PDA

View Full Version : Looking for comments on the Clear Vue Cyclones

Rick de Roque
09-13-2006, 12:41 AM
Anyone have the Clear Vue Cyclone? Good? Bad? How are they compared to other cyclones?
Thanks,
Rick

tod evans
09-13-2006, 6:15 AM
rick, several guys own them on the forum, i`ve never heard anything but good reviews. tod

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
09-13-2006, 6:36 AM
Anyone have the Clear Vue Cyclone? Good? Bad? How are they compared to other cyclones?
Thanks,
Rick

Quite simply, unless you are going to build your own cyclone, this is the best unit on the market, IMHO.

Ed will give you a great deal on the cyclone, the blower, the motor, the filters etc, what ever you need.

Plus I think it would be fairly need to see it in action all the time :D

I built my own, but if I were in the US, I would be VERY tempted to just by one, and be done with it.

Cheers!

Phil Winn
09-13-2006, 7:08 AM
I LOVE mine....would purchase another in a heart beat! A good friend of mine bought one from Oneida at the same time I bought mine---same specs....he is planning on giving his to his so, and buying a CVC.
Phil

Jim O'Dell
09-14-2006, 6:55 PM
Rick, Ed is a class act to work with. I've got mine up, but still not running. (Don't tell Ed!) Still working on the duct work, and need to get the electricity turned on...but that's another story. It's easy to assemble. Jim.

Russ Massery
09-14-2006, 7:42 PM
I've had mine for about 5 months now. I'm Extremely happy with it. And I can say enough about Ed and help he gave along the way. Nice to be able to call when you need help. Especially in the evenings. I had a 2hp Onieda, no comparsion. The Onieda left dust pyles in my cabinet saw. Barely any with the Clearvue. I highly recommed it!

Jake Helmboldt
09-14-2006, 10:11 PM
Could you two elaborate on your experiences? Since you have Oneidas to compare them to I'd be curious to know what seems to be so much better in the CVC design.

Russ is your CVC also a 2hp or more? Is this what makes the difference in suction or is it something in the design?

Jake

Julio Navarro
09-14-2006, 10:23 PM
I would be willing to bet the impeller design and blower have alot to do with it.

Ed's impeller is a heavy duty monster and the blower is well built and perfect for the CVC.

I bought Ed's 14" impeller and it weighs almost as much as the 3hp Leeson motor. That thing sucks some serious air.

Russ Massery
09-14-2006, 10:44 PM
Also, It's in the design of the Cyclone itself. It's a Bill Pentz design. The inlet is on a angle. It's also a rectangle not a round. Which helps reduce turblulence. The air ramp helps with separation. I could on and on. But what sold me was the fact it was the only Pentz design on the market. I suggest going to Bill Pentz's site and read up. And there is a LOT to read. Bill is a SMC member. Also considered the by many (including myself) guru of dust collection. He has done a lot of research on the matter. Also Call Ed I must have talked to him 3-4 times before buying. As a Side note Ed pays a small royalty to Bill for use of his design.

Matt Warfield
09-14-2006, 10:54 PM
Ed will give you a great deal on the cyclone, the blower, the motor, the filters etc, what ever you need.

Last I checked, they didn't offer filters but have setup a deal with Wynn Environmental.

I bought mine last december and honestly haven't completely set it up yet. The honey do list is longer than my arm. I have corresponded with Ed Morgano via email and he's a genuine good guy straight shooter. So far, I have nothing but praise for them although I'm more than anxious to actually get it hooked up to a machine.

Matt

Jim Hinze
09-15-2006, 6:25 AM
I have one, wouldn't trade it for anything... Ed's a great business man, has good customer support, and an excellent product...

Besides, it's WAY cool to see the dust stream spinning down the chute :D

Jake Helmboldt
09-15-2006, 7:37 AM
that so many have had good results and are happy. I personally think Ed would be well served by making it look more refined. I realize function is much more important than form, but there is an element of the CVC that looks a bit cobbled together and that always left me wondering if it was something thrown together in somebody's garage. Glad to hear it really performs.

Jake

Matt Warfield
09-15-2006, 8:00 AM
that so many have had good results and are happy. I personally think Ed would be well served by making it look more refined. I realize function is much more important than form, but there is an element of the CVC that looks a bit cobbled together and that always left me wondering if it was something thrown together in somebody's garage. Glad to hear it really performs.

Jake

Well, it was done in his garage or workshop. Thrown together? Far from it. As you're probably aware, Ed is a machinist by trade and it shows in the mechanical piece. Of course, you could always throw it together in your garage using the Bill Pentz plans if you like?

I know you weren't implying that it was thrown together and that it was just a thought. True, the other cyclone manufacturer's do look all nice and polished - for a lot more money and, my opinion based on the reviews of others, no better performance. Looking to forming my own hands-on opinion. ;)

Matt

Doug Shepard
09-15-2006, 8:13 AM
Cant comment yet on how well it works as I'm currently undergoing a CVC install and don't have it completed yet.
http://gallery.clearvuecyclones.com/Dougs-Mini-CV1400

Ditto the other comments on Ed being great to work with. He's even returned a phone call or two on a Sunday, which is almost unheard of in this day and age.

... but there is an element of the CVC that looks a bit cobbled together and that always left me wondering if it was something thrown together in somebody's garage. ...
Jake

Yup - thrown together in MY garage.:D

brent lenthall
09-16-2006, 1:54 PM
I'd like to piggyback on this thread with any comparison to the Grizzly 3HP cyclone. I don't want to start the whole import vs. US debate but did have a couple of questions.

In my reading the Clearvue and Grizzly 3HP had sim. test numbers (CFM at certain inches of SP).

The Grizzly complete (shipped) is $1285
The clearvue is $995 plus I would need to purchase a barrel, switch and filters. It does include 6 blast gates, but the Grizzly includes a remote starter.

Price wise it's a wash.

My concerns/questions.

1. I have a wynn cannister filter on my single stage dust collector and it's a pain to keep it clean. Without a brush or beater, can I expect the same problem with a wynn filter on the clearvue?

2. The Clearvue has a 5hp motor, but it's rated compressor duty. Will this work in a commercial cabinet shop? (not constant use, but more the a couple mins. at a time)

3. Any concerns I should have about the Grizzly (other than import motor). Design issues that aren't reflected in the CFM specs, but may result in poor collection?

thanks

brent

Matt Warfield
09-16-2006, 3:42 PM
1. I have a wynn cannister filter on my single stage dust collector and it's a pain to keep it clean. Without a brush or beater, can I expect the same problem with a wynn filter on the clearvue?

Short answer, no. The cyclone separates all but some of the fine dust into the collection drum. Stu recently posted a good evaluation on this showing 1/2 shot glass of dust from the filters after emptying 320 gallons of sawdust from his drum.

2. The Clearvue has a 5hp motor, but it's rated compressor duty. Will this work in a commercial cabinet shop? (not constant use, but more the a couple mins. at a time)

I haven't heard of any issues. Most people that I've talked to leave theirs running during the entirety of their dust making operations. Repeated start cycles in a short time frame is much harder on the motor.

3. Any concerns I should have about the Grizzly (other than import motor). Design issues that aren't reflected in the CFM specs, but may result in poor collection?

I haven't used the Grizzly. I recall reading somewhere that it was very close to the Pentz design with a few modifications for economical reasons which negatively affected the separation efficiency. But that was a while ago and the Grizzly design may have changed since then. The one modification I remember being noted was the angle of intake from round to rectangle being different and adding turbulence. But then again, I haven't used the Grizzly cyclone so take this with a grain of salt.

I would highly encourage you to read Bill Pentz's website if you haven't already. It's a real education and can provide answers to some of your questions from a scientific stand point.

Matt

Jim Becker
09-16-2006, 3:46 PM
I do not have the ClearVue, but from what I hear/see from others who do, it's a really good option that sits between buying a complete system and building one completely from scratch. You have a bit of work to do to get it up and running...more than buying a package from Oneida and others, but far less than you would starting with large sheets of flat metal, etc.

Jan Williamson
09-16-2006, 4:48 PM
I bought a Clearvue, built a closet around it for my garage turned full time shop,and am real close to getting it fired up. Waiting on the electrician. I have been working on all the dust ports and PVC ducting this summer. I got some "used for one week each" filters from a local mill. So I am just finishing the filter stack.
Ed at Clearvue was very helpful and prompt to respond to my questions.

Russ Massery
09-16-2006, 6:11 PM
Just to add, the separation is so good on the Clearvue. I have a vent leading outside the shop. After 30 or so barrels of chips. There isn't enough dust on the inside of the vent to cover the end of my finger. Ed has pictures of his units installed in commercial environment on is website.

Ken Deckelman
09-16-2006, 7:40 PM
I have had mine ClearVue up and running for 8 months now...
I can't really say anything that has not been said already.

It is a great unit, Ed is great to deal with, The system works as advertised (no marketing hype) It just plain SUCKS!

Ed Morgano
09-17-2006, 10:58 PM
Hi everyone,
Last night I happened upon this post quite by accident. I just have to say that I was amazed. I know we have a good product, but the amazing thing is the number of you who have taken the time to post here and give us glowing reviews. It does my heart good to know that our hard work hasn’t gone unnoticed. I have purposely put a very high priority on customer service….the old fashion way. I’ve done this for two reasons: First, I believe that in the long run it’s just good business (over time the word will get out that we have great customer service and that will be a key factor in our long term growth. Secondly, and more importantly, I’ve done this because I truly believe it is the right thing to do – to treat customers as if they are the most important part of our business….not just before the sale, but during and after the sale too.
I want to say thank you to everyone who posted here for Clear Vue Cyclones.

Ed Morgano

P.S. Jim O'dell, looks like I’m going to have to come to Texas and wire up your shop!!!!! :mad: I believe you are approaching the record for the longest Clear Vue installation……..don’t get excited, there isn’t a prize for that.:)

Jim O'Dell
09-17-2006, 11:14 PM
Ed, somehow I knew you were going to see that!:D :D And if I do own that record, at least I will have done something no one else has done! I've been part of records that have stood the test of time as a team, but never as an individual. :rolleyes:
Ed, I am working on it, abeit slowly. I just need some flex hose and rework the hood on the table saw to have that one hooked up. Need to get back on Texas Electric, or try some of the other providers if TU won't budge on their stance. It will get done, eventually.....Jim.

David Less
09-18-2006, 5:42 AM
Rick,

I've had mine running close to a year now, although it is somewhat of a custom design (to fit my low ceilings) I'm tickled pink with it. Based on your questions, I would not hesitate to call Ed M. and talk to him. He will answer all of your questions and concerns.

Just my $.02

David

tod evans
09-18-2006, 6:04 AM
Hi everyone,
I have purposely put a very high priority on customer service….the old fashion way. I’ve done this for two reasons: First, I believe that in the long run it’s just good business (over time the word will get out that we have great customer service and that will be a key factor in our long term growth. Secondly, and more importantly, I’ve done this because I truly believe it is the right thing to do – to treat customers as if they are the most important part of our business….not just before the sale, but during and after the sale too.
I want to say thank you to everyone who posted here for Clear Vue Cyclones.

Ed Morgano

for anybody on the fence about ed`s product, i`ve spoken to ed in the past and explained my current set up and his advice was that if i wanted to upgrade to look into a professionally designed system. folks that`s about as honest as they come! he didn`t try to sell me on something i couldn`t use and was very knowledgable about the larger commercial set-ups. if ed manufactured a cyclone that would fit my opperation i wouldn`t hesitate to do business with him.....02 tod

Doug Shepard
09-18-2006, 8:06 AM
P.S. Jim O'dell, looks like I’m going to have to come to Texas and wire up your shop!!!!! :mad: I believe you are approaching the record for the longest Clear Vue installation……..don’t get excited, there isn’t a prize for that.:)

Gee - I thought Jim would beat me across the finish line and I'd end up with that record.:D I've been making steady but slow process, but I've been stalled on designing removable walls and framing on the DC closet for the last few days. I think things are going to grind to a snails pace when it comes time to run the ducting in the rafters. Fancy a trip to Michigan anytime in the future?:D

Joe Meazle
09-21-2006, 12:06 PM
Rick, where are you going to put a cyclone? One is my short list too. We need to get together and talk some time.

Matt Warfield
09-21-2006, 1:10 PM
Gee - I thought Jim would beat me across the finish line and I'd end up with that record.:D I've been making steady but slow process, but I've been stalled on designing removable walls and framing on the DC closet for the last few days. I think things are going to grind to a snails pace when it comes time to run the ducting in the rafters. Fancy a trip to Michigan anytime in the future?:D

I may be in the running too. Purchased my in Dec '05 and just got it mounted last month. Something about the LOML using the cone as storage for garden tools :eek: got me moving on that part. That, and I know of a biz which may be closing soon and they'll have a ton of spiral pipe to get rid of. Otherwise, I've been busy with remodeling projects.

The crawl is on...

Matt

Jim O'Dell
09-21-2006, 4:07 PM
Matt, only Dec of '05...tch, tch. I bought mine in April '05. :o :o
Doug, I did/am doing mine between the rafters as well. Maybe you haven't seen the pictures on my rehab thread, I posted a few, geez, 5 months ago???? I started the install, Bill Pentz suggested metal would have been better in the attic incase of a fire, the pipe couldn't be seen and PVC could be a problem. So I worked on a way to keep it open to the shop, but closed to the attic. First attempt failed badly. Took it all out and started over. Lost about 6 weeks of weekends in the process, but now have a pretty good handle on it. I've hit 2 weekends in a row here with dog shows, so will be another week before I can get serious about it again. But that's the way life goes! Jim.

Matt Warfield
09-21-2006, 4:56 PM
Matt, only Dec of '05...tch, tch. I bought mine in April '05. :o :o

Well geez, you are taking your sweet time. I'm hoping to have my done by Xmas but that's really not in the budget(time or money) as my wife has a long list this year.

Jim O'Dell
09-21-2006, 7:49 PM
Yeah, Matt, I understand about both budget constraints. Mine's more the latter at this point, but the former creates a problem, too. I just wish I could get a straight answer from the power company on what it will cost per kwh to run this shop. All they will tell me is commercial rates. I'll save my money and bury a cable off the house meter if I have too. You'd think they would prefer to have the money for usage now at that rate rather than wait a year or so to start getting the same thing? Offshore CS just gets in the way of normal people trying to do normal things. Jim.

Rick de Roque
09-21-2006, 9:36 PM
Thanks everyone for the great posts. I need to give Ed a call to figure how I can make it work in my shop.

Thanks again for everyones help.
Rick

Ken Vick
09-21-2006, 11:20 PM
I am extremely happy with my CVC. Putting it together and hanging it was quite easy and quick. Working some evenings and most weekends I was finished in about a month, including running a 220 line and wiring a motor relay for remote start. Most of this time was spent on ducting issues. Finding S&D pipe and fittings took a little effort and running pipe and changing out dust ports to bell shaped 6" fittings took several days work but that would be the case with any cylcone. Ken

Ken Harris
02-13-2010, 11:30 AM
Thanks,
Rick
Rick
after 3 years finally opened clearvue boxes found defective part called Matt up he sent replacement parts no charge.He also indicated if I found anything else wrong call back.Obviously I cannot praise clearvue enough.

Ken Harris

Jim O'Dell
02-13-2010, 12:44 PM
3 years....in boxes??????? Just now opening??????!!!!!?????? 141895 I never deserved to even think I could hold the title. :D
I actually had a similar situation. I had mine for about 6 or 7 months before I did more than just peak inside the box to make sure nothing was broken. I got it out to start putting it together, and noticed that it leaned slightly to one side. Ed said it should work fine, but offered to replace it. When the replacement came, I met the UPS driver walking to the front door and heard a "ching-ching-a-ling" noise coming from the box. The driver said "This doesn't sound good. I can take it back if you want." We opened the box, and it was the package of bolts and nuts that had broken and was rattling in the box. :p Ed also emailed me to get my phone number, no insisted he get my phone number, so he could call me one Sunday evening to make sure I was happy with the product and that he had taken care of my concerns to my satisfaction. I think he wanted to hear my voice to make sure nothing was lost via the written word of email. Jim.

phil harold
02-15-2010, 7:34 PM
in this thread there is how many CVC actualy running
vs
How many are still under construction?

Baxter Smith
02-15-2010, 7:47 PM
Add 1 more to the up and running list. Have had mine since last fall and it has been great although I only had a 1 hp barrell top to compare to.

Cameron Reddy
02-15-2010, 9:39 PM
I've had mine for several years. Ed IS great to work with. It's a fantastic machine.

Cameron Reddy

tom A nelson
02-15-2010, 11:08 PM
I have been using my system for about 4 months. Mine took about 5 months to get going- the hardest part was doing the piping and other fittings. The actual cv install was probably 6 days work, including painting the unfinished mdf. some of that was waiting for the paint to dry. By far the harder part was installing all the hvac pipe- I waited for my brother in law to help and finally learned how to work it myself when he ran out of time and I ran of patience. It is an amazing system. I am very proud of it. I appreciate all of Bill Penz's work in design and Ed's work on carrying out the design. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the CV. So far all machines are connected and I am happy with most of the collectors except for the miter saw. My wife says I have really made the shop look mechanical with all the pipe everywhere, but all is functional.

John Coloccia
02-16-2010, 4:56 AM
in this thread there is how many CVC actualy running
vs
How many are still under construction?

For the record, I installed my CV in one night. There's just nothing to it. Making the brackets take about 10 minutes. The rest is just screwing and sealing. Recently I moved it from one end if the shop to the other. I built new brackets also. The entire move took all of an hour, including the wiring.

Running the duct went much faster than expected too. I completely finished the first time in about a day or so. It's really very simple. The hardest part is when you see what 6" PVC fitting cost. Oh Madonna!!

So I guess to anyone who still has it in the box and is afraid to tear in, this is not a difficult project at all. At some point j have to post my design for the trash lid and the cleanout. I decided I didn't like the original design and came up with something much simpler.

mike johnston
02-16-2010, 10:18 AM
Mine has been up and running for over 2 years, and has never missed a beat. I echo the comments that Ed is great to work with.

Mike Johnston