PDA

View Full Version : Atlas 912 bandsaw, my first gloat!!

Marc Schmitz
09-13-2006, 11:07 AM
Greetings;
WooHoo my first gloat, actually the first posted gloat. Anyway, I am now the proud 2nd owner of a 1950s Atlas 12inch bandsaw along with a dozen or so 82 inch 1/8 to 1/2 blades for wood and metal. Heavy cast iron, 6 inch capacity, 4 speeds, on a steel cart w/ casters and worklight. I'm very happy, as it will serve my needs nicely. Oh, the gloat part: $30, the guy wanted 25!!! It needs tires (12 x 1) and the 1/3hp motor needs a desawdusting, but it runs quietly...I already have a 3/4 hp motor that may find it's way onto this eventually. This saw sold for $105 in the 50s, w/o the cart, slowspeed arbor, or worklight.
Thanks for allowing a guy to celebrate,
W. Marc Schmitz

Maurice Ungaro
09-13-2006, 11:09 AM
Marc,
Welcome to The Creek! Very nice haul - there's no iron like old, heavy, well kept iron!

tod evans
09-13-2006, 11:29 AM
nice score! welcome marc.

Don Baer
09-13-2006, 11:30 AM
What the others said, welcome.

Brad Noble
09-13-2006, 11:40 AM
Nice gloat! Looks to be in good condition too. You'll spend many an enjoyable hour watching those blades cut wood. Congrats and Welcome to the Creek.

Brad

Marc Schmitz
09-14-2006, 10:49 AM
Thanks, I guess since it's not a 20+ inch bandsaw I won't get a "you suck" :rolleyes:.
I'd love to have a monster saw, but this one will do me fine, and the price was definately right. I was watching 2 bandsaws on Ebay, when I stumbled across this one on the local Pennysavers web page. I've purchased several items from the local Pennysaver paper, but this one I found on the website while searching all of Maryland. It was 25 miles from home, much closer than the 285 amp arc welder I bought off Ebay in Pennsylvania, but farther away than the walker turner drill press I found in the Pennysaver just 3 miles from home. I also have a small dremel scrollsaw I bought for $15. Second hand tools are great for things I'd "like" to have but can't justify spending lots for. I do have a new router and compound miter saw, both Hitachis. Anyway, tools rule.
W. Marc Schmitz

Bob Aquino
09-14-2006, 11:14 AM
Congrats, and let me be the first to say YOU SUCK

Brian Hale
09-14-2006, 4:53 PM
Nice score Marc!

Looks like Maryland is a good place to find them :cool:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=24998&highlight=Atlas

Brian :)

BTW, Welcome to the Creek!

(edit) WOW, That was my 1,000th post. Do i get a prize???? :rolleyes:

Marc Schmitz
09-14-2006, 5:16 PM
Thanks Brian, my saw is not as pretty as yours, wow! I already ordered tires and they should arrive tomorrow. Woodcraft wanted 24 bucks each! I bought 2 for $27 from McFeelys. This weekend I'm going to clean & tune her up. She's a petite yet sturdy girl alright! I bought her not far from you in, ah, shoot- can't remember town but next to White Marsh Mall.

Julio Navarro
09-14-2006, 5:38 PM
I think your right Bryan.

I am gonna be up in Maryland weekend after next for my brothers wedding, I wish I could run into a deal like that one while I was there.

Brian Hale
09-14-2006, 6:17 PM
Julio, Make sure you bring some sunshine up with you, we sure could use it. ;)

Marc, if i can offer any advice, please ask. If those tires are the orange poly tires, you're in for a fun time getting them on; they don't stretch too well. I wound up heating them in some boiling water and that made them a bit easier to get on but it still took both of us to do it.

I also changed out the tensioning spring to an Iturra (sp?) i ordered from Highland Woodworking. IIRC i also got the tires and cool blocks from them.

Was Perry Hall where you got it?

Brian :)

Marc Schmitz
09-14-2006, 9:22 PM
Brian, it was Perry Hall, maybe 2 miles off of 95 across the main drag from White Marsh. The first thing I said to the retired gentleman upon meeting him was, "Got anything else for sale???"
Anyway, I will definately ask if I have any questions, thanks for the offer.
Up to 1001 now eh?!?!?!:D
Marc Schmitz

Mike Cutler
09-14-2006, 9:31 PM
Marc. Welcome to Sawmill Creek. pleased to meet ya'.

Nice gloat on the bandsaw. It looks in very good condition. I won't say that "You Suck", 'cause it's a little bit rude for me. If you bought that Walker Turner Drill press 3 miles from your house though. I might have to say "You Suck".:D ;) Man, those are nice drill presses.

Once again. Welcome to Sawmill Creek.

glenn bradley
09-14-2006, 9:34 PM
And the made in the USA heavy iron just keeps on workin' Congrats!

Julio Navarro
09-14-2006, 9:53 PM
Man, you guys are killing me with all these old memories, I used to live in Perry Hall right off of Bel Air road near White Marsh.

As far as sunshine goes I would if I could.