PDA

View Full Version : Old Ads - Where is the website address?

Larry Fox
09-12-2006, 10:29 AM
I was reading through an issue of FWW last night and ran across a few interesting ads. However, not even one had their website listed at the botom in the typical spot. I found this very frustrating and more than a little strange - that is until I remebered that the issue I was looking at was from 1981. Man, the availability of information that we take for granted these days. Imagine actually having to call a manufacturer and have them mail - not email, but mail - you a brochure.

Bob Childress
09-12-2006, 11:14 AM
How quickly we forget.:D I ran an ad agency for a number of years and watched as the WWW slowly but steadily replaced the "bingo cards". Finally, many trade magazines just started getting smaller and smaller as ad buys dwindled and the internet took over. Consumer mags held up some better but it was a bitter pill for the trades.

Now, if a company doesn't have a web site (if there are any like that) you probably wouldn't do business with them.

Larry James
09-12-2006, 5:25 PM
Kinda related topic - The Internet Archive is building a digital library of Internet sites @ http://www.archive.org . Type in the URL for a web site that is no longer available and they may have an archived copy. I found my old web site and others that had info I needed, including Badger Pond.

Larry