PDA

View Full Version : Wood Gloat / What kind of wood is this?

Jason Christenson
09-14-2006, 3:37 PM
This morning I was out driving around, minding my own business, doing my job when I came upon a BIG stack of logs with a "Free Firewood" sign attached. I happily loaded four of them into the company vehicle I was driving (mini van) :rolleyes: , and after lunch I wrestled them through a window into my basement shop and sealed them with Anchor Seal.

Any idea what this stuff is?

Frank Fusco
09-14-2006, 4:17 PM
Bark looks like some kind of pine.

Ken Grunke
09-14-2006, 4:31 PM
Pictures are too small, and very grainy. Is the wood actually white like the pics show? maybe Holly?

Jason Christenson
09-14-2006, 5:12 PM
Pictures are too small, and very grainy. Is the wood actually white like the pics show? maybe Holly?

No, the wood is not white, that is the anchor seal. I guess I resized the pictures to small. Here's the only one I didn't delete, a little bigger.

Steve Clardy
09-14-2006, 5:23 PM
Hard to tell from the pics, but looks like Hackberry

Ken Grunke
09-14-2006, 7:59 PM
I agree, Hackberry looks like a good bet with it's dark heartwood. It also has zig-zag end grain like Elm, viewed with a magnifying glass.
Being able to see the wood would help a lot. You oughta slice the logs lengthwise through the pith, they'd dry better with less chance of cracking. Better yet, rough-turn a bunch of it and try out some of the various drying methods turners are using--DNA, LDD, microwave, freezing, boiling, paper bagging, spin drying, dehumidification, etc.
In full log form like this it will take forever to dry if it doesn't check all over. Have fun!

Curt Fuller
09-14-2006, 11:39 PM
We have a tree that grows around here that they call "Tree of Paradise". It looks a lot like that. But that's just a guess..

And welcome aboard Ken!

Bruce Shiverdecker
09-15-2006, 12:40 AM
What Steve said. When you cut it, did it smell a little BAD? Is the wood as White as it looks? If so, it's HACKBERRY. Can look like woven fabric when turned.

Bruce

Steve Clardy
09-15-2006, 1:16 AM
I blowed the pic up of the chunks lying on your bench.

Yep. Hackberry

Jason Christenson
09-15-2006, 9:03 AM
The consensus appears to be....hackberry! We'll see how it looks when I get some turned.

Bernie Weishapl
09-15-2006, 9:35 AM
I am with Steve on this one. Looks like hackberry.

Mark Cothren
09-15-2006, 10:04 AM
I'm not arguing with you guys, but that bark doesn't look like any of the Hackberry trees around these parts.

Richard Madison
09-15-2006, 10:15 AM
Jason,
Smaller limbs and trunks (to 6") of hackberry in this area have a relatively smooth bark with lots of distinct little bumps or chunks on it. The spalted hack can be way beautiful, esp. when enhanced with a bit of BLO. Might want to try that, but check it frequently as it spalts fast. Our hack also tends to have bugs in it (ugh!).
R. in M.

Reed Gray
09-15-2006, 1:50 PM
I will second with Mark, the bark doesn't look like hackberry.
robo hippy

Steve Clardy
09-15-2006, 2:24 PM
Hackberry does look different. different regions.

http://images.google.com/images?q=hackberry+bark&hl=en&btnG=Search+Images

This pic is what I'm used to, which looks like what is on his bench.

Barry Stratton
09-15-2006, 2:31 PM
Looks like a terrific haul of quality free dunno wood - some of the best out there! Great gloat Jason.

Mark Cothren
09-15-2006, 2:32 PM
Yep Steve, that's what I'm used to seeing on Hackberry around here... I guess my eyes just focus different on the pics. No biggie...:)

Whatever it "turns" out to be, it's free - which is my favorite flavor...:D

Mike Ramsey
09-15-2006, 3:01 PM
Looks like "Fog" wood to me.....or Hackberry.

Ken Grunke
09-15-2006, 4:20 PM
We have a tree that grows around here that they call "Tree of Paradise". It looks a lot like that. But that's just a guess..

And welcome aboard Ken!

Hey there, Curt, thanks!
Looks like you've been around here for a while :)

Reed Gray
09-15-2006, 7:37 PM
I think that I have to agree with Mark, the bark doesn't look like any hackberry that I have seen. Not right for holly either. Possible for tree of heaven, but I haven't seen that many of them. The wood from it does have a strong smell, kind of reminded me of burning tires.
robo hippy

Andy Hoyt
09-15-2006, 8:46 PM
Well, so far we have:
Free Firewood
Pine
Holly
Hackberry
Elm
Tree of Paradise
Dunno
Fog
Tree of HeavenBy virtue of the power vested in me as the most recent poster, I hereby deem it - Turning Wood.:D

Ernie Nyvall
09-15-2006, 9:39 PM
And now we have pecan. Looks to me to have a dark center, and the bark just a wee bit flakey. I think it's pecan. The hackberry I've seen is white wood throughout and has flat bark between the hard knobby parts. Course it could be pignut... real close to pecan with a flatter bark.

Richard Madison
09-16-2006, 12:39 AM
Steve Clardy's picture shows exactly what I meant by smooth bark with lumps on the outside, typical hackberry in this area.