PDA

View Full Version : Air Compressor Question

Mark Riegsecker
09-12-2006, 10:44 PM
Recently I partitioned some rooms in my pole barn with 10' walls for an office area, finishing room and a mill room. I had a 150psi compressor up front already bolted to the floor and didn't want to move it. It's not inside the rooms so I thought running 3/4" black pipe to the rooms using quick connects would work just fine. I had done this before with a smaller compressor with good results but this time after a blast of good compression it fades off to about half of what I get directly from the tank using a 50' hose.

The 3/4" black pipe goes up about 10' high to the ceiling then travels horizontal (small grade up for the water to fall) I placed a "t" to go down to the first quick connect. Then the pipe travels 26' using several 90 degree turns to get to get to the opposite outside walls.
I came down with about 6 quick connects protruding from the walls all the vertical pipe is 1/2" black pipe.

I followed the instructions from a finishing room book which I forgot the name of.
Well as you can imagine this involved quite a bit of work and money. I can't imagine this thing not working.

I'd sure appreciate some advice.

Mark

Tyler Howell
09-12-2006, 10:54 PM
That doesn't sound right?? Pipe is extra storage.
Any obstructions, pipe dope, or teflon tape cutting off the flow of air to your pipe?
I once had a pipe that wasn't drilled (formed) all the way through:confused:
Keep testing.

Allen Bookout
09-12-2006, 11:38 PM
I have the same setup as you with the same size pipe except my runs are a lot longer and have no problem. The only difference is that I do not have quick disconnects where the hoses attach. Could it be that the small inside diameter of the quick disconnets is small enough that it is restricting the flow? As well as I remember, I think that there are full flow quick disconnects and also cheaper ones that are not. I would suggest, as a first step, to eliminate one of the disconnects and see what kind of flow that you get and go from there.

If that is not it there must be some restriction in the pipeing somewhere as Tyler has suggested.

Frank Chaffee
09-12-2006, 11:39 PM
…but this time after a blast of good compression it fades off to about half of what I get directly from the tank using a 50' hose.
That doesn't sound right?? Pipe is extra storage.
Any obstructions, pipe dope, or teflon tape cutting off the flow of air to your pipe? I once had a pipe that wasn't drilled (formed) all the way through:confused:
Keep testing.
Mark,
Since you get a blast at full pressure from your system when it is fully charged, but then air flow is reduced, I agree with Tyler that there may be an obstruction in your line.

You say that all your lines are black pipe. I have never seen an ID reduction in black pipe, but I have seen both nipples and street ells that were galvanized having reduced ID’s, but never enough to cause the level of problem you have. Could a stone have been driven into the end of a length of pipe?

Can you eliminate the hose or tool as a point of flow reduction?

Does the problem occur at every drop?

Good luck,
Frank

Mark Riegsecker
09-13-2006, 9:08 AM
quote=Tyler Howell I once had a pipe that wasn't drilled (formed) all the way through
Keep testing

I must admit I didn't look through the pipe before using it. I guess I assumed.:eek:

quote=Allen Bookout As well as I remember, I think that there are full flow quick disconnects and also cheaper ones that are not. I would suggest, as a first step, to eliminate one of the disconnects and see what kind of flow that you get and go from there.

I did get the quick connects from Lowe's. I wasn't aware different styles except Aro and Milton. These are cheap maybe $1.50 each. I'll take one off to compare the air flow. I did think it was that small 1/4" diameter yellow coiled line which I replaced, to no avail.

quote=Frank Chaffee You say that all your lines are black pipe. I have never seen an ID reduction in black pipe, but I have seen both nipples and street ells that were galvanized having reduced ID’s, but never enough to cause the level of problem you have. Could a stone have been driven into the end of a length of pipe?

Can you eliminate the hose or tool as a point of flow reduction?

Does the problem occur at every drop

I can't believe an obstruction in the pipe is causing this reduction but as I replied to Tyler I didn't look either. I will try your suggestions and let you know. I sure appreciate all your responses.

Thank you Mark

Ed Labadie
09-13-2006, 9:27 AM
Check the shut off valve on the compressor tank.
It should be a FULL FLOW ball valve. Some ball valves have a smaller ball in them, this creates a flow restriction.
The valve on the tank should also be 3/4", just like your pipe.
You should not be using a pressure regulator at the tank, regulators need to be at the quick connect points.
I use a moisture trap at the tank, make sure it is 3/4" pipe, no reducing the pipe size to fit the trap.
The fitting in the tank also needs to be 3/4" to make it work properly.

My system is also plumbed the same as yours.

Ed

CPeter James
09-13-2006, 9:49 AM
Because you get a blast when you first turn it on and it then fades, the obstruction is at the tank end. The pipe is acting as a reservoir and when that is drained, the limited flow from the tank kicks in. I would suspect something either in the valve or a disconnect at the tank. Do you have a water trap/filter at the tank? I run 150' of 3/8" hose all over the yard feeding my sandblaster and can get 15 cfm through that so you should be able to get 50 cfm through your set up. The is a blockage somewhere and close to the tank.

CPeter

Allen Bookout
09-14-2006, 10:31 PM
Mark,

When you find out what is wrong would you let us know what the problem is.
Will eventually help someone I'll bet.

Allen