PDA

View Full Version : Why is plywood so hard to find?

Larry Fox
09-14-2006, 9:39 AM
Giving fair warning that this MAY turn into a rant - I will try not to but I might not be able to help it. :)

We as woodworkers seem to use quite a bit of plywood for the various projects that we build, yet it appears very hard for us to buy it - the reason for this is somewhat of a mystery to me. I can go to any of three lumber yards within about 45 minutes of my house and buy any lumber that I want - yet I have to make 20 unproductive phone calls to try and fill a small plywood order. Perhaps the fact that it is a small order is the key.

I am at the point in my kitchen project where I am starting on the boxes and need to buy some quantity of it. I have several places around me that claim to sell it yet no-one can fill my order. The one exception is Woodcraft which wants to charge $133.50 for a 4x8 sheet of cherry veneer-core. I think this is very high (which is consistent with my experience at Woodcraft). Every place I call seems to get their product from Fessenden Hall (I ask). I know that Fessenden sells everything that I need but for some reason most of the places I call can't get various pieces (different products at different places). Fessenden won't even talk to an individual - only commercial accounts. I have talked to a guy at a local cabinet shop who said that I could piggyback on an order he makes but that puts me somewhat at his mercy in terms of timing etc.

So, I quess my question is - does everyone have this problem or is it just me?

Thanks for letting me rant on this rainy Thursday in Philly (where you would think I could buy plywood)....

L

Neil Lamens
09-14-2006, 10:03 AM
Hey Larry:

That is odd........as I was reading I envisioned you being way outside a populated area.

Seems you may have to travel to "them" (where ever they are) or that piggy back deal may work.

Sure does seem odd that in Philly no ply is "readily" available.

INTERESTING!!!

Robert Mickley
09-14-2006, 10:06 AM
I would think in a city the size of Philly you could buy ply. Of course Thats what I get for thinking. $133.50? For a sheet of cherry ply? 1/2 or 3/4? I guess I'm lucky we ahve a place here called Baird Brothers. I called about 3/4 walnut a couple weeks ago and it was $90 if I remember right.

Maybe one of our members just outside Philly has a hookup for some place within driving distance.

Frank Pellow
09-14-2006, 10:07 AM
I prefer not to use plywood, but when I do, there are lots of places close (within 15 kilometres) to me in Toronto that sell good quality plywood of many varieties. :)

Rob Bodenschatz
09-14-2006, 10:07 AM
Have you tried Russell Plywood in Reading? I haven't used them yet but they were recommended in another forum.

Cliff Rohrabacher
09-14-2006, 10:08 AM
Check this out
>>>http://www.norbord.com/MDF_Distributors.htm#PA<<<

Larry Fox
09-14-2006, 10:14 AM
Rob, I have been talking to Russell Plywood in Reading and they have come closer than anyone to being able to fill my order and their prices are fairly reasonable. I will likely go with them and pick up the random pieces that they don't have or can't get from ... gulp, Woodcraft. Reading is about 60 miles from me which is not so bad. Even with them things got a bit mor difficult when they found out I was not a commercial account.

Rob Bodenschatz
09-14-2006, 10:18 AM
Let us know how it goes with Russell. I hope you have a positive experience because you're right, it is hard to find ply around here.

Steve Bagi
09-14-2006, 10:26 AM
Larry,

I've had pretty good luck with Russell. The guys behind the desk can be a bit ornery at times but if you are persistent they come around. I always give the guys in the yard a tip and they let me pick through the stack. Also, call ahead of time to make sure they have what you need in stock. The only down side is that they are only open during the week.

Steve

Rob Bodenschatz
09-14-2006, 10:29 AM
Larry,

I've had pretty good luck with Russell. The guys behind the desk can be a bit ornery at times but if you are persistent they come around. I always give the guys in the yard a tip and they let me pick through the stack. Also, call ahead of time to make sure they have what you need in stock. The only down side is that they are only open during the week.

Steve

Jeez. Now we have to tip the lumber yard guys?

Aaron Frank
09-14-2006, 10:30 AM
Larry,

Allied Plywood in Alexandria, VA has great prices. If you buy 5 sheets or more you can get the contractors rate. They also regulalry run 20 sheet deals. http://www.alliedplywood.com/products/industrial/hplylist.html

The extra cost in gas may be off-set by by the cheaper prices, so give them a call. They have a good selection and are very knoweldgable. IRRC, they quoted me $55/sheet of 3/4 paint grade veneer core birch or poplar, if I bought 5 sheets. The prices on the 20 sheet specials are generally even better.

Good luck.
Aaron

Steve Bagi
09-14-2006, 10:35 AM
Jeez. Now we have to tip the lumber yard guys?
These guys drive forklifts for a living. Probably make minimum wage. Going through a stack of 4x8 plywood isn't exactly easy work. For five bucks I can make the guy happy and get the sheets I want. Works for me.

Bill Grumbine
09-14-2006, 10:38 AM
Larry, I have purchased plywood from Russell Plywood in Reading a number of times, and all you need to do is set up an account. I run a one man business that deals mostly with turning and custom hardwood furniture, so I do not use a lot of plywood, but when I need it I do not want the garbage available at Home Depot. I call Russell and can buy one sheet at a time if I want, and do it once a year. They have always been polite and helpful.

In addition to Russell in Reading, there is also Industrial Supply, another plywood dealer. Also based in Reading is CH Briggs, although their plywood operation is located in Quakertown, just off of Rt 309. So, it might be a little bit of a drive, but there are three large plywood and other sheet goods distributors not too far from you.

Good luck with it.

Bill

Rob Bodenschatz
09-14-2006, 10:44 AM
These guys drive forklifts for a living. Probably make minimum wage. Going through a stack of 4x8 plywood isn't exactly easy work. For five bucks I can make the guy happy and get the sheets I want. Works for me.

Should've put a ;) or :) after my post. I have no problem tipping workers that go above & beyond the norm.

Larry Fox
09-14-2006, 11:43 AM
Larry,

Steve

Steve, thanks again for telling me about Russell last time I was over your place. I called them again this morning and talked to them and between the Reading branch and the Wilmington branch we were able to get pretty much everything I needed. As you point out, they are only open durning the week but that is a small concern and certainly something easily worked around.

Larry Fox
09-14-2006, 11:46 AM
Ok, so perhaps I ranted a bit too soon. Certainly not the first time I have done that. :) Looks like Russell will do it for me - one stop shopping.

Thanks for all the helpful replies and for listening to me whine.

Al Willits
09-14-2006, 1:01 PM
Here in Minn it ain't to tough to find, but one of the lumber yards has it for at least $120 a sheet, waay to much in my opinion.
I have found it seems they have several prices, depending on who you are/represent, by joinning the local Wood working Guild here, we get wholesale prices at one of the lumberyards, makes a big difference, about 30% off list price.

May want to look into that.

Al

Jim Becker
09-14-2006, 1:40 PM
Larry, I seem to recall that Bill Grumbine posted about a few sources that will sell to the "little guy"...one of them is in Reading, I believe. But you are correct, the distributors seem to have things locked up. If I need something "special", I get one of my cabinetmaker friends to aquire it for me...they both have accounts with FH. But that does mean losing a bit of control of the timing. While I rarely use plywood for furniture projects, I'm anticipating some cabinetry work for our addition--if we are ever able to do it--and I will have to deal with this at that point. It will be quite a few sheets, too, given the ideas I have bouncing around my brain...

Edit...I guess I should have read the whole thread before posting... Bill posted what I was refering to again in this one!!

Jim Andrew
09-14-2006, 2:13 PM
If it was me, I would just print up a few business cards, put your name,
address and phone number, call it Fox Cabinetry, and set up an account
with the big company. I buy from Liberty Hardwoods in KC, they deliver out here in Kansas every week. They handle every kind of plywood made,
including prefinished, which is very nice for box interiors. Jim

Larry Fox
09-14-2006, 2:40 PM
Jim (Andrew), that was going to be my exact approach but when I called Fesenden they said that in order to setup an account you needed to be able to show that;

1) You were a full-time woodshop
2) You had a shop in a non-residnetial setting.
3) You had to purchase something like $2,500 per year on plwood

I can meet none of these requirements.

I didn't tell them I was a private guy inquiring about it, I just said that I was interested in opening an account and asked what it took.

Tom Henry
09-14-2006, 3:17 PM
Did you try Ridge Lumber in Conshohocken?

Benjimin Young
11-19-2006, 8:29 PM
Hi Frank
I recently joined the forum and came across a thread on plywood that you responded to. Can you share with me a few of your favorite plywood sources around the GTA.

Thanks,
Ben
Mississauga

Jeffrey Makiel
11-19-2006, 8:53 PM
I understand your frustration. I live in a densely populated area of northern New Jersey not far from New York City and have this problem. Two major sources of hardwood and sheet goods are gone now. They both stated that woodworking folks are becoming few and far between.

I use to be able to get all kinds of hardwoods including exotic stuff. The sheet goods selection was great with varying thicknesses, species and melamine. Prices were so-so, but product availability was more important.

Having watched some younger folks in the news waiting on line and then stampeding to the store to get the new Playstation 3, I understand why the hardwood retailers are dying off.

-Jeff :)

glenn bradley
11-19-2006, 9:33 PM
Woodcraft has never made a secret of the fact that they stock wood as a convenience and are admittedly high. I'm on the west coast and don't have trouble finding plywood as much as finding quality plywood.

With the grief you've been through, I hope that once you find a supplier they will treat you right and deliver a sound product.

glenn bradley
11-19-2006, 9:37 PM
Talking through my hat here; could you contact a professional cabinet shop and maybe get the material you want a bit closer to home by letting the shop make a little money on the deal? Maybe that's dumb as you're doing for yourself what they do for a living but, if there's a buck to be made .. . maybe?

Leon Jester
11-21-2006, 9:19 PM
Larry:

Wall Lumber will ship anywhere, rates of course are dependent on size of order and distance.

Prices are good: http://www.walllumber.com/fur.asp

Steve's been great to deal with for me, I can't recommend them highly enough.

Lee DeRaud
11-21-2006, 10:03 PM
I'm on the west coast and don't have trouble finding plywood as much as finding quality plywood.Glenn, what has your experience been with Reel Lumber? I don't buy much ply, but they certainly have a huge selection every time I go in there. (That's in Anaheim, but they have another location in Riverside (I think), which I'm guessing is closer to where you are.)

Mike Henderson
11-21-2006, 10:23 PM
I'm on the west coast and don't have trouble finding plywood as much as finding quality plywood.
Two good sources I've found out here in SoCal are Anderson International on North Tustin, out by the 91, and Austin Hardwoods in Anaheim.

The people at Anderson are wonderful and will give you the same attention if you're looking for one sheet or a truckload. And if you can use it, they always have offcuts that they'll sell at a good price - but you have to be willing to take what they have on that day.

Mike

Christopher Stahl
11-22-2006, 3:12 PM
Call Industrial Plywood, they'll help you out. I order from the one in Lewistown with no problems, and they'll even deliver it if I buy $300 or more.

Ed Blough
11-22-2006, 4:18 PM
Jim (Andrew), that was going to be my exact approach but when I called Fesenden they said that in order to setup an account you needed to be able to show that;

1) You were a full-time woodshop
2) You had a shop in a non-residnetial setting.
3) You had to purchase something like $2,500 per year on plwood

I can meet none of these requirements.

I didn't tell them I was a private guy inquiring about it, I just said that I was interested in opening an account and asked what it took.

I would create an attractive letter head, put my order on the letter head, and fax it to them cash and carry. Most places only maintain accounts for purchase order and bill later accounts. If you do cash and carry (using cash) most will sell to you if you have an order on letter head or used a business name to place the order over the phone. Trying to pay by check or personal credit card may cause some to balk.

I do it all time, however in my case the business does exist (wife's floral) but they don't know it's status.

I also have a shirt with my son in laws construction company's name on. When I'm wearing that shirt I never had a wholesaler or trade only company refuse my business.