PDA

View Full Version : Snakewood Pen **PIC**

Ken Salisbury
10-10-2003, 7:40 AM
My friend Mike Johnson from Atlanta sent me a small piece of snakewood about 6 months ago (more or less)which I was able to get 3 pen blanks out of. I had never encountered snakewood before.

Yesterday while preparing pen blanks for an upcoming show I made this pen. Now I know why they call it snakewood - it looks just like snake skin. Hopefully I will get around to using the other 2 blanks soon.

Thanks Mike !!

Halsey MCCombs
10-10-2003, 11:47 AM
Another nice pen Ken,you sure keep them coming.If you don't mind what do you use for glue when you put them together?Halsey

Ken Salisbury
10-10-2003, 12:10 PM
If you don't mind what do you use for glue when you put them together?Halsey

I use Titebond Polyurethane glue to glue the tubes in the blanks.

Von Bickley
10-10-2003, 12:38 PM
Ken,

Great looking work as usual. Thanks for sharing the picture. I have never heard of snakewood until now.

Mike Johnson
10-10-2003, 1:30 PM
Say, Ken,

That wood sure looks a lot better than it did when I sent it to you. Beautiful work, as always.

Mike

Ken Salisbury
10-10-2003, 1:36 PM
Say, Ken,

That wood sure looks a lot better than it did when I sent it to you. Beautiful work, as always.

Mike

That's what I thought when I saw it "what the !$+# does Mike think I can make out of this junk" :D

Just goes to dispute the old saying that "you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear". :D

Doug Littlejohn
10-10-2003, 4:17 PM
Another nice exotic. Have you ever used leapordwood (sp?)? From what I've seen, it's kind of like snakewood on drugs. Really, really gnarled patterns.

THanks for sharing another beaut!!