PDA

View Full Version : Another red cedar thingee **PIC**

Ken Salisbury
10-10-2003, 1:48 PM
I was throwing some scrap on the burn pile this morning and retrieved a small piece left over from the cedar bowl I posted last week. Ran in and made this bracelet helper.

Man, that stuff turns and finishes beautiful. I think there will be some pens and other small items made from red cedar in the future. It is nice since I have an unlimited free supply of red cedar :D.

Steven Mendes
10-10-2003, 1:52 PM
I was throwing some scrap on the burn pile this morning and retrieved a small piece left over from the cedar bowl I posted last week. Ran in and made this bracelet helper.

Man, that stuff turns and finishes beautiful. I think there will be some pens and other small items made from red cedar in the future. It is nice since I have an unlimited free supply of red cedar :D.
no offense, but that is the nicest roach clip I have ever seen.
Steve

Scott Greaves
10-10-2003, 3:23 PM
Ha, ha, ha!!! :D

I have to admit I was thinking the same thing!

Hey Ken, is there a kit you used to make that, or did you just make it up from an alligator clip and some jewelry type parts?

Very Nice!

Scott.

Doug Littlejohn
10-10-2003, 4:08 PM
No hiding it, as soon as I saw that picture, roach clip jumped first thing into my head.

Shessh, guess we're dating ourselves here.

Awful pretty though.

Ken - Just what is a 'braclet helper'? Inquiring minds want to know.

Keith Outten
10-10-2003, 4:19 PM
Ken,

You could've made a fortune in the sixty's makin these bracelet helpers :)

Man I can see it now...Ken in a tie-dyed T-Shirt with hair way down his back selling bracelet helpers at craft shows from the "Young Rebel Workshop"
LMAO

Mac McAtee
10-10-2003, 4:23 PM
Talk about flash back. I saw that thing and had a sudden urge to take a deep breath and hold it and my eyes started watering! (;-}

Ted Shrader
10-10-2003, 4:24 PM
Ken,

Man I can see it now...Ken in a tie-dyed T-Shirt with hair way down his back selling bracelet helpers at craft shows from the "Young Rebel Workshop"
LMAO

Stop it. You are killing me . . . :D :D :D :D :D . . . . . Ken, in a tie dyed T-shirt - long hair . . . .

Ted

Howard Barlow
10-10-2003, 4:30 PM
As a friend and deputy let me say, politely, don't let a cop in Texas see you with that. No whut ah mean?

Noah Alkinburgh
10-10-2003, 4:42 PM
Ken,

LMAO

Young Rebel Workshop nothing...that would have been Middle Age Rebelious Workshop in the 60's at best :D more like Almost a Sr. Citizen and Still a Rebel Workshop but not quite Old yet.

Noah

Tom Sweeney
10-10-2003, 4:54 PM
Thanks Ken & the rest of you hoodlums. I've had a tough day & I needed a lift. Good thing everyone else has left work. I'm laughing hysterically as I'm typing this. :D

Not that I know what a roach clip is mind you - it just sounds funny :rolleyes: ;)

Kevin Gerstenecker
10-10-2003, 6:32 PM
Ya know, if we could put about 100 pounds on Ken...............he would look just like Jerry Garcia! I can see it now in Neon...........
The Old Rebel Woodstock Workshop

Brad Schafer
10-10-2003, 8:17 PM
Ya know, if we could put about 100 pounds on Ken...............he would look just like Jerry Garcia! I can see it now in Neon...........
The Old Rebel Woodstock Workshop

now THERE'S a visual ... you can borrow my geetar, kennie. :D :D :D

b

Mike Cutler
10-10-2003, 9:25 PM
Ah Ha!! The guys I grew up with must have had a lot of "bracelets" they needed "help" with. If you ever export these to Vermont you could be the next state icon after Ben & Jerry. All kidding aside, very nice work, as usual

Rob Glynn
10-11-2003, 2:56 AM
OK already.
What is a roach clip? Why do cockroaches need clips? What do they do with them?
I guess if alligators have clips then roachs can have them, but why? What do alligators do with their clips?
Help a foreigner out.

Craig Honeysett
10-11-2003, 6:32 AM
I will have to admit I had never even thought of turning red cedar, but I have a bunch of scraps from a wishing well scroll saw project so once I stop LOL I may have to dig out the pen mandrell.

For those of you wondering about the use of a Roach clip, it is actually a medical device. It is used by those smoking marijuana for the treatment of glaucoma so as to maximize the theraputic qualities right down to the last toke, err treatment.

Mac McAtee
10-11-2003, 8:45 AM
Rob,
From the tone of your post I take it that you are serious and don't understand what is going on here.

Mind you now, I and I am sure all the other posters on this thread are talking hypothetical. None - none, I am QUITE sure have no real experience in this area.

In US and I am sure other parts of the world in the not too distant past folks use marijuana (pot, ganja, Mary Jane, weed) for recreational purposes. The most common way to use it was to buy a pack of Zig Zag cigarette papers and "roll a joint". A joint being a cigarette who's contents were marijuana. Marijuana being somewhat expensive a person didn't want to see the weed go to waste.

You lit the joint and held it between your fingers as it was consumed (again hypothetical, no personal knowledge here). When it burned down to the point that your fingers were getting very hot there was still a good deal of pot left in the cigarette. People dealt with this issue in several ways. One was to put out the fire on the end of the remaining piece and put it in a receptacle. You did this with several joints until you had acquired a small stash of "roaches". I'm sure you have the insects in Western Australia. The pile of partially burnt joints look like a pile of little insects, hence the remaining end of a joint became known as a "Roach". A person then unrolled all of the Roaches and took the weed that was unburned and rolled a new joint from the remains. This joint tended to be a little more potent than the other ones since the contents had had all that other smoke pass through it when it was burned. Kind of like an air cleaner in your wood shop, the filter catches a lot of "stuff". When that last joint was consumed you still had the problem of about 1/4th of the joint burning the crap out of your fingers. So solutions to the problem were found. There wasn't enough to roll a new joint with, so you found something to hold the dang thing so it could be burnt down some more. From that came the Roach Clip. I have heard tell of a person taking a common office paper clip and using it for a roach clip. You would find folks who were more involved in the sport coming up with more elegant solutions to the problem and what you see here, while not intended for that, looks like one of those solutions.

Ken Salisbury
10-11-2003, 9:46 AM
Hey Ken, is there a kit you used to make that, or did you just make it up from an alligator clip and some jewelry type parts?

I bought the parts in kit form from Berea Hardwoods. I believe (but not sure) Packard has these kits also.

Ken - Just what is a 'braclet helper'? Inquiring minds want to know.

It is something a lady can hold in her hand with one end of a bracelet held in the clip and she then is able to use the other hand to grip the opposite end of the bracelet so she can hook it together without help.

Terry Hatfield
10-12-2003, 12:50 PM
Steve,

YOU OWE ME A KEYBOARD. :D :D :D :D

I spewed coffee all over this one after reading your response, but have to admit, if I had been a turner about 20 years ago I could have made a fortune. ;)

Trying to unstick the keys,

Terry