PDA

View Full Version : Gatlinburg, TN

John Branam
09-12-2006, 12:17 PM
My wife and I are taking a little trip to Gatlinburg next week. We have been there many times but I have never really made a poit to look for woodworking related interest but I am going to do that this year, anyone have any suggestions of places to go?

Scott Loven
09-12-2006, 12:46 PM
A few places to check out
http://www.lonniebird.com/
http://www.arrowmont.org/

John Branam
09-12-2006, 3:10 PM
Thanks for the links.

Kirk (KC) Constable
09-12-2006, 3:13 PM
Is Lexington KY on the way? After our trip north a couple weeks ago, we decided well go back next spring and spend a weekend in the Lexington area. Lots of stuff to see there...

John Branam
09-12-2006, 4:17 PM
I actually drive thru lexington, where I live is part of the Cincinnati metro area. I am really thinking of stopping in Berea, KY on the way back home.

Scott Loven
09-12-2006, 4:32 PM
a few more
http://www.kellymehler.com/newsite/aboutberea.htm
http://brianboggschairs.com/

Thomas Canfield
09-12-2006, 10:44 PM
I made a trip to that area back in the spring. I'm sure you will see the Workshop Tools, Inc stores in Sevierville and also down in Pigeon Forge. The Sievierville store seemed to have a larger selection of power tools, but all were interesting.

Jeffrey's Wood Works, Inc in the South part of Knoxville is also an interesting place to visit and look at all the different types of wood available in both lumber and turning material. It is hard to walk out without picking up some wood even when traveling by car. Call ahead to be sure of the hours and get help with driving instructions, but it is definitely worth a visit.

Jim Bell
09-13-2006, 12:03 AM
I stop at Arrowmont as often as possible. Was there 3 wks ago. It is on 441 on the east side of the road downtown. Just the library is worth the stop. They are great folks and there is so much to see.
Jim

Frank Fusco
09-13-2006, 11:09 AM
I actually drive thru lexington, where I live is part of the Cincinnati metro area. I am really thinking of stopping in Berea, KY on the way back home.

Sunman, Indiana? Tiny town (spot really) big world made small by the intenet. We used to live in Batesville. Know the area well. Do you know Dick Danzey? We lost touch, he and his wife lived there many years. Lotsa woodworking craftmens and artisans right around you.

John Branam
09-13-2006, 1:26 PM
Sunman, Indiana? Tiny town (spot really) big world made small by the intenet. We used to live in Batesville. Know the area well. Do you know Dick Danzey? We lost touch, he and his wife lived there many years. Lotsa woodworking craftmens and artisans right around you.

I do not know him. We just moved to Sunman (actually we live in Lawrenceville between St Leon and Sunman but have a Sunman mailing address) from the westside of cincy in January. I just made a visit last weekend to Wilhelm Lumber what a great source of hard woods just 4 miles from home. I like going to Batesville we take our dog to Liberty park for walks all the time.

Frank Fusco
09-13-2006, 4:42 PM
I do not know him. We just moved to Sunman (actually we live in Lawrenceville between St Leon and Sunman but have a Sunman mailing address) from the westside of cincy in January. I just made a visit last weekend to Wilhelm Lumber what a great source of hard woods just 4 miles from home. I like going to Batesville we take our dog to Liberty park for walks all the time.

It's been 30+ years since we lived there. In Batesville is a small business (I forget the name) that makes master carvings for furniture manufacturers who make resin castings from the masters. If you can get to know one of the master-master carvers, you will learn a lot quick about carving. The guys I knew had one characteristic in common, they talked real slow and were slow in responding. A personality thing (in my laymen's opinion) that had to do with extreme patience required to do their type of beautiful, precision carving. They can't be in a hurry to do what they do.
How did you find Sunman? Are the welcome and goodbye signs still on the same post. :p ;)

John Branam
09-13-2006, 4:50 PM
It's been 30+ years since we lived there. In Batesville is a small business (I forget the name) that makes master carvings for furniture manufacturers who make resin castings from the masters. If you can get to know one of the master-master carvers, you will learn a lot quick about carving. The guys I knew had one characteristic in common, they talked real slow and were slow in responding. A personality thing (in my laymen's opinion) that had to do with extreme patience required to do their type of beautiful, precision carving. They can't be in a hurry to do what they do.
How did you find Sunman? Are the welcome and goodbye signs still on the same post. :p ;)

The carvers you are talking about are still around, there shop is right across the street from Batesville Casket, I am gooing to stop in there sometime. We found Sunman by pure accident!, love it though nice and quiet out in the country.

Perry Holbrook
09-13-2006, 5:20 PM
If you get by Arrowmont, be sure to stop and the craft gallery at the entrance called Arrowcraft. It is run by our guild, the Southern Highland Craft Guild and has a wide range of hand made crafts in all media.

Perry

Keel McDonald
09-14-2006, 7:27 AM
You should really check out the Museum of Appalachia (http://www.museumofappalachia.com/). It's within 30-45 minutes from Gatlinburg. It's a really neat place because it shows what life was like before power tools, not to mention the collection of old tools, saws, etc. It's located in Norris, TN.

Ed Frie
09-15-2006, 8:31 AM
If you want to look at some really cool wood, there is a walk you can take to a virgin forest not that far from town. It is truly a religious experience to see maple trees so big (and straight up with no branches until the forest canopy) that you cannot reach around them with four people. If I remember correctly you follow a walk (with a well established trail) up to a water falls, then walk over the falls (you are above this small water fall) and continue on after most people turn around, onto a small trail that leads into the woods. I am sorry I don't remember more about how to get there, but the locals should be able to direct you there. A lot of people go to falls.
Honestly, we thought it was the highlight of our trip there.:)