PDA

View Full Version : Stupid laminate flooring question

Bob Childress
09-15-2006, 11:31 AM
Last question worked out well, so I'll try something a little more challenging. :)

Laid about 1200 sq ft of laminate flooring and learned a lot along the way, plus scored some great new tools. But . . . During our kitchen renovation the old dishwasher sprung a drip-leak for about 24 hrs before we got it removed. Result: roughly half the kitchen floor was ruined. :mad: (I know, I know, save the floor for last. :o ) Fortunately, I have sufficient left over flooring to do the repair. Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to cleanly remove the old flooring back to the undamaged part without damaging the "next board" every time. I think if I cut it with a CS, I'll still have noticable seams where the new boards join the old.

Anyone had any experience in repairing this stuff? :confused: Pergo laminate, Americana, Red Oak, no glue or staples, built in foam padding. (And before you start in on me for using this instead of real hardwood, keep in mind I SAID I learned a lot.:rolleyes: ) All suggestions welcome.

Lee Schierer
09-15-2006, 1:03 PM
You should have used Wilsonart flooring...its water resistant (warranted for use for kitchens & bathrooms).

Anyway, when we did our floor, there were router bits for the T& G edges. You should be able to get them for the Pergo and use a router with a sharp down spiral bit to cut a precise edge using an edge guide and redo the groove or tounge with the T&G bits.

Steve Clardy
09-15-2006, 2:31 PM
Does the flooring run towards your cabinets, or along side your cabinets?
If it runs parallel with your cabinets, you should be able to remove the damaged parts and replace.

Bob Childress
09-15-2006, 2:55 PM
Does the flooring run towards your cabinets, or along side your cabinets?
If it runs parallel with your cabinets, you should be able to remove the damaged parts and replace.

No such luck. Here are a couple of pics to illustrate the problem. Pic one shows a view from the sink and where damaged and undamaged boards overlap. Pic 2 shows the area to be redone, from the fridge to the sink. (A U shape with cabinets three sides.)

Of course, if I can once get to "good wood" the rest is easy.:rolleyes: