PDA

View Full Version : Strangest Finishing Question Ever?

Jim Baker
10-10-2003, 8:34 PM
My father in law grows white corn - the type used by Frito Lay and other to make tortilla chips. He wants to preserve and display a couple of ears from this year's especially good crop.

Any ideas if one of the spray wood finishing products may do the trick?

Kevin Gerstenecker
10-10-2003, 8:39 PM
Jim, I would think that just letting the Ear Corn dry out of the husk, and then spraying with a Clear Finish, such as Deft, would do the trick. It has been a good year for crops in our area. The Soy Beans at the farm look outstanding, and the Corn is also as big as I can remember. Neat idea your FIL has..............who knows when we will have another year like this one.

Jim Baker
10-10-2003, 8:53 PM
The Soy Beans at the farm look outstanding, and the Corn is also as big as I can remember.

Thanks for the quick reply, Kevin. Around here, the corn is incredible. The beans have been mixed and even a little disappointing in some areas.

Jim Becker
10-10-2003, 9:00 PM
Once it's dried, shellac would be my choice...(super blond for white corn :D ). Shellac is about the best moisture barrier there is.

Bob Lasley
10-10-2003, 10:06 PM
Jim,

About four years ago, my wife decided that she wanted some loaves of bread preserved to display in a basket above her cabinets. So, figuring I had little to lose, I sprayed on several coats of gloss poly. They still look like they just came out of the oven. If it works on bread, ought to work on corn.

Bob