PDA

View Full Version : Sod estimate

Kirk (KC) Constable
09-15-2006, 10:51 AM
What should I expect to pay for a good sod installation, including the appropriate prep work? My first 'ballpark' estimate, without them coming out here and actually looking at the place, was around $1.50 sf. Without knowing anything about it, I think I saw all the right words in the Email. I have someone (someone else) actually coming out here Monday. Nothing fancy...no 'landscaping'...just prep and sod.

:confused:

KC

Joe Pelonio
09-15-2006, 4:48 PM
Kirk,

I used to order sod for soccer fields, some we paid for the installation and some we did ourselves. It's definitely backbreaking work.

If that is for the sod, soil, and installation, it's right in the ballpark, that's probably average to low.

Labor rates vary by area of course, I would not expect to find anything less than $1.25/sf (sod and install) but then as much as $2.50 in places like CA.

I would have an actual visit before signing, they may come back and double it due to the conditions that they have not seen. There's a big difference between level, smooth fertile topsoil and having to take out an old lawn with hills and valleys and rocks underneath.

Ken Garlock
09-15-2006, 7:06 PM
We put down 6 pallets of Bermuda sod this spring over several weeks. Each pallet was about $240. Each pallet contained 40 sq yds of sod, 3 pieces to one sq yd.

If you are planning using Bermuda sod, very little prep is needed. It is hard to kill Bermuda grass. About 2 wks before ordering the sod, put down a good coat of round-up to kill the existing 'stuff'. The day the sod arrives, scratch the soil and spread some slow-release fertilizer. Then start throwing sod. Two people can put down a pallet of sod in about 2 hours. Water twice each day for about two weeks, and then cut back to twice a week.

Two months after we put down the sod, watering limitations were imposed. We just quit watering the sod, and it turned brown. After a couple rain showers recently, it is back to a good green. Like I said, it is hard to kill Bermuda grass.

Roger Everett
09-15-2006, 9:14 PM
:) Just remember the important part of laying sod---GREEEN SIDE UP :cool:

Roger :D

Frank Fusco
09-18-2006, 10:29 PM
We put down 6 pallets of Bermuda sod this spring over several weeks. Each pallet was about $240. Each pallet contained 40 sq yds of sod, 3 pieces to one sq yd.

If you are planning using Bermuda sod, very little prep is needed. It is hard to kill Bermuda grass. About 2 wks before ordering the sod, put down a good coat of round-up to kill the existing 'stuff'. The day the sod arrives, scratch the soil and spread some slow-release fertilizer. Then start throwing sod. Two people can put down a pallet of sod in about 2 hours. Water twice each day for about two weeks, and then cut back to twice a week.

Two months after we put down the sod, watering limitations were imposed. We just quit watering the sod, and it turned brown. After a couple rain showers recently, it is back to a good green. Like I said, it is hard to kill Bermuda grass.

Might be hard to kill in Texas but not much further north, one cold winter day, say "Bye-Bye".

Robert Mickley
09-19-2006, 3:08 AM
All I can tell you is it comes up easier than it goes down. On a 4 man crew we used to cut, pallet and load 1800 yards in about 6 hours. Thats one job I DON'T miss

Rob Bourgeois
09-19-2006, 10:20 PM
I should be getting an estimate this week. I will let you know the estimate when I get it. I gettign sod prices for Baton Rouge so I am sure katrina has jacked up teh prices a bit.

Kirk (KC) Constable
09-20-2006, 1:52 AM
The guy that was coming Monday to give me an estimate isn't coming until Wednesday morning now...hopefully he'll be a bit lower than the other one. The first was from a true landscape design outfit.

KC

Ken Garlock
09-20-2006, 12:22 PM
Might be hard to kill in Texas but not much further north, one cold winter day, say "Bye-Bye".

Well Frank, we do have some snow and ice here in the north Texas area. I have had as much as 4" of ice on the ground, and it lasted for upward of a week. In the winter Bermuda grass just does dormant and turns brown. Our grass has survived temps as low as 14F. Can it make it through subzero, probably not; however, at our home in Plano, I have seen both Bermuda and St. Augustine survive 8F. The mitigating circumstance is mostly likely that the freeze doesn't last long enough to freeze the root system.

No, I wouldn't suggest planting it up north.

Kirk (KC) Constable
09-22-2006, 1:52 AM
The second guy finally made it around Thursday afternoon...and was a bit under $1 sf...considerably less than the first. Far as I can tell, they talked the same talk, but his company doesn't have 'Landscape Design' in the name. Anyhoo, come Tuesday or Wednesday I oughat be pouring water on 1608 sf of St Augustine sod. :) FWIW, he immediately said I didn't have enough sun for Bermuda.

Rob Bourgeois
09-22-2006, 8:18 AM
I am still waiting on my estimate. I have a 2000 land scape allowance from the builder. If I get a price in your range I may even have enough left over for a tree.

Rob Bourgeois
09-25-2006, 12:44 PM
I got an estimate for $0.35 a square foot....

I am going to go with that...no use looking for better than that.

Kirk (KC) Constable
09-25-2006, 7:51 PM
Is that with prep and install and everything? I thought I had a deal...but maybe not. :(

Maybe they're busier here.

Joe Mioux
09-25-2006, 10:26 PM
Do you guys really like Bermuda Grass?

That "weed" has been the bane of my side yard at the old house for 5 years. It is an awful grass.

Yes, Bermuda thrives in Illinois and I hate it, you can't kill the stuff.

Sorry for going on the rant, but I keep seeing this thread and finally had to unload.

Joe

Kirk (KC) Constable
09-26-2006, 8:15 AM
I don't care one way or the other. I think 'how much water' is a factor for a lot of folks around here, and maybe 'what the neighbors have'. My neighbors are cows, and they don't care. :D

KC

Rob Bourgeois
09-26-2006, 2:11 PM
Is that with prep and install and everything? I thought I had a deal...but maybe not. :(

Maybe they're busier here.

delivered and installed. I thought I could save some money by installing it myself...BUT he only dropped it 250 bucks. For that he can do it. Besides its over 4000 sqft it would take me all week to install it. In addition...that sucks with a 21in push mower...

I also dont care what it is, as long as it green some times. Not really a lawn guy but lawn versus new construction mud...lawn wins...2 kids, 2 dogs...with light colored carpets.

Kirk (KC) Constable
09-27-2006, 2:52 AM
Sod guys got there something around 8:30 Tuesday morning. Within 10 minutes they had dumped the load of topsoil and had the tractor thingy off the truck and grading. Three guys followed up rakes smoothing things out around the fence. Tractor guy then hauled topsoil in, while rake guys spread it out. Then all four of them, plus the supervisor started putting sod down. Shortly before 11:00 they were loaded up and gone, and I was wishing I'd put in the sprinkler system.

Somehow I expected it would take a bit longer to spend that money...but my back doesn't hurt. ;)

KC

Norman Hitt
09-28-2006, 3:53 AM
Sod guys got there something around 8:30 Tuesday morning. Within 10 minutes they had dumped the load of topsoil and had the tractor thingy off the truck and grading. Three guys followed up rakes smoothing things out around the fence. Tractor guy then hauled topsoil in, while rake guys spread it out. Then all four of them, plus the supervisor started putting sod down. Shortly before 11:00 they were loaded up and gone, and I was wishing I'd put in the sprinkler system.

Somehow I expected it would take a bit longer to spend that money...but my back doesn't hurt. ;)

KC

Hey, Kirk, You were supposed to get PICTURES of this operation..........:rolleyes: :D

I guess that since you don't have a sore back for an excuse, you'd better get REAL BUSY in the shop to have enough to sell at "Fredicksburg" to PAY for that new lawn, Right??

Looks like the LOML and I are FINALLY going to make it down there to the Big Event this year. Hope to see you there. What is your Booth # & where is it?

Kirk (KC) Constable
09-29-2006, 2:42 AM
Hey Norm...and anybody else that might care...me and my humble display will be towards the end of the lower pavaillion (not the one on the hill). Pretty much right across the street from the church. I don't think they have maps for the visitors, but it's space P1-29.

KC

Norman Hitt
09-30-2006, 5:59 AM
Hey Norm...and anybody else that might care...me and my humble display will be towards the end of the lower pavaillion (not the one on the hill). Pretty much right across the street from the church. I don't think they have maps for the visitors, but it's space P1-29.

KC

OK, we'll find you. See you there.