PDA

View Full Version : shop versus job site work....oih

Mark Singer
09-12-2006, 12:46 AM
Having just finished the house on Balboa Ave, I can attest to some observations.....workshop work versus job site...major difference. For somebody building as many years as me, you would have thought I learned a lesson or two....nah the memory is weak and time does a good job blurring pain and hard work....
In your shop all the tools are there....you need something...."second drawer down...." chisels, the right screw, a square all so handy... In the field on a jobsite....like a 3 story house....carry the compressor down....back up...carry the saw down...back up...woops I forgot the bracket....drive back and get it. What a serious pain! You try to bring it all....you always forget something , or more likely 3 things:rolleyes:
Now I am looking forward to shop time.....like the sushi chef I am contemplating the fish....trying to see the finished execution and presentation....and enjoying the pleasure of working in a single story shop and the sounds that seem so familiar.....and getting the correct tool for the job.....I can open paint can with a screw....a lock with a paper clip....a beer with my shoe...

Don Baer
09-12-2006, 12:51 AM
Mark,
Looks to me like you need a simple project. Take some time before you tackle your next major project. Build something like a sofa or something. Oh, wait, I'm talking to Mark Singer there is nothing simple in what he does...:D

Hey Mark, I have an Idea, get yourself a Lathe and get into the near instant gratification form of woodworking...:D

Mark Singer
09-12-2006, 1:03 AM
Mark,
Looks to me like you need a simple project. Take some time before you tackle your next major project. Build something like a sofa or something. Oh, wait, I'm talking to Mark Singer there is nothing simple in what he does...:D

Hey Mark, I have an Idea, get yourself a Lathe and get into the near instant gratification form of woodworking...:D

Don,
A lathe would only make me more dizzy....:confused:

Chris Padilla
09-12-2006, 1:14 AM
Don,
A lathe would only make me more dizzy....:confused:

Mark, you don't sit on it while it is running...you stand to the side a little bit.... ;)

Mark Singer
09-12-2006, 1:19 AM
Chris....

That expains a whole lot.....I did get very good results with pizza and made a little money charging for rides from small kids:rolleyes:

Jim Becker
09-12-2006, 3:55 AM
Indeed, the "comforts" of the shop do tend to be forgotten until you are faced with working somewhere else! Good commentary.

tod evans
09-12-2006, 7:47 AM
mark, i can sympathize i`m doing sight work for the first time in years and it`s really a challenge after being spoiled in the shop for so long.....tod

Frank Pellow
09-12-2006, 7:49 AM
I probably work more on the job site than I do in my shop, and Mark you are correct about it being easier both have and to locate tools and parts in the shop.

But, with my aquisition of several Festool systainers as well as some home-made systainer-like and systainer-supporting containers over the last three years, I am much better organized on the job site as well. I use these not just for Festool tools but for other power tools, for non-power tools, for screws, etc. :)

Steve Ash
09-12-2006, 8:01 AM
I can't argue with the shop being easy to get what you want and know where to get it, but when I am building houses, etc....I have a 12 x 8 jobsite trailer with everything in it. Only downfall is if someone steals my trailer...there goes all my tools.

Richard Wolf
09-12-2006, 5:19 PM
I know what you are talking about. The only way I can survive, with 2 shop days and 4 job site days a week, is to have a truck that is always loaded and tools do not move from the truck to the shop or other way around. It means I have double and triple of most tools, and I'm not sure if that's a bad thing or a good thing.

Richard

D.McDonnel "Mac"
09-12-2006, 6:30 PM
I am in charge of the building and grounds at Church. Whenever I go down there to do any major work half the work is getting everythiing in the truck that I will need! Inevitably I forget something and have to make another 20 mile trip or figure a work around. It is always a relief to come back to a job in my shop. I can only imagine what a hassle it is for those of you that make your living doing the work. I think I'd be like Richard and have a trailed/truck for working in the field and leave the shop tools in the shop.

Enjoy the shop Mark for again you will find yourself in the field looking for that one tool you need............

Mac

Charles McKinley
09-13-2006, 10:14 PM
I'm with Steve and Richard and vote for a dedicated vehicle loaded for the field.