PDA

View Full Version : lil cup- comments/critiques wanted

Stephen Hibbs
09-13-2006, 8:43 PM
Hey guys, I haven't posted in a few weeks since school's started again and ruined everything :mad: but I made this in a hurry as an unexpected deadline popped up (dad's b-day). This is a little cup (2"T X3"W) out of endgrainironbark eucalyptus. Originally a small NE bowl, the bark flew off and I went with the base to complement the lighter style. Fairly thin walls. The picture doesn't do it justice, but it's a pretty plain wood with red heart and I would like your opinions on the form. I think it could be used for holding keys, change, or paperclips.

Also, I have bluish and grey spots in the outer wood that appeared after finishing, has anyone ever gotten this? It's not a good effect, and I've had it a few times before.

Corey Hallagan
09-13-2006, 9:05 PM
Steven, that will be a nice little gift for dad, perfect for what you said. The blue grey spots, are you using sand paper that is blue/grey colored? In light woods it will leave the piece looking like it has mineral stains in it. DAMHIKT :) If so, avoid this kind of paper on light colored woods. Use the white or brown/garnet type.

Corey

Stephen Hibbs
09-13-2006, 10:32 PM
ooooh That's it exactly!! Thank you so much for that info, though I now need to find some different sandpaper.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-13-2006, 10:39 PM
Bravo Zulu Stephen! Nice form and I'm sure your Dad will love it!

Frank Kobilsek
09-14-2006, 9:16 AM
Stephan,
Try 3M Gold sandpaper. They use somekind of 'Blaster' name on it. Its available at Menards, Home Depot, etc. The only paper I buy from the catalogs is 600 and up and for those I like the Fintak, japanese paper from Crafts Supply.

I really like the shape of the bowl area of the cup, maybe the foot could be lighter. I guess that means flatter or a shorter rise from the table to the stem. This is a challenge I have on footed/stemed bowls and cups/goblets like this. I have not acheived a foot that I like but that is the direction I think I need to go. I get the same feel from your piece.

Just something to consider.

Frank