PDA

View Full Version : Curly Mesquite Pen (with a story)

Vaughn McMillan
09-15-2006, 12:13 AM
A month or so ago, I bought a couple curly mesquite pen blanks, with the plan to make one or two pens for my dad. Mesquite is his favorite wood to cook with, plus it's a native tree in the part of Texas where he grew up. I figured I'd turn the pen(s) before the next time I planned to go home to New Mexico.

The a couple of weeks ago, I got the call from my sis that my mom had taken a turn for the worse, then hours later, the call telling me that she was gone.

Knowing that I was going to drive to New Mexico the next day, I decided to turn my dad a mesquite pen before I left. Due to the events of the day, I wanted to turn the pen in memory of my mom. Plus, the lathe therapy was welcome. The first attempt wasn't perfect, and by that time (about 2:00 AM) I had decided the pen had to be a perfect as I could make it, so I used up my other blank and a new set of tubes, and had this done by about 4:00:

Here's another shot:

Due to the rush nature, I didn't get a chance to photograph the pen in my photo booth...instead, I put the pen in my sister's back lawn <g> and used the blue New Mexico sky for lighting.

The day after my mom's memorial service, I gave the pen to my dad in a nice display box, and shared the story behind the motivation for it. We shared a tear and a hug, then I went out into the garage (the smoking room at my sister's house). A few minutes later, he came in the garage and handed me back the display box. He patted the pen (now in his shirt pocket) and said "I don't need this nice box, the pen's going to stay right here."

I intend to make a lot of pens, but I doubt many will have as much meaning as this one. Just wanted to share the story.

- Vaughn

Bruce Shiverdecker
09-15-2006, 12:34 AM
The photos are great. The PENS are, too.

I got some of that stuff. I guess I have to start turnin' it!

Bruce

Mark Cothren
09-15-2006, 12:51 AM
Great story, Vaugh. An excellent pen with great value to your dad. Thanks for sharing.

Barry Stratton
09-15-2006, 2:51 AM
Beautiful pen and wonderful story. Thanks for sharing them Vaughn.

Corey Hallagan
09-15-2006, 8:53 AM
It's a beautiful pen Vaughn and I am sure your dad will cherrish it. Nice work!

Corey

Mark Pruitt
09-15-2006, 9:10 AM
Vaughn, I'm sorry to hear of your mom's passing. I'll be thinking of you. And the pen is beautifully done. I'm sure it was a blessing to you to be able to bless your dad in this way.
Mark

Mike Ramsey
09-15-2006, 9:20 AM
Touching story Vaughn, That is a beautiful Pen, Im sure your dad will cherish it!

Bernie Weishapl
09-15-2006, 9:32 AM
Vaughn very nice story. Pen is beautiful. Your dad will cherish that forever.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-15-2006, 10:02 AM
Vaughn..........Nice pen.........great story.........Sorry about your Mom's passing!

George Conklin
09-15-2006, 11:39 AM
That was a great story, Vaughn. I am very sorry of your moms passing. the pen is perfectly done and I'm sure your dad will cherish that pen forever:) .

Keith Burns
09-15-2006, 11:51 AM
What everyone else has said. I am sorry for you loss.

Frank Chaffee
09-15-2006, 12:47 PM
Thank you Vaughn for sharing this story with us.

It is inspiring to me that you opened your heart and created a meaningful gift for your father when you learned of your mother’s death. I hope I can do something similar when the time comes.

Frank

Jim Hinze
09-15-2006, 1:58 PM
Thanks for sharing the story, very touching... got a little choked up. Beauitful pen!

Sorry for your loss Vaughn.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
09-15-2006, 3:03 PM
Sorry for your loss buddy, that must have been hard, moms are special.

Great story, thanks for sharing!

Andy Hoyt
09-15-2006, 4:07 PM
Sorry to hear of your mom's passing, Vaughn. Sounds like it was a short term event and I can only hope that helps.

Guess it's time for me to turn something for my 'rents now.

Dennis Peacock
09-15-2006, 6:13 PM
Vaughn,

First of all, I'm very sorry to hear of the loss of your mom. 2ndly, that is a very beautiful pen and I absolutely LOVE that wood grain in that pen. I looks absolutely perfect to me. Great job.!!!!:D

Travis Stinson
09-15-2006, 6:23 PM
I'm sorry for your loss Vaughn. That is a very beautiful pen, one that I'm sure your Dad will cherish forever.

Ernie Nyvall
09-15-2006, 8:40 PM
Really sorry to hear of your loss Vaughn.

Even without the symbolic meaning behind the making of the pen, I could see why he would want to carry it in the open. It's a beautiful pen.

Travis White
09-16-2006, 10:33 AM
That is a very nice pen, I like it. Did you cut your own blanks?

Tom Sherman
09-18-2006, 10:17 PM
Vaughn, that is quite spectacular to turn out a pen of that caliber at such a time is an awsome feat, a true testiment of your relationship with your family.