PDA

View Full Version : Timber Boxes

Aimee Gray
09-13-2006, 7:18 PM
Hi Everyone

Since buying our laser, we have progressed a lot with the operation of our laser. We now know some things we can and cannot do with it and what settings to laser certain things.
At the moment I am doing some timber boxes that we purchased from a wine company in Australia, they were imported from somewhere overseas. You can tell, not very good workmanship. Plus we have no idea of the type of timber. They were Made In China, as the sticker says.
The problem I am having is that when lasered some parts of the lid come out black, other parts white, and other parts striped a mixture of both. What I really want to know, is there anything that we could stick to the timber so that when lasered it cuts through that, then we can spray a paint or something over then peel off, (like a stencil) as to cover the awfull marks of the timber. We tryed masking tape, but that is really awfull stuff to try and peel off.
Any idea would be appreciated
Thanks
Aimee

Joe Pelonio
09-13-2006, 7:41 PM
LaserBits and other suppliers sell a mask for that, called laser mask. The cheaper route is to go to a sign supply or even a sign shop and ask to buy some transfer tape. It will act as a mask and peel off easily. If you will be clearcoating the box do it first, to help keep the paint from bleeding in the soft wood.

Bruce Volden
09-13-2006, 8:25 PM
I often use "drywall tape"-you can use this at a LOW setting to see where you're marking as it turns a lighter contrast, or you can burn through it and stain, paint, fill, mix colors.....

Bruce

Mike Hood
09-13-2006, 10:54 PM
I own a vinyl cutter as well as my laser, and one of the handiest things from the sign business is application tape. You can get it in several types. You'll want low tack. It comes in all sorts of widths and is very inexpensive.

Has an adhesive tack about like a Post-It note.

Aimee Gray
09-13-2006, 11:31 PM
Thanks everyone for giving me some ideas.
In reply to Bruce Volden;
I just went over to Emmo's they do have drywall tape but it isn't sticky. Just wondering if you are able to get stick stuff or if not how do you stick it down.
Thanks again, I will try your suggestions.
Aimee

Bruce Volden
09-14-2006, 7:38 AM
Aimee

Look, perhaps, for painters tape vs. drywall tape. It's just your basic masking tape only with easy release!

Bruce

Shaddy Dedmore
09-14-2006, 9:58 AM
Try signwarehouse (http://www.signwarehouse.com/c-A-EM.html), get some 6.5" and 3" paper mask. Compare price to Laserbits (http://www.laserbits.com/main.php3?SELECT=Masking+Materials&CLASS=Laser+Supplies).

Shaddy