PDA

View Full Version : Making it look old

Mike Jones NM
09-12-2006, 10:47 AM
Have a problem on a "remodel"
The floor in this old building appears to be tongue and groove southern yellow pine, most likely over 50 years old.
Got a large section that has been eaten out by bugs and need to replace it but need it to match the old stuff.
So, how do I have the new stuff look old, dark etc?
Thanks for any thoughts.

Jim DeLaney
09-12-2006, 3:48 PM
Trial and error mixing of stain may be your way out.

Another possibility would be garnet shellac, or a mix of garnet shellac and orange shellac.

Stripping, sanding, staining and completely refinishing as a very last resort, but sometimes it's the only way...

Mike Jones NM
09-12-2006, 9:43 PM
Jim, appreciate the reply. I guess I'm going to have to play with the mixing of different stains. The stripping and sanding the old to match the new is not an option in this case.
I have to replace about 2000 square feet of flooring leaving about 2500 sg ft of the old stuff. One of the reasons for the remodel instead of just building a new house is these folks really like the old floor and the tongue and groove ceiling. Would be ALOT cheaper to just start new, even salvaging the stuff they like and putting it into a new house would be cheaper in the long run but we will do it like they want it.
Thanks again
Mike