PDA

View Full Version : BLO and Lacquer?

Lou Ferrarini
09-11-2006, 12:27 PM
I keep hearing that BLO "Pops the grain" on some woods. My favorite method of finishing has been spray lacquer. Can BLO be used as a sealer instead of lacquer sealer to improve the looks of the wood? If so, what should it be mixed with (if anything).

Thanks,
Lou

Steve Schoene
09-11-2006, 2:42 PM
You can follow BLO with lacquer without problems. BLO works fine just by itself. You can add a dollop of paint thinner if you want, or you can lower the viscosity by warming it a little. One coat is all that is needed to "pop" the grain.

Jim Becker
09-11-2006, 6:37 PM
Lou, one other point in addition to Steve's advise...BLO isn't going to act like a sealer. It will help bring out the character in the wood, but doesn't apreciably add any barrier. You can overcoat with the lacquer after the BLO is cured (about a week or when the smell goes away) or seal sooner with shellac. (which will add more color, in case that is not something you want)

Greg Caputo
09-11-2006, 7:22 PM
Lou:
I've had great results with the BLO followed by spary lacquer method. Not sure which one, but a finishing video I have recommends warming the BLO before applying. I put what I need in a heat resistant glass jar, like a "mason" jar, and put the jar in a pan of water on the stove. Heat the water to just below boiling. Then, since it's pretty warm, I apply the BLO with a rag wrapped around a stick. Does heating help? I'm no expert, but I sure like the way it looks compared to how it looks out of the can or thinned. Let it soak for a bit and wipe off the excess. Check back during the next few hours to make sure none of the oil is continuing to bleed out. I let it cure for at least a week or two, long after the odor has gone, in order to make sure it's ready for the finish. I suspect I could go to the next step sooner, but at this stage of a project I don't want to take any chances. I use water-borne "lacquer" spray with good results.

Greg

Steve Schoene
09-12-2006, 1:07 AM
Good points. I forgot to mention that you need to let the BLO get well cured before the strong solvents in the lacquer are used.

Lacquer doesn't need any "sanding sealer" to work well. The sanding sealer is just an expedient to fill the surface with easy to sand material. But the sealer will make the total finish system a bit weaker than it would have been with just lacquer.

Lou Ferrarini
09-12-2006, 8:21 AM
Great advice, as usual from you guys. I will try the warmed BLO on my next project.