PDA

View Full Version : Notebook computer case recommendations.

Greg Ladd
09-12-2006, 7:04 AM
Hello everyone,

My oldest son is starting college and I would like some suggestions as to which notebook computer case to buy.

Many of the ones I have looked at seem somewhat cheaply made. With the price of his computer being somewhat staggering to me, I would like to get him one that will give excellent durability and protection.

TIA,
Greg

Glenn Clabo
09-12-2006, 7:13 AM
Sony...Here's why...
For many years all I bought at home (3) and at the office (25) were Dell's. A couple of years ago we started having problems with Dell and the support they claim to provide. In my work you can't have people on the road with the primary line of comunication broke and unable to fix a problem. So we switched...both at home and at work to Sony Lap Tops...and have had VERY few problems AND when we do have problems we actually talk to VERY well informed...well spoken technical support people. I'm sold on Sony. Just bought one for my son in Korea.

Joe Pelonio
09-12-2006, 8:28 AM
I realize it's too late now but when my oldest went off to college they recommended desktops, because laptops in dorms had a way of walking off. This was at U of San Diego, a Catholic college. Since he has a laptop already look for a hard case and make sure he has a cable lock. They also make alarms for them. Have the laptop and the case engraved so if it does get swiped it may eventually find it's way back. These companies have software that allow the laptop's location to be indentified if stolen.

CompuTrace (http://www.computrace.com/) SecureIT (http://www.secure-it.com/) Stealth Signal (http://www.stealthsignal.com/) ZTrace (http://www.ztrace.com/)

Jim DeLaney
09-12-2006, 8:30 AM
I have one made by Targus. I've had it for about ten years, and have gone thru several laptops in that time. The Targus case is rugged, and well padded. It does a good job of protecting the computer from bumps and dings.

I got mine at Micro Center, but I'm sure Staples, Office Depot, etc. will have them, too.

Charlie Velasquez
09-12-2006, 8:32 AM
I would like to get him one that will give excellent durability and protection.

TIA,
Greg

I would suggest a comfortable backpack made for laptops. If you make it too "durable and protective" it would be too heavy, stiff, something for him to use. He will also be packing a couple of books, paper, ipod, ...

Try ebags.com, then compare at amazon & buy.com

Art Mulder
09-12-2006, 8:48 AM
Sony...Here's why...
I think the question was about a computer bag/backpack, but I'm not 100%.

But I will echo Glenn's recommendation against Dell. The techs here at my work aven't been that impressed with them either.

We really like the looks of the LG laptops. Yes, they do cost a bit more than Dell, but the construction looks very nice, and they come with a three year warranty.

(aside: Oops. i was going to provide the link to lge http://www.lge.com/, and while looking it up so I made the very odd discovery that while LG Canada http://ca.lge.com/ has a complete line of very good notebook computers, the LG USA website http://us.lge.com/ does not list computer systems at all, just peripherals. Interesting. Well, that is one time when Canada has the advantage! :cool: )

That was assuming that you want a PC laptop. Personally, I'll recommend a Mac every time: No viruses, No Spyware, and things (generally) just work.

Ian Barley
09-12-2006, 9:05 AM
My only advice - get one that doesn't look like a laptop case. The machine is far more likely to get degraded by being stolen by a toerag than by being dropped or knocked around. A bag that doesn't scream "I am a laptop" might just protect its contents from this.

Bob Childress
09-12-2006, 11:22 AM
If absolute protection is what you want, and price is no object, look at Zero Halliburton. They are virtually indestructable.:)

Frank Fusco
09-12-2006, 11:34 AM
The best cases for laptop computers are big, heavy and clunky. Might as well have him carry a desktop computer around campus. :eek: When my daughter went off to college we were advised the same thing, laptops vanish. I am a Dell fan, have had excellent use and service from them, even when speaking to a tech support person with thick accent. At her college Gateway had a store, student discounts and two on-campus support techs. The decision was a no-brainer. Look for what is being sold on campus and consider the special pricing they offer. Apple/Mac is on all campuses. But that is a whole 'nuther debate.

Steven Wilson
09-12-2006, 3:47 PM
For me, the best case is one that allows you to use the laptop while it's still in the case. I use a Briggs & Riley 20" Upright Business Traveler that is an upright carry-on bag that has a compartment for a laptop in a case (it comes with a case). The case itself is well laid out, protective, small, and light with a very comfortable shoulder strap. For a computer case only take a look at the Briggs & Riley BB148 (17" monitor laptop) or BB108 (15" monitor laptop). I'm not a fan of the Targa cases I've bought in the past and my company still buys me. The Zero Haliburton cases are ok but you have to remove your computer from the case. The best case I had was an Anvil Road case that greatly protected the computer. We detached the screen from the laptop case and mounted the screen behind lexan and the keyboard part was bolted to a suspension system in the case. The top of the case came off so that we could have some wrist support. The computer was basically protected against droping from 5' onto concrete while in use - came in handy when I was doing field work in Saudi.

Rich Konopka
09-12-2006, 5:10 PM
You said Notebook case and I can only recommend

Brenthaven !!! (http://www.brenthaven.com/index.html) Made in the Good ole USA

I have had mine more 8 years and have been through 5 laptops with the 6th soon to arrive.

Matt Meiser
09-12-2006, 7:17 PM
Whatever you get, consider a rolling one. A laptop bag gets heavy.

JayStPeter
09-12-2006, 8:45 PM
I've got a backpack from spireusa.com. If something happened to it today, I'd get another right away. I've had about 10 different laptop cases and finally found the one. It makes the laptop feel lighter just because it's so comfortable, even just slung over one shoulder. Protection is as good as anything else (at least anything else that is useable on a day-to-day basis). Also doesn't look like a laptop bag.

Jay

Mike Jones NM
09-12-2006, 9:53 PM
I carry mine from the house to the ranch every day. Spends lots of time bouncing around in the front of a 4X4 also.
Best case I have found is an aluminum tool case from Lowes, paid about $20.00 for it. Comes with the foam insert that you pull the little squares out to fit what you want in it. Looks like an aluminum brief case.

Greg Ladd
09-13-2006, 10:21 AM
Yes we are looking for a case for a laptop.

For good or bad we have purchased a Dell laptop already. It is our 5th Dell computer and overall I have been pleased with their service.

My son is attending the University of Cincinnati majoring in Aerospace Engineering. The university recommends the Dell machines, gets a discount from Dell and has a representative on campus. I hope he doesn't have problems...time will tell.

Thank you everyone for the advice. I will mention this thread to my son and see what he thinks. I must say the $20 aluminum case at Lowe's sounds pretty good to a tuition-poor parent right now!

Thanks again,
Greg

Frank Fusco
09-13-2006, 10:41 AM

For good or bad we have purchased a Dell laptop already. It is our 5th Dell computer and overall I have been pleased with their service.

My son is attending the University of Cincinnati majoring in Aerospace Engineering. The university recommends the Dell machines, gets a discount from Dell and has a representative on campus. I hope he doesn't have problems...time will tell.

Thank you everyone for the advice. I will mention this thread to my son and see what he thinks. I must say the $20 aluminum case at Lowe's sounds pretty good to a tuition-poor parent right now!

Thanks again,
Greg

My experience with Dell support has generally been good. But they do suffer from the same problems as everyone else in the computer and software business. Their tech support gets overloaded at certain peak hours. My best luck getting the guys and gals in Calcutta is to get on the phone about 5 a.m. on Sundays. I know, rotsaruck getting a college student to get up at that time. But it works.

Chip Charnley
09-13-2006, 12:10 PM

Thanks again,
Greg

Greg and anyone else out there with Dell Laptops,

Dell has just had a major recall of laptop batteries. If you have not already received notification, go to their web site and check out to see if your machine is affected. If it is, get a replacement.

Oh, and just because it happens to intersect with the recommendations on this thread, all the batteries being recalled were purchased from SONY. :rolleyes:

Chip

Mike Williams
09-17-2006, 9:56 AM
... I use a Briggs & Riley 20" Upright Business Traveler that is an upright carry-on bag that has a compartment for a laptop in a case (it comes with a case). The case itself is well laid out, protective, small, and light with a very comfortable shoulder strap. For a computer case only take a look at the Briggs & Riley BB148 (17" monitor laptop) or BB108 (15" monitor laptop)...

Greg - I'll second Steven's comments on the Briggs & Riley computer bags - and the rest of their luggage line. I've gone through a lot of bags in 30 years of international travel, and these are the best I've found. They are very functional bags. One advantage is their no-questions-asked warranty for repair, including damage by the airlines (not that you would normally be checking a laptop bag :rolleyes: ). Repairs are also available world-wide.

They are not cheap, but they are extremely good value.

Ned Bulken
09-17-2006, 2:41 PM
I'd take a good look at Pelican cases, that's what I used to protect my camera equipment when I was a road photographer. Hefty, yes, but just about bulletproof.

Frank Hagan
09-17-2006, 2:47 PM
For me, the best case is one that allows you to use the laptop while it's still in the case. I use a Briggs & Riley 20" Upright Business Traveler that is an upright carry-on bag that has a compartment for a laptop in a case (it comes with a case).

I'll second the vote for a Briggs and Riley case. I'm on my second one in the last 15 years, and no, they do not last that long. The first one is still good, I just "downsized" to a smaller laptop bag when I started spending more time in the office than out of it.

They aren't cheap though. My ballistic nylon case was on sale for $110, and my leather case was on sale for $200. A series of $20 bags would probably do as well, with frequent replacements (yearly, for me), but I like the look, feel and reliability of a quality made case. You usually won't find Briggs and Riley at a computer store; look in a luggage shop.

Che Regnier
09-17-2006, 3:39 PM
Hello -

I have a Dell also - Like it alot - its an Inspirion 9300 -
I had trouble finiding a decent case at an affordable price.

My Laptop was too large for most case - I thought about the Metal Case - I am on construction sites and in meetings. The metal case would protect - But was bulky and had little other storage.

I went with a $40.00 Targus bag at Best Buy -
Lots of file folder size storage - it fits a cord and mouse. The shoulder harness is durable and ok comfort when walking around. Has brief case type-o handle. I am also able to store disks, pens, markers - tape measure and other essentials. They have several pockets and a zipper bag for cord storage.

It provides good soft pad protection. Not as good as a steel case. There are always trade offs. This bag offered the best options at an affordable price.

Good Luck

Hope