PDA

View Full Version : What kind of table base for this top?

Phil Winn
09-14-2006, 1:31 PM
Sorry for the poor picture. This is a spectacular bookmatched piece of Curly Redwood Burl 5/4(1 1/4" thick), 20" x 23".
Questions:
1. What kind of "base" would you make for this? I assume it would be a
lamp/corner type of table? Materials? Designs?
2. If not a table, what else?
Thanks,
Phil

Dave Richards
09-14-2006, 1:43 PM
That's a nice piece. It's too bad it wouldn't just levitate. I'd hate to draw attention away from it with a flashy base. Maybe some very plain maple. pedestal sort of thing or maybe tripod sort of legs from the center of mass. One leg toward the narrow end. Legs with an arching taper--skinnier at the feet. Maple finished very blonde or ebonized very black.

By all means show us what you do end up doing.

Jim Becker
09-14-2006, 1:53 PM
Some form of three-legged pedistal that compliments, but does not draw the eye away from, the top. Dave is spot on for that! You could also do that with some odd slab stock of regular redwood a la Nakashima since the top has the weight/thickness to make it work! And this piece really does beg to be a table. (Although it could be a very nice large, natural form platter with a bit of dishing out)

------
I'm going to put a copy of this thread in the Design Forum to see if it picks up additional ideas there.

Mike Null
09-14-2006, 6:16 PM
I think I'd use these piece as a bench with heavy turned legs (3) or 2x6 slab type legs. A good finish and it's complete.