and upholstery steam cleaner and the interior is now cleaned up fresh.

And life goes on........................

As I said, never tempt fate.

Took the pics below to document the damage for insurance purposes. Can't see the damage to the tailgate real well. Small indentation, but the scratches are there to see if you look closely.

Bruce Shiverdecker
09-15-2006, 1:24 PM
Glad you're OK. That's the important thing. The rest is just "Stuff".... and replacable!

Bruce

Mark Cothren
09-15-2006, 1:24 PM
Durn Fred... sorry to hear about that...

Same thing happened to me a few months back... young guy with a buddy on the way to work, not paying attention, rear-ended me while I was stopped at a light. The bad news for him was that I had my receiver hitch in - which went right into the radiator of his little SUV...:eek:

I was sore the next day and for a few days afterward, so my recommendation to you is to start taking ibuprofen (or some other anti-inflammatory) if you are able.

Glad to hear no major damage and appears to be no injury.

Fred Voorhees
09-15-2006, 1:39 PM
Glad you're OK. That's the important thing. The rest is just "Stuff".... and replacable!

Bruce

Your right Bruce! Just one of those little curve balls that life throws you once in a while. Just a close call that could have somewhat jeopardized our annual trip.

Fred Voorhees
09-16-2006, 7:14 PM
Durn Fred... sorry to hear about that...

Same thing happened to me a few months back... young guy with a buddy on the way to work, not paying attention, rear-ended me while I was stopped at a light. The bad news for him was that I had my receiver hitch in - which went right into the radiator of his little SUV...:eek:

I was sore the next day and for a few days afterward, so my recommendation to you is to start taking ibuprofen (or some other anti-inflammatory) if you are able.

Glad to hear no major damage and appears to be no injury.

UPDATE-Mark, I should have listened to you right away. Friday night my neck began to become a bit sore and is continuing today (Sat). I will be seeing my orthopedic surgeon Monday after work for a post op visit for my carpal tunnel surgery and will run it past him.

Dennis Peacock
09-16-2006, 8:01 PM
Wow Fred.....I'm very glad that it wasn't worse that it was. Very glad to hear that you suffered no real personal injury. The truck can be fixed and stuff can be replaced....but YOU can't be replaced. :D

Jim Becker
09-16-2006, 10:44 PM
I'm in agreement with what's already been said...the truck is just a thing. Your neck still being correctly stacked between your head and your shoulders is far more important!! 'Glad you're ok and alive...I'd be really sad to lose a good friend.

Now, will you go fishing already!!