PDA

View Full Version : Spalted Wood Chest

Jim King
09-14-2006, 6:13 PM
This chest is a small one about 12 inches wide x 12 inches tall and 18 inches long. I am starting to like chests. No idea what the wood is but it is spalted nicely and very solid. Brass trim on the corners and handles and polyurethane finish inside and out.

Steve Beadle
09-14-2006, 6:42 PM
That's a beauty, Jim! I'd like to see a picture with the lid open.

No idea what kind of spalted wood, huh?

Steve

Robert Mickley
09-14-2006, 6:43 PM
WOW, I don't care what kind of wood it is, thats sweet. I love spalted woods.

Frank Pellow
09-14-2006, 6:55 PM
Very nice Jim! It's no wonder you are starting to like chests when you can build one like that.

Jim King
09-14-2006, 7:17 PM
Tomorrow I can take some photos of the inside. My flash is broke and it is already dark here for today.

Dan Oliphant
09-14-2006, 8:03 PM
Nice job Jim, very interesting chest.

Mark Marzluf
09-14-2006, 8:10 PM
Very cool !! Looks like an old Pirate Chest.

I'd guess Spalted Maple, but that's cause I've only ever used spalted maple. :D

Corey Hallagan
09-14-2006, 8:16 PM
Very nice Jim. Great looking chest!

Corey

Mac Cambra
09-14-2006, 8:17 PM
Is the top bent wood lamination, or built coopered style?

Blaine Harrison
09-14-2006, 8:38 PM
The chest is very nice. I like the spalting. My guess is that it's soft maple (maybe silver maple). I've had some silver maple in my back yard, but I had already cut it into firewood before I started getting into woodworking. It's begun to spalt like that.

Blaine

Jim King
09-14-2006, 9:02 PM
The top is coopered style and I can assure you it is not Maple. I am several thousand miles from the nearest Maple.

John Fry
09-14-2006, 9:23 PM
I think it looks like spalted beech. How far are you from beech?:)

I really like your chest too!

Julio Navarro
09-14-2006, 9:55 PM
sure is purdy

Mark Marzluf
09-14-2006, 10:38 PM
Maybe Spalted White Alder..

In the Birch Family AND I think it grows as far south as Peru.. Just a thought.

Jim Dunn
09-14-2006, 11:16 PM
Beautiful piece of woodworking with some real pretty wood.

Jim King
09-15-2006, 2:24 PM
It stopped raining so here is the photo of the interior. The spalted wood is from here in Iquitos , Peru in the upper Amazon Basin so it is not any of the temperate climate woods you have mentioned. I have no idea what it is.

Steve Beadle
09-15-2006, 2:30 PM
Thank you for posting that picture with the lid opened. I have saved it for future reference. Any details on how you made the lid would be appreciated, as I would like to build one like it someday.

Again, great job, Jim!

Steve

Jim King
09-15-2006, 2:57 PM
Steve: The top was made with glued together staves I guess you would call them. I just set the jointer fence at the same angle as we ripped them out of the table saw and jointed all peices and glued them together. The top could have been 1/4 inch wider but I decided to leave it. It makes you look up to a barrel maker, I wouldnt have a guess how to do those multiple angles to end up with a barrel.

Bob Childress
09-15-2006, 2:58 PM
Beautiful chest Jim! Whatever wood it is, it's lovely.:)

Steve Beadle
09-15-2006, 4:44 PM
Steve: The top was made with glued together staves I guess you would call them. I just set the jointer fence at the same angle as we ripped them out of the table saw and jointed all peices and glued them together. The top could have been 1/4 inch wider but I decided to leave it. It makes you look up to a barrel maker, I wouldnt have a guess how to do those multiple angles to end up with a barrel.
Hmmm. That gives me an idea of a use for the new LV Iron Edge Plane I took delivery of just today. I can attach a wedge to the fence on this little hand plane and trim the staves at the correct angle after they come off the jointer. Should make for a good glue-up. But without that wonderful spalted wood, I won't hope to equal your accomplishment! That chest is real eye candy!
Steve