PDA

View Full Version : Altendorf WA-80

Barry Johnson
09-11-2006, 11:19 PM
I am looking into puchasing a Altendorf WA-80. There is a lot of chat of the SW315, which I am also considering and although it is a good saw I woulld like to hear from anyone with experience of the Altendorf saw. IF one has the extra cash is it a worthwhile upgrade? Looking forward to hearing opinions on the WA-80.

Chris Padilla
09-11-2006, 11:29 PM
Barry, I know diddley-squat about Altendorf and Martin and any other of the high-price, high-end sliding saw systems. I can imagine for the price, they must be a shear joy and pleasure to use and if the money is there, they could probably be bought sight unseen. I buy my BMWs like that all time...never went on a test drive...just knew it would be an awesome car and it has yet to let me down.

Now Minimax does make some good stuff, that I can atest to as I have an FS-41Elite combo jointer/planer (16") that is a pleasure to use.

One further thing I'd like to mention: the price difference between the two is quite dramatic. What about looking at Felder, which falls roughly between the two, as well?

Fill out your location, Barry...from where do you hail? Oh, and this being your first post, let me welcome you to the Saw Mill Creek! :)

Paul B. Cresti
09-11-2006, 11:36 PM
Barry,
All I can say in Chinese!!!!!! It is a shame that they went to that. The F-45 I do believe is still made in Germany though. Personally if I was going to ever buy an Altendorf it would either be the full blown Elmo or nothing at all. Same thing goes for Martin...either the new T-74 (73?) or nothing at all. The new one just does not make sense being so cheap in Martin terms...makes me wonder?????

Do take a look at the MM S35 and the S40 also....very very serious machines. As far as that other brand....what is the name??? I think it is green or something ;) ...well I will say mum is the word

Chris Padilla
09-11-2006, 11:43 PM
As far as that other brand....what is the name??? I think it is green or something ;) ...well I will say mum is the word

Festool? :confused: :confused:

Paul B. Cresti
09-11-2006, 11:55 PM
Festool? :confused: :confused:

Nope I own quite a bit of the Festool green stuff.... I just can not bring myself to even say/type that other "green" stuff...it just gives me the heebee geebees :D It is bad enough I have their DC in my shop....what was I thinking or should I say why didn't I think.

Barry Johnson
09-12-2006, 12:20 AM
I was informed by their sales person the WA-80 IS German, although the WA-8 is the Chinese production model. As an aside, I have been to China many times - they are going to build everything for the world eventually. China is still far from the high quality manufacturing end, but they are improving. I am old enough to remember the "cheap Toyota and Datsun" and now if one wants a premier car they will consider some of these cars. There is a lesson there.

Niels J. Larsen
09-12-2006, 1:27 AM
Nope I own quite a bit of the Festool green stuff.... I just can not bring myself to even say/type that other "green" stuff...it just gives me the heebee geebees :D It is bad enough I have their DC in my shop....what was I thinking or should I say why didn't I think.

Are you talking about Felder ??

If so - what's so bad about it ?

/Niels

Ed Kowaski
09-12-2006, 2:59 AM
Barry I've owned an F-45 ( mid 80's) and a S315 (2006). I'd really need much more detail on your operation to have an opinion. How much material is cut, what is it, how many use the saw that type of thing.

I don't know the current Altendorfs but I'd venture a guess that you get what you pay for.

Paul B. Cresti
09-12-2006, 7:47 AM
Barry,
Did not see that extra "0" on there....was not aware that a WA-80 was available. If it is that cheap in realtion to their main line F-45/Elmo I still do wonder how they meet that price point. After all the standard of living in Germany is going up not down.

I too remember when some of the stuff from Japan was called "cheap" and that of course seems to have changed. Yes eventually some of these other Asian exporters may "catch up" but they are not there yet by a long shot on all of the machines. It is your money but I would not take a chance.

Paul B. Cresti
09-12-2006, 7:56 AM
Are you talking about Felder ??

If so - what's so bad about it ?

/Niels

Niels,
In my humbe opinion...over hyped, over priced, serious attitude issues from the company and that is just for starters ;) . We all form our own opinions for various reasons and through our own experiences. These just happen to be mine as I am sure others have formulated their own.

Niels J. Larsen
09-12-2006, 8:23 AM
Niels,
In my humbe opinion...over hyped, over priced, serious attitude issues from the company and that is just for starters ;) . We all form our own opinions for various reasons and through our own experiences. These just happen to be mine as I am sure others have formulated their own.

Hmm, now you've got me a bit worried as I've just aquired a used RL125 clean-air dust collector.

Are you saying that what I've bought is likely to be a bad product ?

I can follow you on the overpricing - don't know about the hype and attitude issues - care to explain ?

/Niels

tod evans
09-12-2006, 8:53 AM
barry, what i know of altendorf is that they`re top notch saws. i`ve driven the f-45 and it is a great saw! that said i`m a one man band and i spent my money on minimax. if you`re looking at saws in the altendorf price bracket look at martin and scmi also, spend lots of time reading and driving the saws you`re looking at before you cut a check you`re speaking of way too much money to have any regrets down the road. good luck in your quest and please keep us informed.
welcome to smc! ..02 tod

Cliff Rohrabacher
09-12-2006, 9:25 AM
Isn't Altendorf in a reorginization?