PDA

View Full Version : New member

Dave Anthony
09-12-2006, 7:12 PM
Hi all,

Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm fairly new to this hobby and am just starting to venture into furniture making. This is my latest effort, an end table from bubinga and walnut based on a David Marks design. Lots of firsts for me here - 1st time resawing, working with figured wood, building a mitered frame. Please feel free to critique execution, wood choice, finish, etc. pics here:

http://s84.photobucket.com/albums/k26/zdx1432/

Thanks for looking.
-Dave

Kevin Blunt
09-12-2006, 7:18 PM
Excellent work Dave!

I especiakky like the bookmatching that you did on the table. Congrats on a very goog job.

Kevin

Frank Pellow
09-12-2006, 7:30 PM
Welcome to Saw Mill Creek Dave. Judging from the quality of the table that you pointed to, you have a lot to contibute here. Nice job!

Lori Kleinberg
09-12-2006, 7:31 PM
Welcome to the creek. Very nice looking table.
Sit back and prepare to learn and then share
your own experiences.

Tony Falotico
09-12-2006, 7:37 PM
WOW, beautiful piece Dave, nothing to critique here......... Welcome to the 'Creek

Corey Hallagan
09-12-2006, 7:45 PM
Niiiccee! I love the combination of stock here. Beautiful!

corey

Jay Knoll
09-12-2006, 8:14 PM
Dave, welcome! Wonderful job!

Jay

Steve Clardy
09-12-2006, 8:14 PM
Welcome Dave

Art Mulder
09-12-2006, 8:27 PM
Welcome, Dave, you're gonna like it here.

Lovely table, but what is that last picture? The one with the two curved pieces on the Tablesaw? Is that a photo of some reaction wood? Or am I missing something?

Ken Fitzgerald
09-12-2006, 8:30 PM
Welcome to the Creek Dave! Wade right in the water's fine!

John Fry
09-12-2006, 8:38 PM
Welcome Dave,

I'm pretty new here myself.

Your table is very nice, but I must ask you about that last picture on your page of pictures. The one of the table saw top, appears that you had some "twisty-twisty" going on there.

Dave Anthony
09-12-2006, 9:45 PM
Art & John: I had a lot of problems with wood movement. The last picture is of stock that had been milled square and flat. I milled a bit oversize & got this after a couple of days :(. The thin piece warped & twisted immediately as it was being ripped (pretty scary). I have no idea why. Initially I blamed it on improper drying (I didn't check the moisture content) but some sections of the board reacted this way & others didn't. For example, one of the twisty boards on the saw was ripped from one of the aprons on the table that behaved just fine. I also had problems w/checking on the panel, you can see where I tried to fix it w/epoxy. Is this common w/bubinga or figured wood?

Charlie Plesums
09-12-2006, 10:10 PM
Some boards have internal stresses - sometimes they split apart when sawn, sometimes they squeeze together, or go off in wonderous new directions. For something like your aprons, you need a new piece. If the stressed piece can be cut and planed small enough to release all the stresses, ok, but I probably wouldn't use it for a prime furniture piece.

This may be because the tree grew on a slope, branch wood was used, or myriad other problems... I just accept that a couple percent of the wood will give problems like you found, and move on.

Jim Dunn
09-12-2006, 10:57 PM
You sir are a consumate lier!! Nobody but nobody does that grade of work as a newbie:) Nice workmanship.

Bernie Weishapl
09-12-2006, 11:01 PM
Welcome Dave that is a beautiful looking table.

John Fry
09-12-2006, 11:08 PM
Art & John: I had a lot of problems with wood movement. The last picture is of stock that had been milled square and flat. I milled a bit oversize & got this after a couple of days :(. The thin piece warped & twisted immediately as it was being ripped (pretty scary). I have no idea why. Initially I blamed it on improper drying (I didn't check the moisture content) but some sections of the board reacted this way & others didn't. For example, one of the twisty boards on the saw was ripped from one of the aprons on the table that behaved just fine. I also had problems w/checking on the panel, you can see where I tried to fix it w/epoxy. Is this common w/bubinga or figured wood?

It is called reaction wood. And as Charlie says, it is caused by internal stresses that get relieved when cut, there are many reasons for its cause. I mention it because a friend of mine has recently had problems with bubinga too. But NOT THAT BAD!!

Chris Padilla
09-12-2006, 11:37 PM
Good job, Dave! Heckuva start on SawMill Creek! Welcome...we hope you contribute more...you have a flair for the ww'ing stuff! :)

BTW, fill out where you're from! :D

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
09-13-2006, 4:47 AM
Welcome Dave, Photo Bucket is down for me right now, I'll take a look later, but is sounds nice!

Cheers!

tod evans
09-13-2006, 6:11 AM
welcome dave!

Bob Childress
09-13-2006, 6:57 AM
Welcome to the Creek, Dave. Very nice work!:)