PDA

View Full Version : Incra Position Jig

Michael Merrill
09-14-2006, 9:49 AM
I'm curious if anyone has any comments on the new positioning jig system from Incra.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=11494

I'd like to add a jig to begin to incorporate dovetails and box joints into my work and was not sure about this product. From what I've seen it seems like it would be very time intensive and require repetative movements of the jig. While I understand these systems are designed to make that perfect it just seems like for every time something is moved there is potential for error. Also this unit seems a bit small in it total distnace of movement that might restrict the project size.

The price is certainly right but that's not the only consideration. Any first hand accounts would be great to hear.

Cliff Rohrabacher
09-14-2006, 10:57 AM
Do a search of this forum. I think lots of folks use it and like it.

Art Davis
09-14-2006, 11:47 AM
Michael,

The Rockler link you posted is Incra's original model. They have "improved" it several times. I have one of the later ones and it works fine on my router table. Not to say that the Rockler price isn't good. Don't know, you will have to research it. But be aware that it isn't "top of the line" anymore.

Art

Lori Kleinberg
09-14-2006, 12:22 PM
I have that original jig. Bought it sometime ago. Haven't done much more that practice with it( back log of projects), but I really like it. It does take alot of repositioning, but once you get the hang of it, it goes pretty quickly. It is very adjustable and lots of joint options.
By the way, I just bought the basic jig and made the accessories my self (base, fence, right angle and stop).
I also liked the DVD that came with it. Shows step by step how to use the jig.

Mike Kelly
09-14-2006, 1:51 PM
Bought mine in 1984. It served very well and accurately for many years. Don't use it much anymore after installing a Jointech afew years ago.

Bob Reda
09-14-2006, 3:25 PM
The repeatability is why you buy it. I use it quite often to do box joints for many boxes. The positioner will get you back to at least a 1/64" to where it was the last time with a positive lock.

Bob