PDA

View Full Version : Laguna Model LT16

Scott Sallyards
09-12-2006, 12:31 AM
Has anyone used the Laguna Model LT16. If you have what is your review. I'm looking for a new band saw and like what I see in the reviews. The price on the Lugua site is $1,395.00. What accessories have you purchased? I would love to here from any woodworkers who have experience on this machine.

Thanks

Scott

Greg Peterson
09-12-2006, 12:52 AM
Buddy of mine has one. Used it briefly. Worked great and did what I wanted it to do without compromise, which IMO is what a good tool is all about.

I also frequently used a 21" Delta in shop class. It too does what I as it to do. but if I had to choose, I'd go with the Laguna. Just 'feels' better. Inspires more confidence?

Chris Barton
09-12-2006, 6:59 AM
I have the LT16HD and love it. The version you are looking at is the "classic" and is a good saw but, it come with the standard euro guides so, if you are expecting the ceramic guides you will either have to pay more or go for the LT16HD.

Steve Wargo
09-12-2006, 7:51 AM
I too have the 16HD. I love it, and wouldn't trade it for anything, except a 24" model. I purchased the miter gauge with it. I'd wouldn't recommend it. Good luck, don't think you can go wrong with any of the Laguna Bandsaws, but the Laguna Guides are certainly worth the extra $$$.

John Shuk
09-12-2006, 9:32 AM
I have an LT16. It is powerful and solid. I bought on of the first of the new generation and had issues that were never really solved to my satisfaction. A bad switch and a bit more vibration that I think is OK. I think you'll find those issues have been addressed I'm pretty sure ceramic guides ARE a standard item on every Laguna bandsaw these days.I think the ceramic guides are a bit overhyped. I find that I have to readjust mine when I move the guard up or down very much. It is enough of a nuisance that I find myself looking for other ways to make some cuts. I could have easily used ball bearing guides to do what I want. I don't give Laguna high marks for customer service. Some people have been very pleased however mine isn't an isolated case. I have to question why a company that holds itself above many others don't offer a warranty to match. I haven't seen a Steel City bandsaw but they have a five year warranty. I'd like to have seen something like that. This is just my experience.

Jim DeLaney
09-12-2006, 4:07 PM
I've had mine for about three years. It came 'standard' with the ceramic guides.

Mine has the (at the time, optional) Baldor motor, the mobility kit, and the foot brake.

I've resawed 12" wide cherry and walnut, and a whole variety of other woods, with no problems or complaints whatsoever.

At the time I bought mine, I lived about five miles from the Laguna Showroom. The LT-16's were back-ordered, and they kept delaying delivery, even though I'd already paid for it. After making about half a dozen (increasingly hostile) trips to the Laguna offices, they finally gave me one of the two LT-16's that they'd been prepping for an American Woodworker magazine article - just to get me off their back.

The only problem I've had, to date, is that a couple of the ceramic pieces on the guides came off the steel holder. Laguna gave me half a dozen new ceramic pieces, and told me they use Loctite super glue to fasten the ceramic to the steel. I glued mine back on, and have had no further problems.

Steve Rowe
09-12-2006, 9:21 PM
I have used a LT-16HD at a woodworking school and it is a very nice and smooth running saw. In some respects it is as good or better than my older LT-18.

Steve

richard poitras
09-13-2006, 12:49 PM
I have also been in the market for a new band saw for re-sawing I was just wondering what the differences or benefits between the euro guides and the ceramic guides are and what are best for re-sawing…. Thanks

tod evans
09-13-2006, 1:10 PM
I have also been in the market for a new band saw for re-sawing I was just wondering what the differences or benefits between the euro guides and the ceramic guides are and what are best for re-sawing…. Thanks

richard, what are you wanting to resaw? i bog down a 9hp saw quite often so a 16 may be a little small if you`re going to be doing lots of resawing..tod

richard poitras
09-13-2006, 1:23 PM
At this time all I am looking at cutting is 12-size material max all hard woods, mostly kilm dried material, book matching, exct. And may be a log now and then ,smaller sized, only ones I can lift and put on the saw 16’’ long at most

tod evans
09-13-2006, 1:25 PM
you`ll do fine with a 16" saw....i`m fond of bearings for guides but it`s a matter of personal preference....tod

richard poitras
09-13-2006, 1:41 PM
Todd what would you say would be the smallest horse power for a 16’’ saw I noticed some saws have 2hrp and seemed kind of under powered to me, what is your opinion

tod evans
09-13-2006, 1:52 PM
richard, 3 1/2 hp and up for a saw to do well resawing. the ability to tension a blade properly and well designed guides are equally important. sure you can resaw on a 14" with a riser kit and decient guides but you`ll beat yourself and the saw doing it. as with most tools the more you spend the better the tool.....only you can decide the need vs want. most european saws on the market do well resawing but they carry the pricetag to match their performance....tod

richard poitras
09-13-2006, 2:02 PM
Todd ,thanks for your insight and I also hope that this helps Scott with his decision on band saws …….

Scott Sallyards
09-13-2006, 3:14 PM
I have spoken to the sales department at Laguna and they told me the cost of shipping is $338.12 form Irvine CA to Orlando FL. Seems like quite a bit does anyone have any other shiping ideas.

Thanks

Scott Sallyards

Steve Rowe
09-13-2006, 10:42 PM
I have spoken to the sales department at Laguna and they told me the cost of shipping is $338.12 form Irvine CA to Orlando FL. Seems like quite a bit does anyone have any other shiping ideas.

Thanks

Scott Sallyards

Actually, that rate sounds pretty good. All the machines that Laguna has shipped to me have been for residential delivery (costs more) and liftgate service (also costs more). If the rate you have been quoted includes those items, it is a great quote.
Steve

Chris Barton
09-14-2006, 7:55 AM
Yea, I'm with Steve on this one. $338 to move 850lbs of iron about 3,000 miles isn't bad. Be perpared to pay additional for the lift gate service. Laguna doesn't usually set that up for you, they give you the local freight delivery service number to you and you make the call. It's usually another 50-75.