PDA

View Full Version : Help -- Dust Collection

Scot Ferraro
09-11-2006, 9:34 PM
Hi everyone,

I am new to SMC but I am glad that I found this site. I have enjoyed reading alot of the posts and I have learned a few things already. I am in need of upgrading my dust collection. I have researched Mr. Pentz's site, conducted lots of research on the web as well as reviews in magazines, etc.... and I think that I am even more confused than when I started. The fact of the matter is that I do not have the room for central dust collection -- Clear Vue or any other type of stationary cyclone unit. I wish I did and someday....but, with that said, what would SMC's woodworkers recommend? I see that Oneida has a new "portable" cyclone unit that seems appealing and it looks like this might be one way to go, but does it filter the fine dust good enough or is it just an expensive chip collector (which I already own one). Does anyone have any experience with this unit -- it's pretty new? I have a Delta air cleaner mounted on the ceiling and as I said, room is at a premium. I can live with hooking the collector up to each machine as I need to use them.

I also have another question -- I have an overhead saw guard (Excaliber) on my table saw. What is the best way to connect both of these to a portable? It seems that flex-hose and a "y" connector might be too inefficient but maybe that is because my portable Penn- State just does not have the CFM to cut it.

I appreciate any and all comments/recommendations Thanks in Advance.

Scot

Julio Navarro
09-11-2006, 11:11 PM
Scott:

It sounds like your options are very limited.

Any small system you use would need to be supplimented by shop vac hook ups.

I have a 3hp cyclone I built using Bill Pentz's design and I still have need to use the old shop vac to get to places I cant run a duct or hose.

Good luck how ever you solve it.

Chris Padilla
09-11-2006, 11:37 PM
Scot,

Welcome to The Creek! Do you have any pics of your space? Maybe it can help us to help you.

Also, fill out your location...always nice to where you are! :)

Cecil Arnold
09-12-2006, 12:31 AM
Welcome to the creek Scott. Have you looked at/considered Clear Vues new, smaller unit?

Scot Ferraro
09-14-2006, 12:26 AM
Thanks for the response. Does anyone know or thought of putting a Cyclone unit such as the Clear Vue on casters so that it too could be mobile? I suppose that there might be issues with stability. My issue is that I do not have any permanent space at this point -- I share my shop with the cars (as I am sure many others here do as well). When I get to work on a project, cars move out, everything is on mobile bases and I move them into the center of the garage and when I am through, everything gets pushed back to the perimeter and the cars are pulled in. I have no problem connecting to each machine as I use it. I just would like to hear from others about their recommendations/suggestions on portable units, if anyone has experience with the new Oneida portable or is it just overpriced? Again, I appreciate everyone's help. BTW, I am really enjoying this site -- very friendly and helpful group of folks. Thanks!

Bill Pentz
09-14-2006, 2:03 AM
Thanks for the response. Does anyone know or thought of putting a Cyclone unit such as the Clear Vue on casters so that it too could be mobile? I suppose that there might be issues with stability. My issue is that I do not have any permanent space at this point -- I share my shop with the cars (as I am sure many others here do as well). When I get to work on a project, cars move out, everything is on mobile bases and I move them into the center of the garage and when I am through, everything gets pushed back to the perimeter and the cars are pulled in. I have no problem connecting to each machine as I use it. I just would like to hear from others about their recommendations/suggestions on portable units, if anyone has experience with the new Oneida portable or is it just overpriced? Again, I appreciate everyone's help. BTW, I am really enjoying this site -- very friendly and helpful group of folks. Thanks!

Scott,

The Clear Vue Cyclones have come in a smaller version for a few months. Here is a picture or you can go to the Clear Vue web pages (http://www.ClearVueCyclone.com)for more information.

http://clearvuecyclones.com/images/4%20In%20RH%20System.jpg

That Clear Vue smaller cyclone could fairly easily be adpated to a frame that rolls around. Likewise, you can build your own cyclone from my plans and mount your blower down low like on a dust collector then easily make a push through type cyclone. Here are some drawings to show what I mean by side outlet.

http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/CycloneSideOutlet.gifhttp://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/CycloneSideOutlet2.gif

If you want more information, please email me at bpentz@cnets.net.

bill

Doug Shepard
09-14-2006, 7:51 AM
Scot
If you have room in your garage rafters, there may be an alternative. I'm currently going through a ClearVue install on the smaller unit that Bill referred to. Had a furnace not gone kaputt recently I would be installing the DC on an angle in the rafters. If you look at the first pic on my CV gallery page, there's a diagram showing the orientation.
http://gallery.clearvuecyclones.com/Dougs-Mini-CV1400
Fortunately I was able to grab the corner where the furnace used to be when a gas fireplace insert was installed in the adjoining room. The furnace never heated the garage anyway so I didn't lose anything there.
My ducting will still be running in the rafters though.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
09-14-2006, 8:21 AM
High Scot, welcome.

The issue about cyclones has been muddied by many well meaning people, I went through what you are going through not long ago.

As I'm in Japan, I ended up building a Pentz design cyclone, I'm sure happy with it, my dust seperation is really, really good!

Look Here (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=42818)

ClearVue uses Bill Pentz's design, so if they are making a medium sized unit, I would have great faith in it working VERY well.

Having a dust free (well nearly) shop is a MUST for me, as I'm down in a hole in the ground........really, I call it my "Dungeon".

Good luck, and yes, we LIKE pictures :D