PDA

View Full Version : Are you selling Laser Buzz Wall Tributes?

Ed Lang
09-12-2006, 11:36 AM
IF you are currently or have in the past sold the Laser Buzz Wall Tributes, would you mind either PM'ing me, emailing me or posting here how well they do/did?

I am getting ready for my first three day show this Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Last year there were a little over 30,000 folks that attended the show. I have no idea how many of which Wall Tribute to take, make or expect to sell. Also, if you would, what price were you selling them for and what part of the country was this in.

So far I have found that they are selling good for me at Farmers Markets, but in the $15 to $20 each range. I am located in Central Virginia.

I have not sold many of the picture frames but the dog ornaments go like hotcakes at $3 each or $5 with your dogs name on it.

I have not made the first clock yet so I cannot comment on them yet.

After I get the booth setup, I will take a few pictures and post so you can give me suggestions, if you like, no how I can make it better for next time.

Thanks folks
Ed

Mitchell Andrus
09-12-2006, 11:43 AM
Perhaps you could make a "show and sell" book of Wall Tributes, photo album.... I think most people will understand that you couldn't possibly carry a few of each design to a show. You could display a few real models, and take orders based on the photos of the other designs.

Mitch

Gary Shoemake
09-12-2006, 1:21 PM
I just bought Military and Organizations and Tom included a CD of his products for a catalog or web site use. Real handy, I have a show this weekend and another two in Oct. and will use one to show things along with some real live ones. I'll let you know how it goes.

Bob Reda
09-12-2006, 8:06 PM
I know that it says it is for laser engraving. But I was wondering if they could be V-carved with a shopbot. Anyone have any ideas?

Bob

Shaddy Dedmore
09-12-2006, 8:45 PM
Maybe a v-carve would work if blown up, but I think they are too small for that, detail would overlap.

But maybe if you emailed/called Buzz with your inquiry, he'd send you a sample to try (or buy the cheaper CD with an assortment of product)

Shaddy

Bob Reda
09-13-2006, 6:44 AM
Thanks Shaddy, I'll give that a try.

Bob

Ed Lang
09-16-2006, 9:42 PM
A little update.

Today was the second day of the three day show I am at. I am selling the Wall Tributes and dog ornaments at a great pace. Today was the best sales day I have ever had since starting to make anything with the laser.

I have a pile of special orders to keep me busy this next week for sure!

So here I am at 9:25 at night, tired and wanting to go to bed but the laser keeps beeping and telling me I need to start the next job. Another two hours of cutting and I'll be ready for the finishing step, then off to bed.

These things are great and I hope others are having the good like just like I am.

Ed

Gary Shoemake
09-16-2006, 9:49 PM
Great news on your sales. We unfortunatly were rained out and tomorrow looks like it just won't happen either. The sportmans club is a very muddy place.

Ed Lang
09-18-2006, 8:56 AM
Gary,

That is not good. We got rain on Saturday AM before I got there at 7:30 but all was dry inside the EZUP but three doll house kits. They got wet and not able to be sold. Sales were brisk on Sunday after 12:00 and continued until close at 6:00PM.

I was very pleased with everything this weekend. Now I start to cut special orders and build my stock levels back up. I do not want to spend till 2:30 AM again making product to sell later that day....

Ed

William Capman
09-19-2006, 11:29 AM
Ed,

I will be back doing crafts shows in the next month or so and I am very interested in how you are displaying and packaging your doll house kits. Are you bringing a full size doll house to the shows and if so how ?? Also how many of each product did you bring and did you take any booth pictures?

Inquiring minds what to know…..

Thanks

Bill

Ed Lang
09-19-2006, 7:07 PM
Hi Bill,

I did take a full size Doll House to display. I glued the joints so it will travel fine. I also took three kits. I lost the kits due to a leak in the EZup tent so I did not get to sell any. Lots of interest and folks took my card and said that closer to Christmas they would be buying...... So, you never know.

No booth pictures, I started to take the camera but was so busy Saturday night making product to sell on Sunday that the camera was just too much trouble.

I will post a picture of the booth just as soon as I get one.

William Capman
09-20-2006, 9:32 AM
Ed,

Would you mind sharing what you are charging for the kits and how you're packaging them? I am currently gluing up one for the local craft store, and we’re thinking of pricing it at $95.00 as is (glued up). The kits would be around $75.00. Do you pre-assembly any of the parts in the kit to reduce the number of pieces, such as the window frames etc. The folks at the craft store think there are too many pieces and pre-assembling a few would make it a little less daunting. I don’t know that I agree but would like to know if you had any comments on assembling the kit etc. I am also working on step by step assembly instruction sheets, which is taking a little time, but I hope will be helpful and make it easy to assemble.

I have not decided if I want to display a set up house at my craft shows, although I know I should. Most of my shows are some distance and I’m unsure of how it will travel and how to secure it properly in my trailer. I have been thinking of gluing the first and second floors and modifying the third floor slightly so that it can assembly quickly at the show. It would make a lower profile and should be easier to pack for ravel. Any suggestion???

Thanks for the info

Bill
West Boylston, MA

Bill Stein
09-21-2006, 9:13 AM
Ed,

Now you are in a position to answer your original question for the rest of us. What would you recommend as far as the mix and quantity of wall tributes? What about desk tributes?

Bill

Ed Lang
09-21-2006, 9:25 AM
Hi Bill,

Wall Tributes sell better for me than picture frames. I did take special orders for 8 picture frames this weekend.

Military Wall Tributes and Dog ornaments are the top sellers in all markets I have shown in.

I went with 10 of each military wall tribute and three of the ones that had things like "retired" on them. Most wanted the generic "United States Army" for example. Marines is the top seller.

Lighthouses did not sell this past weekend, but have sold great at all other shows.

Remember this past show was a steam and gas pasture party and tractor pull event.

I only had one motorcycle wall tribute..... Next time I will have a bunch of those!

I don't know how long the wall tributes will continue to sell before they become non sellers but they take up most of my booth space at this time.

Bill Stein
09-21-2006, 1:33 PM
Thanks for the feedback Ed. I have the M&O 3D and Dogs 1D and have some shows coming up. I figured that the Army, Navy, Marine, Air Force, and Firefighters would be the main sellers for the wall tributes with Coast Guard and Merchant Marine contributing a little bit. I guess that you kind of confirmed that.

I'm surprised that the frames did so well. Were they military or dogs. And did you show/sell any desktop tributes of any kind?

By the way, my Costco has a hard plastic photo organized that turns out to be perfect for carrying about 300 dog ornaments.

Bill

Ed Lang
09-21-2006, 1:56 PM
I'm surprised that the frames did so well. Were they military or dogs. And did you show/sell any desktop tributes of any kind?
I had only one dog frame displayed. The ones I sold were, one dog and a few motorcycle ones with the rest being the deer standing under a tree.

By the way, my Costco has a hard plastic photo organized that turns out to be perfect for carrying about 300 dog ornaments.

Got a picture or some way I can find one? I do not have Costco local, but Sams club. Maybe a mfgr part number and name would get it.

I made laser cut box joints on wooden boxes for my ornaments and folks like the look as well. I try to keep my booth theme wood and keep plastic out of sight. I even have wooden dividers and engraved the breed on them for easy access.

Dave Jones
09-21-2006, 3:02 PM
I'm curious how large you made the tributes and what you sold them for?

Also, what was the demand for personalized vs plain?

Bill Stein
09-21-2006, 6:51 PM
Sorry Ed,

There is no identifcation on the box -- not even the word "China". It is a plastic box about 14" x 13" and 6" deep with a divider running down the middel, a latching, hinged lid and a handle. It is designed for scrapbookers to carry their 4 x 6 photos to cropping parties so you can probably find something similar at Michaels, or a scrapbook store.

Bill

Shaddy Dedmore
09-21-2006, 8:47 PM
Should be able to modify the shadow box I posted to make your own box, then either clamp on a lid, or maybe use a saw and slots for a slide in lid (clear acrylic so you can see?). On a slide in lid you can use a stud/dowel/screw to keep it from sliding open.

Shaddy

Ed Lang
09-23-2006, 7:37 PM
update from the farmers market today.

Not many folks came to buy as the produce is all but gone.

Out of the few customers who came, wall tributes and dog ornaments sold. Ornaments for $5 each and wall tributes for $25. I heard comments like that is a great price. One said she thought it was too little. I offered her the chance to pay more but she declined my offer and paid $25.

Craft show next Saturday so I'll be busy making product this week.