PDA

View Full Version : Any good plumbers on the forum? Got a hot water tank question.

Bob Weisner
09-12-2006, 6:35 PM
Hi:

This question is for any good plumbers on the forum.

1. I got an old gas fired hot water tank in the basement and I would like to drain it to get rid of any sediment build up that it might have. Here is the the problem:

A. It is one of those old State Glass Lined hot water tanks and is about 40 years old.

2. It has a drain thing on the bottom side of the tank, but when I tried to turn it, it did not want to turn.

3. How much build up could there be in the tank? I have VERY!!! hard well water.

Thanks,

Larry James
09-12-2006, 8:44 PM
Hi:

This question is for any good plumbers on the forum.

1. I got an old gas fired hot water tank in the basement and I would like to drain it to get rid of any sediment build up that it might have. Here is the the problem:

A. It is one of those old State Glass Lined hot water tanks and is about 40 years old.

2. It has a drain thing on the bottom side of the tank, but when I tried to turn it, it did not want to turn.

3. How much build up could there be in the tank? I have VERY!!! hard well water.

Thanks,

Bob, I think you answered your own questions? You are living on borrowed time - times 3.

Larry

(Formerly a State of Michigan Licensed Mechanical Contractor and Commercial Boiler Installer. Retired after 20 years teaching HVAC, but never a plumber. However, my dad was.)

Tyler Howell
09-12-2006, 8:53 PM
What he said.
Doesn't take a good plumber either.
I've seen as much as a foot of sediment on a ten year old HWH. They say drain a gallon once a month to keep it clear.
The valve will probably break and then you'll have to start over.
Be proactive.
Git-R-Done!!!! :cool:

Frank Chaffee
09-12-2006, 10:02 PM
Bob,
You will need to replace that hot water heater soon, but while you will be able to easily move your new one down the stairs on an appliance dolly, you may well need some help getting the old one out, as the mineral deposits will likely weigh a couple hundred pounds alone.

DAMHIKT,
Frank

Randy Meijer
09-12-2006, 10:06 PM
Old water heaters have a nasty habit of starting to leak if you fool around with them too much. If it is not giving you a problem, I'd just leave it alone. If it is giving you the symptoms of being sediment bound, go ahead and try to drain it; but be prepared for it to fail totally in a short time and need to be replaced.

If the drain valve won't open, you may have to put a big wrench on it and remove it for a new one.

Al Willits
09-12-2006, 10:56 PM
Like Tyler says, it needs to be drained every month or so, and only about a gallon at each time, your not gonna get enough scale out now to make it worth it.
Plus if the drain snaps off, replacing it may get troublesome, leave it, to late to worry about it now.

There's a reason residential water heaters don't have much more than a 12 year warranty on the tanks.
If you have hard water and a 40 year old tank, its time for a replacement, you've got your monies worth.

Al

Frank Chaffee
09-12-2006, 10:59 PM
If it is not giving you a problem, I'd just leave it alone.
Randy,
I agree, but…
Given that the water is hard and that the very old tank has not been maintained by regular draining I suggest that it contains a heavy amount of sediment build up that significantly reduces transfer of heat from the gas flame. Aside from the effects this has on operating cost and comfort (the volume of water in the tank is less due to the sediment), I wonder if higher vent stack temperatures also result, possibly increasing fire hazard.

Probably not something you need to slate for this weekend Bob, or even this month, but I would surely replace it before fiddling with it, as that could very well turn into a “must do now” situation.

Frank

Joe Mioux
09-12-2006, 11:04 PM
Buy a new one, before this one causes you some big problems.

Forty years is old enough don't mess with that drain you will probably regret the leak.

Joe

Bob Weisner
09-12-2006, 11:13 PM
When I do replace the hot water tank, I can get from the local hardware store a Reliance or a Maytag Gas hot water tank. I know about the Reliance brand, but don't know anything about the Maytag hot water tanks. How are they?

Thanks,

Frank Hagan
09-13-2006, 12:10 AM
There's been a lot of consolidation in the tank type water heater business, and I think there are only three major players left in the US, Rheem (Rheem, Ruud, Richmond and GE water heaters), AO Smith (purchased State last year, also makes Reliance, Kenmore, Censible), and Bradford-White (in the interest of full disclosure, I work for a boiler manufacturer owned by Bradford-White). American Water Heater company was purchased by AO Smith or State, I think. Maybe not.

Home Depot sells the Rheem (under the GE brand, I believe), and Lowes sells the AOSmith/State under "Reliance" (I think ... might be an American model). Bradford-White is only available through a plumber or contractor.

Get one that has a water path that discourages lime buildup (they all have some method to do this). As to the best brand, you'll get a devotees of all three major manufacturers. I, being a fan of keeping my job, like Bradford-White, but as always, the consumer makes the decision!

If you have very hard water, a tank-type hot water heater is probably the best choice; the more efficient tankless style hot water heaters can clog up faster and require more maintenance (deliming flat plate heat exchangers periodically, etc.) Check the manufacturer's specs for any tankless design you are considering, and ask specifically if they cover damage due to hard water.

Al Willits
09-13-2006, 8:25 AM
Also, if you can find one of the older non explosive proof water heaters I'd go that route, after all the trouble we see with the newer style, I picked a older (last years model) up and have it stuck aside for when mine dies.

May or may not be code in your area though, personally I don't care as I'll be installing it myself.

Al

Frank Fusco
09-13-2006, 10:47 AM
FORTY years old? :eek: Man, you have been really lucky for about thirty of those years. Replace yesterday before you have a flood. Replacement suggestion is the Marathon. I don't know if they come in gas but the electric versions are super efficient. We got ours from our local electric company when our two year old GE failed and leaked. Still under warranty. Rotsaruck getting warranty to be honored by Generous Evasion company. They simply would not do anything despite my having the written warranty. Court was only alternative, not worth the trouble and they know it. I got the Marathon on a lease basis, $11.00 per month and they service/warranty forever.