PDA

View Full Version : Question about RW Disks

Peter Stahl
09-12-2006, 6:35 AM
I'm using RW disks to backup info on my PC at work which is really a SC (Shared Computer by many) When I go to delete files off the disk it says they are read only. I thought I could add and remove files like a hard drive? I went to the properties for the file and uncheck read only but still couldn't delete them. I'm using XP Pro and using the disk with windows explorer. Is there a special way to remove files from a RW disk. Nothing special about the disk, it's just a Sony RW 700 MB disk. Thanks for any help.

Pete

Dave Richards
09-12-2006, 6:59 AM
Is the burner an RW burner or just a writer? That might have something to do with it.

Peter Stahl
09-12-2006, 7:28 AM
Is the burner an RW burner or just a writer? That might have something to do with it.

I didn't think there was such a burner. I'm pretty sure it goes both ways.

Joe Pelonio
09-12-2006, 8:12 AM
I'm no expert but I always thought that the typical CD RW allows you to add more files or to erase the whole thing and start over only. You needed to have special Universal Disc Format (UDF) software to be able to use it
as if it were a hard drive, and that limits the capacity, and wears out the cd faster.

Al Willits
09-12-2006, 8:29 AM
May not have caught what ya said right, but wouldn't just formatting the disc erase it?

Al

Mark Patoka
09-12-2006, 9:10 AM
If your CD drive is only a CD-R drive, you can only write to the disk, even if it is CD-RW. You should be able to erase the files if you use it on a computer that has a CD-RW drive.

Peter Stahl
09-12-2006, 11:55 AM
I'm no expert but I always thought that the typical CD RW allows you to add more files or to erase the whole thing and start over only. You needed to have special Universal Disc Format (UDF) software to be able to use it
as if it were a hard drive, and that limits the capacity, and wears out the cd faster.

I didn't know they had to be formatted like that in order to be used like a hard drive/ floppy disk. I'll give one a try, I may have one like that already that I use on my old PC.

thanks, Pete

Peter Stahl
09-12-2006, 11:57 AM
May not have caught what ya said right, but wouldn't just formatting the disc erase it?

Al

I'm not going to remove stuff very often but I would like the option to do so. I only wanted to delete a few files. Thanks for the reply.

Al Willits
09-12-2006, 4:26 PM
Pete, can you load the CD, then go to "my computor" then the drive the CD is in, open that and delete the files you want to???

Al