PDA

View Full Version : Glove Update

Bill Grumbine
09-13-2006, 9:25 PM
Greetings all

I posted a few days ago about my trouble finding work gloves that would fit my hands. Quite a few of you responded with some very good suggestions, and of those responses, quite a few recommended Duluth Trading. So I called them up and ordered some gloves, both insulated and non insulated. They arrived today.

When I was looking at their sizing charts, I measured my hands according to their directions. The size charts indicated that I should probably be able to get by with the large gloves, with the extra large being extra roomy. I found this just a little hard to believe, so I went with the extra large. My suspicions were borne out. The gloves fit, and they fit better than anything local, but they are still quite snug.

So now I have to wonder, who measures these things? The chart says that I have a 10 1/2 hand, and the extra large gloves are for hands sized 11-12. But the slide onto my hand with some serious effort, and fit almost like dishwashing gloves! I am expecting that they will stretch somewhat, but I think that I will also peruse some of the other sources given to me to see if there is actually an extra large glove out there for the extra large hands.

Thanks again for all the responses.

Bill

Jim King
09-13-2006, 9:39 PM
Bill : In one day you could make three pair of the size you need out of deer skin , cow skin or whatever and fishline. I got one guy like you "X large" and he handles the planer (Palm Wood) and that is how we solve the problem but from cow skin. My employees are all small by anyones standards and when the oil companies stopped drilling here there were no more large Gringo size gloves for them to steal so that is how we solved the problem. Very easy.

Jon Eckels
09-13-2006, 9:51 PM
Bill, you're probably looking for a heavy leather glove or something along those lines, but Ironclad makes some excellent work gloves, and several different types. They're mostly intended for framers/carpenters etc, but they make some nice thin tough ones that are really well insulated for cold weather too. they're meant to be realtively tight to the hand and fingers - more like a second skin than a glove, but they're very comfortable and don't hinder movement in the least. I have very large hands myself and I find that they're the only ones that fit well. They make a 2x size that fits me perfectly. www.ironclad.com (http://www.ironclad.com)

I didn't see the other thread, so all this may have been mentioned already. my apologies if it has been.

Humbly, on a side note, i just want to thank you for your first dvd, I've watched it several times and am looking forward for some free time to actually start turning some bowls.

Robert E Lee
09-13-2006, 11:20 PM
Bill, I just got a catalog from Gempler’s and there sizes are L 9-10, XL 10-11, 2XL 11-12, Jombo12-13 and Hippo which is 14”-15”. www.gemplers.com. I haven’t tried any of them but they look pretty in the book.
Bob

Joe Tonich
09-14-2006, 5:46 PM
Thanks for bringing up this question, Bill. I have never found gloves that fit, and according to Gemplers I have a 12 1/2" hand. The Pigskin Leather Driver's Gloves look like what I'm looking for, I hate bulky gloves.

I think I may have found a supplier........THANKS Robert!!:D :D

Dennis Peacock
09-14-2006, 8:19 PM
Well alright.....Bill and Joe both have a location to get some gloves that will be just "handy". :rolleyes: :D

Wes Bischel
09-14-2006, 9:08 PM
Bill,
Sorry to hear Duluth didn't work out.:( For the prices they charge, I would give them a call and either return or exchange them.
I hope you can find something!
Wes

Ben Grunow
09-14-2006, 9:49 PM
Maybe a hunting trip would yield some grizzly bear paws that could be turned inside out for gloves?! One digit short though. THis really is a tough one.

Robert E Lee
09-15-2006, 3:19 AM
Joe, If you get some let us know what they are. I see they have a100% guarantee so it should work out ok. I use heave cotton but all I can get around here anymore are light garden gloves.
Bob

Bill Grumbine
09-15-2006, 8:30 AM
Bill,
Sorry to hear Duluth didn't work out.:( For the prices they charge, I would give them a call and either return or exchange them.
I hope you can find something!
Wes

Hi Wes

I wouldn't say that they didn't work out, just that they are somewhat optimistic in the sizes they cover. The gloves do fit, and since I can't get gloves locally to even get past my knuckles, I am going to keep them and use them. Gloves around here do not last long anyway, maybe a year at best. I will try some of the other places as well, but until then, these will do.

This is sort of a fact of life for me - clothes, shoes, hats, gloves, cars, chairs, even the doorways in our house are not made for people like me. If you think it is tough finding a pair of gloves, you should see what it is like being restricted to a very small number of motor vehicles because with most of them it is more like putting it on instead of getting into it!

And of course, this doesn't even take tools into account! :eek:

Bill

Art Mulder
09-15-2006, 8:49 AM
If you think it is tough finding a pair of gloves, you should see what it is like being restricted to a very small number of motor vehicles because with most of them it is more like putting it on instead of getting into it!
Hey Bill,

Ditto on the car front, though for people like me, it's the height that is the problem. I'm 6'3" tall, and I have a long torso (ordinary 32" inseam pants). Cars are a challenge. I know that the average height for men is 5'11" (In Canada. 5'10" in the USA :confused: ) so my height is really not that far off from the average. But I have no idea how the numbers work out percentage-wise. But forget the sub-compact cars. And the Corralla/Civic/Cavalier compact-size cars are doubtful. We'll see what happens the next time I try car shopping. So much for trying to conserve gas.

My brother is 6'5", with the same type of torso. He thought he'd buy himself a compact-SUV, as a step-down from the monster Dodge pickup he bought 12 years ago that was sucking gas through that V10 engine. Forget it. He was forced into a full-sized SUV.

But this is going O/T, I'd better stop.

best,
...art

Bill Grumbine
09-15-2006, 9:10 AM
Art, I can really identify with you! I am an inch shorter, and I have the same short legs! I had to spend a bunch more money on my truck to get the electric adjustable seats so I could put the seat right down on the floor. I asked about the position of the nonadjustable (for height) seat, and was told it would be halfway between the extremes. That would put me in a permanent crouch - but you probably know that already. :p

Bill

Art Mulder
09-15-2006, 9:34 AM
Sure can relate, Bill! I rented a car last year and they gave me a Chrysler Sebring - I think that was it. I got into it, and wacked my head on the top of the door frame. I should have known right then. I drove it home (under a mile, thankfully) and quickly realized that it wouldn't do. The windows lean in so much that I had to sit with my head angled right. yeah. Soon as I got home I called them up and told them it was coming right back!

Wes Bischel
09-15-2006, 10:37 PM
Well, I can't personally relate (5'7") but my grandfather was 6'3" 288lbs - his last car was a Ford Maverick - he fit quite well. Though he was disappointed he had to take his hat off to get in.;)

Wes

Bill Grumbine
09-16-2006, 8:39 AM
Thanks for bringing up this question, Bill. I have never found gloves that fit, and according to Gemplers I have a 12 1/2" hand. The Pigskin Leather Driver's Gloves look like what I'm looking for, I hate bulky gloves.

I think I may have found a supplier........THANKS Robert!!:D :D

Joe, let us know how you make out! I am going to donwload the Gemplers template and see what my hand comes out to be too.

Bill

Ben Grunow
09-16-2006, 9:33 PM
At 6' 3", 250 lbs- for me the ultimate insult is flying. My shoulders are about 5" wider than an airplane seat. Really comfy on a long flight. My 5'10" wife loves to sit next to me too. May we never have to fly together Bill.

Joe Tonich
09-17-2006, 5:27 PM
Joe, let us know how you make out! I am going to donwload the Gemplers template and see what my hand comes out to be too.

Bill

Ordered 2 pair Jumbo's yesterday....shipping is a killer. Bought 2 pair so the order is a lil' (very little) more than the shipping. Still......if they work, $10/pair is still good.