PDA

View Full Version : controlling unwanted animals

Luis Oliveira
09-12-2006, 12:24 PM
Hi all,

I would like to know what do you all do to control unwanted animals in your shop, especially on garage shops, with all this wood, shavings, dust, and so much tools and misc accessories etc.
How do you control rats, snakes, ants, spiders, terminates etc.

What products are you using to make sure these animals stay away

Luis

Matt Warfield
09-12-2006, 12:36 PM
Mouse traps for me. They loved the garage during the year it sat vacant. Caught 7 mice the first night I put out traps. Not much of a problem last year but that may be because the neighbors have a large assortment of cats that prowl the neighborhood. Not much ticks me off as much as a mouse nest falling on me as I'm pulling a board out of the rafters.

Rock gardens around the perimeter of the house help in our area. The mice and snakes prefer to stay in the grassy areas. Keep the junk piles away from structures as well.

Lee Schierer
09-12-2006, 12:52 PM
My shop is located above a basement garage, so I set traps for the mice in teh garage. Baited with peanut butter, I usually get 3-4 per year once the weather turns cold. With our long winters, we don't have snake (none of the snakes in our area are poisonous) or termite issues and so far the carpenter ants haven't found my shop. Screens in the windows seem to keep the flys out so the spiders don't have much to eat if they do find a way in.

Joe Pelonio
09-12-2006, 2:14 PM
Here at the shop in a business park I've never had any kind of creatures.

At home though, with the bird feeder and lots of ivy and juniper we get small rats or large field mice, don't know which they actually are. The dogs
will sometimes catch one, but because of them I can't use poison, so I put an old fashioned rat trap under the deck baited with peanut butter. It's a little big for them so sometimes they will escape, but I probably caught 6 this summer.

Then there's the annoying squirrels. :mad: Something has killed two on my side yard, I suspect the coyotes. I'd like to plunk them with a .22 but you cannot shoot within the city limits. Those darned things have taken most of my apples and all of my pears right off the trees before they were ripe,
plus they like to dig up the moss on my bonsais. The dogs will chase them but once they get on a tree or fence they sit there and taunt the dogs.

Joe Mioux
09-12-2006, 2:33 PM
A cat, some miticide and insecticide.

If you don't like the cat idea, then use Ropel for mice, rats, squirrels etc and Dr T's Snake-A-Way. This repels poisonous and non-poisonous snakes. Proven effective in the Gulf War If you buy this stuff, just make sure you have no snakes inside the sprayed perimeter or you will be living with them for sometime.

Harvey M. Taylor
09-12-2006, 3:44 PM
If you have cats or dogs, this wont work. DBuring the Viet Nam war, soldiers were not allowed to have rat poison to deal with the rats, and they were overrunning the camps. A friend of mine suggested they get some cement for a small project. Then he went to the galley and got some sugar. Mixed the two half and half and put it in an obscure place. The rats came and ate--- well, you know the rest of the story. Myself, I put out Decon, which dehydrates them and they go away searching for water and never come back. Max

Joe Pelonio
09-12-2006, 5:01 PM
Myself, I put out Decon, which dehydrates them and they go away searching for water and never come back. Max
That doesn't work here, because except for August there's always plenty of water close by.

Steve Clardy
09-12-2006, 8:30 PM
Ah. Hillbilly style is-----

Shotgun
Axe
Big feet with heavy boots
A mean Wife bigger than you are
4x4 Truck to run em over
2300 cats:eek:

:) :) :)

Chip Charnley
09-13-2006, 10:07 AM
Ah. Hillbilly style is-----

Shotgun
Axe
Big feet with heavy boots
A mean Wife bigger than you are
4x4 Truck to run em over
2300 cats:eek:

:) :) :)

With 2300 cats, you better pray for a continual mouse invasion :eek: or they will eat you out of house and home (the cats that is!) :rolleyes: :D

Frank Fusco
09-13-2006, 10:55 AM
As much as I hate cats, my wife has two. One is an indoors nusiance, the other an outdoor pest controller. I don't get many critters in the shop except for the occasional lost box turtle. I do keep a chunk of red cedar in some slip on shoes I keep handy. Wouldn't want to discover a brown recluse spider with my toes.

Luis Oliveira
09-13-2006, 5:05 PM
Lee, "Baited with peanut butter" is Baited a product or something like chees or ...

sorry don't much about catching rats...

Luis

Joe Pelonio
09-13-2006, 5:09 PM
Luis,

You use peanut butter in the trap to attract them they love it. Also they lick it off so are more likely to spring the trap than with cheese or something else that they could remove without getting caught.
My most successful bait is a piece of walnut meat, with peanut
butter all around in on the little tab. Just don't let you wife catch you using her good silverware to apply the peanut butter.:eek:

Luis Oliveira
09-13-2006, 5:20 PM
Thanks I will try this tonight.

Luis