PDA

View Full Version : Dust in my filters...........Cyclone

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
09-13-2006, 3:20 PM
Well, I know that some do not believe how well a Pentz designed cyclone can work, but I've been waiting for this day for some time.

I built a Pentz designed cyclone, and I'm very happy with it, I always tell people that next to no dust even makes it to my filter stack, but most think I'm exaggerating.

A while back, I started to keep track, I counted each and every time I emptied the dust bin on the cyclone, the bin holds 138 liter, (36.5 US Gal) but I don't let if get full right to the top (well OK just that once I over filled it, but just) so I figure a conservative estimate is 120 liters (32 US gal) each time I've emptied it. I did not open the clean out in the filter stack once, I just kept emptying the dust bin. Today, I needed to empty the bin, as I have some stock prep to do, and that can fill the bin quickly, it was the tenth time I emptied the bin. I did this at the start of my work tonight, and last night, knowing I'd empty the bin today, I banged and blew out the filter stack, and then let it sit over night, so all the dust could settle in the clean out.

When I opened the clean out, there was more dust than I've ever seen in the clean out before, but still it was not very much.

How much............?

Well that is a shot glass, it says on the side it holds 50 ml, and it is less than half full, but again, lets be conservative and say 25 ml.

120 liters x 10 = 1200 liters (320 US Gal) of saw dust removed, and 25 ml (0.85 oz) of fine dust in the filter stack.

1200 x 1000 = 1200000ml, right, so 25/1200000 = a really small percentage....... :eek:

I can live that that kind of separation ratio :D

Julio Navarro
09-13-2006, 3:37 PM
That is increadable Stu.

I still havent emptied my bin let alone the filter box, but I will take a look tonight!

Matt Warfield
09-13-2006, 3:49 PM
Stu,

Thanks for posting your usage results. It's encouraging to know that I'm building a DC system that has worked so well for others. It took me a while to pull the trigger on the filters but I managed to find 4 Ultra Web .3 micron filters for a combined total of $55 shipped. Gotta love finding items mis-listed on the big auction site. :D

Thanks,

Matt

Bruce Shiverdecker
09-13-2006, 4:24 PM
You convinced me, Stu. Just wish I had the room and Ears to have one in my little ol' shop. I saw the Blue Thunder in operation and wanted it, but they don't make it small enough.

Bruce