PDA

View Full Version : vacuum system

Bobby McCarley
09-14-2006, 6:40 PM
Well, I got my vacuum system up and running. I attended the GA. Turning Southern Style Symposium and purchased a Hold Fast vacuum chuck and the adaptor kit for my lathe. Installed it on my powermatic and hooked up the vacuum pump I got on e-bay. Works like a charm. I wasn't sure what to expect on holding power, but it was great. I put on a walnut platter that I had turned the front side of several months ago but didn't have a way to finish the back. It took awhile to get it centered but I was able to finish the back with no problem. The platter is 11 1/4 in. in dia. and finished with walnut oil.

Travis Stinson
09-14-2006, 7:07 PM
Way to go Bobby! Ain't it great?:D
For centering work on the vacuum chuck, the Oneway live center adapter works like a charm. You can keep things chucked up and bring up to the vac chuck with the tailstock.
http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=lathes-acc-rtc-owadap

George Conklin
09-14-2006, 7:52 PM
Isn't it great! Sure makes turning the bottoms a lot easier.

Nice looking platter, btw.

Dennis Peacock
09-14-2006, 8:24 PM
Excellent looking platter and ya just gotta love a vacuum setup. It makes a world of difference in the overall look and feel of the bottom of a bowl or platter. Excellent post.:D