PDA

View Full Version : Where to find 1" cherry button plugs?

Andy Fox
09-11-2006, 2:56 PM
I need to cover some 1" bolt hole counterbores in a cherry cradle with removable face-grain cherry buttons (plugs with a mushroom shape).

I could use a dowel, but I'd like to avoid showing off end grain.

CMT makes a 1" plug cutter, but I don't really want to pay $50 for something I might not need again. (A corollary of Murphy's Law says that it will be a 1 1/4" plug cutter next time.)

Larry Fox
09-11-2006, 3:39 PM
While not an answer to your specific question - how about a decroative bed-bolt cover. For a crib I might be hesitant to put anything easily removed on it (like the plugs).

Ken Fitzgerald
09-11-2006, 3:53 PM
1. Contact a turner Creeker in your area. Have them turn them.

2. Buy a 1" hole saw. They are usually fairly cheap.

Richard Wolf
09-11-2006, 4:20 PM
I don"t know if I have ever seen a real 1" button plug. They usually show up around 1/2" and smaller.
I do have a 1" plug cutter and could send you whatever you need, if this works for you. Let me know if I can help.

Richard

Andy Fox
09-13-2006, 10:36 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to experiment on scrap with how hard it is to remove a dowel plug with a dab of hot melt glue holding it in.

If the dowel seems removable without marring the surrounding wood, yet holds in place well enough to avoid being a choking hazard, I might very carefully try shaping a 1 1/4" button from a block of wood epoxied to the end of a dowel using a 5/8" roundover bit.