PDA

View Full Version : MM format saws and service, my story

Ed Kowaski
09-14-2006, 5:11 PM
Given the current xxxxxx about format saws and the personal attack of honorable gentlemen and pro's, who IMO raise very valid questions and concerns, by the owner of Grizzly on the forum recently I feel compelled to tell my story. Unlike the Grizzly response, this isn't a story about nickels and fences on a saw other then the one being discussed. (which would actually mean something to me if the nickel was a dial indicator) It doesn't contain vague references to what unnamed unknown people think while avoiding and ignoring direct tech questions, avoiding any disclosure of production design or tolerances and in fact *avoiding any factual or measurable reference* to why this saw might be as good as or better then other format saw.

This is a story about one saw purchased from one dealer, it happened to me and these are the facts.

After being out of the industry for a number of years I'm back running a one man show.

In the interests of fully disclosure, at one time I ran a 22,000 sq/ft production shop with 17 employees. It was during that time I started dealing with Eurotech for some machine purchases and the relationship goes back some 20 years. They were great to work with and I purchased several machines from them at that time. I don't know the total but certainly over 100K. Not that much on the scale they operate on still it's not chicken feed.

We had a Altendorf F-45 with 12 foot slider and a big Holz-Her upright with scoring. They ran 8/5 for years. Both excellent saws.

That was then and this is now.

After some research to get back up to speed on current machines, in Feb of this year I purchased a MM WSC4 WS.

I now live in a very out of the way corner of a very sparsely populated area of the country. As luck would have it the SCMI/MM dealer for the western half of Canada are my old partners Eurotech based Calgary AB, which also hosts a huge woodworking industry. I'm told SCMI owns 15% of Eurotech. Eurotech has set up a network of satellite dealers to better serve their scattered and sparely populated sales area. I don't know of the terms and conditions of the arrangement. What it means to me is I get to see the machines at my nearest major center and I go there several times a year. I purchased the saw from a satellite dealers stock.

The saw was well made and a good fit for my needs. For example when checking the arbor and flange for runout I double and triple check that the indicator was contacting the machine because there was absolutely not movement. Zero zip zilch. A few things needed to be setup but that's par for the course. However the saw was not cutting as it should IMO. One tooth was raking the panel and leaving a line, it repeated in a somewhat regular pattern with the spacing dependent on the feed rate. You couldn't see it in particle board but in MDF and harder materials it was plainly visible and somewhat detectable with a finger nail.

The service tech from the satellite dealer made the 2.5 hour one way trip out here to look in to it. He's a sharp guy but a bit new to his current role. Anyway we played around with it and between that and a few calls to the head tech at Eurotech the conclusion was vibration and the most likely cause was the drive belts. They had seen this before. During the first visit some settings were knocked out of alignment. A second service call was arranged to install the belts and reset the machine from end to end. The belts didn't fix it and tech missed fully tightening up the rip fence bolts so that had to be redone, which I did. Probably mid march now and I've been using the saw all along. At this point through some mystery the blade was *slightly* off 90 to the table. I didn't notice it until I'd cut a pile of material and dry fit a cabinet. A quick call to Eurotech got the blade back to square and I sucked it up and recut what I had to.

The miter attachment didn't ship with the saw and was still not here.

Eurotech is in a bit of a spot now. They can fly a tech out here with a new motor or pick up the saw leave a new one. Through some comedy of errors and miss communication I still don't understand things sat like that for a couple of months. I'm getting kind of tired of this whole affair by this time and told the Arnie the GM at Eurotech that by now I didn't feel that fixing the saw was enough and suggested they think about how they could make it right. I'd lost some time and material, a couple of months had passed and nothing had been done. I'm still using the saw every day. Arnie called back in a couple hours and said he wanted and believed he could float replacing the WSC4 with a brand new S315 at no cost to me! I just about fell to the floor.

Doing this meant a 800 mile round trip for a for hire cherry picker equipt flat deck. There isn't a fork lift within 50 miles of where I live.

Arnie was true to his word. The 2005 WSC4 is gone and I have a brand new 2006 Technomax S315 in the shop

I can't imagine what kind of a bath they took on this. They were anxious to move the WSC4 and I purchased it at a very good price, two service calls that amount to 2 full days, an for hire cherry picker flat deck for at least a 800 mile round trip plus loading and unloading , the more then 2.5K difference in the price of the saws and a returned WSC4 that is now a used machine. Clearly they know that at this point I'm never going to buy enough equipment to recover much from me.

So that's my story, the facts as I know them. I leave it to the reader to draw their own conclusions and pick their own partners/suppliers.

Allow me now to digress to an opinion. I think the S315 is a wonderful machine. I'm extremely pleased and I'm a fuss old SOB who has owned and operated one of the "best" for more hours then I care to remember.

Don Baer
09-14-2006, 5:24 PM
Great story Ed, always nice to hear about a creeker coming out on the winning end of things.

Steve Clardy
09-14-2006, 5:39 PM
Thanks for sharing your slider story Ed.
Sounds like it turned out well in the end.
So how is the new saw running?

Robert Mickley
09-14-2006, 5:46 PM
OK , I see right through you Ed :D This isn't a story about customer service this was a stealth gloat :D :D :D

Just kidding, It's nice to hear good things, in fact I would rather hear good things than bad ones anyday

Jim Becker
09-14-2006, 5:48 PM
Yes, thanks for sharing your story. That's really a great dealer...they did what is right for you.

And I also would like you to report in detail on the new saw. Perhaps a nice pictorial/review would be great to have in the SMC archives?? ;)

Frank Pellow
09-14-2006, 5:57 PM
Thanks for the story Ed. It's good to see that they made things right for you in the end.

Do you care to divulge the name and location of the satelite dealer. You mention Alberta. Are you and/or the dealer in Canada?

lou sansone
09-14-2006, 6:54 PM
good read and a good story.

best wishes in your business and with the 315

lou

David Jarrell
09-15-2006, 12:38 AM
Good story, Ed; thanks for sharing.

Hugh....lol

sean marcin
09-15-2006, 4:25 AM
Thanks for the timely post.

Been considering a format saw and MM was sure a choice.

Seems they have some real QA problem. I can't believe your patiance, I would have snapped and rocked the MM world. If one that bad can slip through I would guess most units have some issues.

I will for sure be looking alot harder at the Griz saw after reading this thread. After the way MM xxxxxx xxxxx xxx xxxx we had all better be on the look out. Good thing your dealer bailed you out.

Good luck with the new saw. If I got burnt as bad as you I would have switched brands.

Greg Ladd
09-15-2006, 12:29 PM
Sean,

Please forgive me if I write something improper here.

Ed mentioned in his original post that he purchased a MM slider that had some problems. Unfortunately, it took a while to get them resolved but by Ed's account he made out very well in the deal and is thrilled with the saw he has now.

I read that his dealer his dealer stepped up to the plate and upgraded his saw after the problems took a while to get resolved. Ed as able to use the saw a considerable amount in the time period referred to. I hardly consider that as xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I suppose we all interpret things differently. As for me, this posting would make me feel very comfortable about purchasing a machine from Minimax. I am fairly confident that any problems I might have would get resolved.

Greg

lou sansone
09-15-2006, 8:37 PM
I would like to echo Jim's comments about another post that showed your new saw and the type of work you do with it. I am sure we could all learn from your years of experience.
thanks
Lou

Ed Kowaski
09-17-2006, 12:13 AM
Thanks Don, I like to a hear of a creeker coming out on the winning end of things as well. Great bunch of people here!

Ed Kowaski
09-17-2006, 12:15 AM
Your welcome Steve, the new saw is running very well. I've had it for ~6 weeks now.

Ed Kowaski
09-17-2006, 12:16 AM
I should have seen that coming huh Jim. :)

Ed Kowaski
09-17-2006, 12:18 AM
Robert, I would rather hear good things than bad ones. That's one of the reasons why this is the only U.S. WW site I lurk on. :)

Ed Kowaski
09-17-2006, 12:20 AM
David your welcome, I'm pleased you enjoyed my little tale.

Ed Kowaski
09-17-2006, 12:35 AM
Thanks for the timely post.

Been considering a format saw and MM was sure a choice.

Seems they have some real QA problem. I can't believe your patiance, I would have snapped and rocked the MM world. If one that bad can slip through I would guess most units have some issues.

I will for sure be looking alot harder at the Griz saw after reading this thread. After the way MM xxxxxx xxxxx xxx xxxx we had all better be on the look out. Good thing your dealer bailed you out.

Good luck with the new saw. If I got burnt as bad as you I would have switched brands.

Hi Sean,
One problem doesn't consitute a QA problem IMO. Any manufacturer, no matter how high their standards are will have something slip past once in a while. DAMHIKT ;)

No point in snapping. I believe all that does is ensure minimum service rather then average or above average. Perhaps I wasn't the clear, the problem was not that bad. I did say I was running a biz, I was a fussy old XXX and I was using the saw. The dealer could have just as easily, easier in fact, told me to get lost and that would have been the end of it. Nothing I could do in that case. When I ran the big shop I did have some clout because they all want the next purchase. These guys stood up big time even though I may never buy another tool from them.

Since SMCI owns a good chunk of Eurotech I feel that both the dealer and manufacturer stepped up and made it right.

If at some point I am looking for some machine they sell, they are my number one choice because of the unbelievable class they handled this problem with. They stand behind what they sell. These are people who earned my trust and I won't ever forget that.

Ed Kowaski
09-17-2006, 12:41 AM
Greg that is the way I feel. I posted this because we usually hear when things go great and with MM that is the rule rather then the exception. The real test of the company is how things are handled when they don't go right.

These people don't just talk the talk and I'm living proof of that. ( at least till Ken S gets his hands on me ;) )

Ed Kowaski
09-17-2006, 12:47 AM
Lou thanks for your kind well wishs about, I do appreciate it!

I'll try to get some photos of the saw up but my internet connection is so flakey right now I don't hold out much hope. I've been trying to add to this thread since I posted it.

Ditto on the work photos and I'll chime in when I feel I have something worth while to add but as you can see from my post count I mostly lurk.

Did I mention your shop flat out rocks! :) Wonderful woodwork as well, you inspire me and I thank you for that.

Ed Kowaski
09-17-2006, 12:54 AM
Sorry everyone for using a bad word. The mods here do a fantastic job and I hate to make any more work for them as I'm sure they have more then enough already.

Ken, One edited word I see... but I honesty didn't realize that "storm" was also bad one. ;) j/k carry one. Is it ok to edit your edit with more approprate language rather then xxxxx?

tod evans
09-17-2006, 12:05 PM
ed, thanks for chipping in! no need to lurk, heck they let me post here:rolleyes: tod

Ken Salisbury
09-17-2006, 12:51 PM
Is it ok to edit your edit with more approprate language rather then xxxxx?

Sure you can.

Greg Ladd
09-18-2006, 6:37 PM
Ed,

Thank you for posting your story about the saw. I am glad everything turned out well.

Greg